Runners - what's the hardest part of running for you?

Options

Replies

• nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Mine is being motivated to run in the heat.
    Fall, winter & spring I am good, Summer is terrible.

This... I can run forever in cold weather, but the heat absolutely destroys me. And of course all the races in my area are in the summer

Yep, the heat and humidity in SC!!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    The debilitating arthritis that will without doubt early onset, culminating in hip and/or knee replacement surgeries. YEAH, that's Good Health alright!!!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    The thing I hate about running sometimes is that some days are AWESOME and others are tough to get through a mile. I need consistancy!
  • amy_wills
    amy_wills Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me is the first 2-3 miles...just warming up and getting into my 'groove'. After the first few miles, Im golden!!!
  • DieselGrrl
    DieselGrrl Posts: 55
    Options
    I have exercise Utacaria. When i run my blood rushes through out my veins, and i get red streaks, and itch really bad (inside itch). Only in the beginning after running for couple weeks my body gets use to it. Most of the time have to take antihistamine to help. So now i'm on track i can run a mile without any complications, so far.

I've always had this problem and never knew quite what it was. I've always just tried to ignore it and work through it, but it is so irritating!
    Are there tests to diagnose this condition? And what type of antihistamine are you on?
    Thanks
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    For me...my legs get more tired than my lungs. Which is actually weird for me because growing up I had exercised induced Asthma. But I grew out of it and after about the first 7 or so minutes I can usually get my breathing under control but my legs tire out. I figure they'll toughen up the more I run though.

The other problem I have is that I'm a mouth breather when I run, so my mouth dries out SO badly and REALLY quickly. I don't typically bring water with me, so I just deal with it.

^^This! Ugh!! I live in the desert, and it is terrible. I'm thinking about getting one of those belts with the little water bottles attached. Maybe then I could think about something besides the water bottle that is sitting on my front porch waiting for me...
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have exercise Utacaria. When i run my blood rushes through out my veins, and i get red streaks, and itch really bad (inside itch). Only in the beginning after running for couple weeks my body gets use to it. Most of the time have to take antihistamine to help. So now i'm on track i can run a mile without any complications, so far.

I've always had this problem and never knew quite what it was. I've always just tried to ignore it and work through it, but it is so irritating!
    Are there tests to diagnose this condition? And what type of antihistamine are you on?
    Thanks

I have regular Uticaria...break out in hives if I'm not on antihistamine. I'm on Zyrtec 5mg daily. It helps tremendously! And you can get it over the counter. I believe now there is generic available.

My dog has some allergy skin problems, and now she is on the same meds...go figure! :)
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Hardest part: stomach cramp
    2nd hardest: Knee pain

Stomach cramps always gets to me!!! I find it slows me down a lot!! I HATE IT!
  • kristin1493
    kristin1493 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The first mile, I HATE the first mile. My first mile is almost all uphill too. :mad:
  • Derfmen64
    Derfmen64 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The hardest part for me is the first 2-3 miles...just warming up and getting into my 'groove'. After the first few miles, Im golden!!!

I totally agree, except mine is after finishing the 1st mile and before I finish my 2nd mile. My body is just screaming for me to quit, then it switches into cardio mode and then I'm fine. I've also found that I can't run consecutive days. My joints need at least a day or two of rest to heal.
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    For me, the hard part is the bit around 1/3 of the way into my run when I just think "I want to stop I want to stop I'm tired already arghh!"

But then I tell myself - NO, you did this exact same run the other day, and the day before, and the day before, and got to the end. Don't you dare stop! Think how rubbish you'll feel!

I'd love to be able to run for longer though. My current route takes me 14 mins, and I just can't seem to be able to push myself past that. I want to go on a certain route and just see how far I can run, but I always find that if I have a set ending place in my head I can actually run longer....but there are only short circular routes near where I live. Grrr!
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    For me, lately it has been hitting this wall. I hit mile 3 and I'm good. My legs are prime, but I just get to so tired I wanna lay right there and nap. My brain says keep going, so does my legs... its driving me nuts!
  • sarahmrimmer
    Options
    I'm 33 & I'm a new runner. Just started 2 months ago. I couldn't run down the street and now I'm up to 4.1 miles. I have gone from 12 min miles to 11 min miles. I'm running my first 5k tomorrow! EEEK so excited! In Louisiana the biggest problem for me is heat and humidity. The only time I have to run is late at night and even then its in the 90's and like running through soup! I'm not sure I'll ever be a fast runner, but I'm happy just running. period!!!
  • LelaYang
    LelaYang Posts: 43
    Options
    Once I pass the first 4 miles, I'm in for the clear. I have no idea why it takes me 4 miles to get in the zone...but that seems to be my mark.
  • NaschKatze86
    NaschKatze86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Uh stomache cramps, I did use to have those when I ran in the morning on an empty stomache, after 15-20 mins I always felt terrible and it felt like im gonna *kitten* myself. It was really nasty and hard to ingore.
    Now I do my morning run after a tiny ammount of breakfast (porridge from 20g oats and skinny milk) and the problem is gone, so far.
    Now my "biggest" problem is that if I forget my earphones on a treadmill session and have to stare at the empty wall for the entire session ugh..
  • niffer5150
    niffer5150 Posts: 10
    Options
    right now it's either my shoes or my socks but something is giving me blisters on the tops of my toes after a few hours. that and my treadmill sucks for running but it's just too hot outside.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You can still run pretty fast with age; Bernard Lagat is 37 years old; Haile is 39. Don't expect to have many 70-80, high mileage weeks though.
    I wouldn't call 37 and 39 "with age".:smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For me? The first mile (it takes me a while to get into a good breathing pattern).
    And, heat and humidity.
  • rugby1725
    rugby1725 Posts: 4
    Options
    Duplicate deleted
  • rugby1725
    rugby1725 Posts: 4
    Options
    For me, the hard part is the bit around 1/3 of the way into my run when I just think "I want to stop I want to stop I'm tired already arghh!"

But then I tell myself - NO, you did this exact same run the other day, and the day before, and the day before, and got to the end. Don't you dare stop! Think how rubbish you'll feel!

I'd love to be able to run for longer though. My current route takes me 14 mins, and I just can't seem to be able to push myself past that. I want to go on a certain route and just see how far I can run, but I always find that if I have a set ending place in my head I can actually run longer....but there are only short circular routes near where I live. Grrr!

Try running about 2/3 of the way and then turn around. You still have an endpoint and you added 1/3 of your distance.