Fish Oil - Does it really help with weight loss?

Options
I'm reading conflicting stories on whether fish oil is beneficial to weight loss. Some say yes, some say no.

Does anyone take it? Has it worked for you?

What's the best type to take? Kind that doesnt have a bad after taste or causes you to burp fish?

Replies

• RunningSphynx
    Options
    I am curious as well! Hope someone responds back.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I'm reading conflicting stories on whether fish oil is beneficial to weight loss. Some say yes, some say no.

Does anyone take it? Has it worked for you?

What's the best type to take? Kind that doesnt have a bad after taste or causes you to burp fish?

I've never read that it helps with weight loss, just that it's very good for you.

I take it. Some do have 'fish burps'. Flax meal or flax oil and some other non-fish foods are also good sources of omega-3.

A doctor told me many bottles on the shelf are rancid, so bite into a capsule and if it doesn't have fresh, slightly lemony taste like good canned tuna, take it back.
  • pinkly14fun2
    Options
    I don't know about for weight loss, but I take it for my cholesterol. It is hard for me to determine the weight loss because when I started on it, I also radically changed my eating habits. I have yet to burp fish from taking it :laugh:
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I started taking 6 grams of fish oil a day about 2 months ago for heart health (2 1 gram pills 3x a day with each meal). Not sure if it's helped or hurt except I'm down almost 15 lbs in those 2 months so I would say it didn't hurt. I have never heard they are good for weight loss but I have definitely heard they are great for your health.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    personally I don't think it is making me lose faster. I do take it though because I know it's good for heart health. I recommend it for that alone, gotta be good to your heart. But even the ones that boast no fishy aftertaste still do I think. The Krill mega-red is the best for that though. And I take it with a meal so I don't feel like I've been sucking on a trout.:tongue:
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I took fish oil capsules to try an lower my cholesterol, I saw little results until I started adding flax seed meal to my food. If the smell or taste bothers you, you can always pop them into the freezer to mask it
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I take it for an "eye health" problem (per doc's orders), but not for weight loss. It has worked wonderfully for my particular ailment, although I occasionally get "fish burps" if I am active before it digests.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I take two purified capsules in the morning with my multi-vitamin. Can't hurt!
  • crush86
    crush86 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil...My Dr. recommended it for my cholesterol and to help aid my weight loss. Since taking it I have lost about 35 lbs. Along with diet and exercise...So...maybe it helps?! :)
  • Stuz359
    Stuz359 Posts: 81
    Options
    Not sure it's great for weight loss, but the health benefits would far outweigh any potential negative effect on weight loss, and it would only be very slight if there were.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've taken it for a while. I haven't noticed any real difference with it helping with weight loss, but I started taking it to help lower my bad cholesterol and up my good cholesterol, and that's definitely worked. It is also supposed to help brain functioning and mood, and maybe it does, so I'm going to keep on taking it.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I do get fish burps if I take it without a meal. And I've tried taking it with something small like a piece of fruit and that won't help. Most of my vitamins and supplements I take in the morning with a yogurt but I wait till a bigger meal like lunch to take the fish oil. That eliminates the fish burps. Krill is a good one though, much less aftertaste than other brands and tiny in size compared to some on the market.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It has lots of benefits from the Omega 3's. But weight loss is not one of them. Calorie deficits help with weight loss.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Lot of health benefits for fish oil. Weight loss, however, isn't one of them.

EDIT - D'oh, should've read all the way down. Taso would've saved me some typing. :tongue:
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Jamie Eason's LiveFit weight trainer program next week and she recommends it for aiding weight loss, but like I said, I'm not finding any studies that prove that. I have heard it helps with muscle soreness which can't hurt if I'm going to be lifting heavier weights.

Great feedback from everyone.
  • butterfliesflyfree
    Options
    Two days ago my husband had a scare. He had really bad chest pains. His EKG came back abnormal. Immediately his doctor insisted that he is to start taking fish oil, her words exactly were,"I want you to load up on the fish oil." Now, with that said, I want to let you all know that I have a co-worker whose diet consists of fish oil. We both were overweight, however everyday she begin taking the fish oil in March of that particular year and by Christmas the same year she was 45 lbs. lighter, and I was 15 lbs., heavier. She told me that she also walks everyday on the treadmill for about 20 minutes. Also,she cut out the drinking of alcohol. One more thing, she told me that the fish oil made her feel better and it help her cleanse. I'm going for it!
  • rinnismom
    rinnismom Posts: 190
    Options
    interesting question... i was researching for vitamins/minerals/supplements that could help with weight-loss and i found this one article that talked about how flaxseed oil or fish oil can help promote weight loss. though the guy backed up his opinion with a bunch of facts, i didn't really seem to see it the way he did, not to say that he was wrong....

i take 1000 mg a day of fish oil in the morning with my other vitamins (multi-vitamin/multi-mineral, kelp, selenium).

i've never seen it help/hurt my weight-loss because i struggle to lose anything. i take it because i'm really active and my joints need all the help, nutrients, and recovery they can get.

i've never had fish burps, either. regardless what i eat/drink when i take them, if i'm active, if i'm not.... it's never happened and, with all honesty, i don't want to experience one, either, lol.

unless your doctor says otherwise, or you're vegetarian (flaxseed oil is what vegetarians use), it doesn't hurt. i wish there were a site out there that i could check with to see if i'm taking the right things. if anyone knows of a good one, please share. (sorry OP, not trying to hijack your thread)
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,036 Member
    Options
    I started taking them last week for heart health. I take the burpless capsules and have not had any problems. I don't know if they help with weight loss though.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    No, there is no magic pill to help lose weight. They are good for the Omega 3.