Options
2»

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Try the various calculators on this website for your BF%:
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

I'm with Sarauk2sf - 38% sounds way too high at your height and weight.
    The best methods for BF% calculation are getting it professionally tested using hydrostatic displacement/Bod Pod, or a DEXA scan. Next best is using calipers by an experienced qualified person, circumference methods can probably get you +/-~4% accuracy, unless you are very fit or very overweight. Least accurate is bioelectrical impedence.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I started lifting last week; I've been using the exercises from this website. I don't do the ones which require the weight bench, because I don't have one. You will need to buy heavier weights as your muscles get accustomed to the ones you're using. The only way to advance is use a heavier weight.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/information/weight-lifting-for-women.htm
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Jari Love. She has awesome strength training DVDs. My favorite is the Extremely Ripped. But she has others that are very good. She does compound moves and high reps with lower weights. I normally use 5-8lbs.
  • morgan_mfit
    morgan_mfit Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have very similar stats and I have been strength training for about 3 weeks now. I have done JM's videos (30DS and Ripped in 30) and saw results but never got through all 30 days, it was just too repetitive I think.

Do you have an iThing? Like an iPhone or iPad? There are some great apps out there for strength training. I have been using the Nike Training Club app which has like 100+ workouts just for strength (and it's FREE). The equipment you need is some dumbbells (I currently only have 5 lbs so that's what I have been using and I am seeing more muscles so THEY WORK) and a medicine ball.

Otherwise I would check out the womens health magazine website, they have lots of strength workouts that you can do at home and are free to view, print, etc.

Hope this helps!
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I workout at home, no machines or anything except for a set of 2lb and 5lb weights.

Guess nobody reads the op.............

TBH honest you will struggle to do any strength training with no equipment, if you are serious about it join a gym.

I agree. You can't do any muscle building with 2 and 5 pound weights or body weight exercises. You need to join a gym if you don't have the necessary equipment and you're serious about getting into a weight training program.

This just isn't true. A beginner especially can build a lot of strength with bodyweight exercises. If it were that easy, everyone would be able to do chin ups and pushups without training. Fact is, they can't- and bodyweight exercises can get you there. Eventually you'll max out, but when you're fist starting you can definitely strength train without equipment.
    Agreed. and thanks for the page from you are your own gym :)
  • cait0902
    cait0902 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

The best methods for BF% calculation are getting it professionally tested using hydrostatic displacement/Bod Pod, or a DEXA scan. Next best is using calipers by an experienced qualified person, circumference methods can probably get you +/-~4% accuracy, unless you are very fit or very overweight. Least accurate is bioelectrical impedence.

This calculator says my bf% is 26.9
  • Alonnea
    Alonnea Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I just started New Rules of Lifting for Women and so far love it. I do go to the gym so use the weights there but they do give you at home options for a lot of the exercises. Also some suggestions on items you can invest in if you plan on staying at home to do your strength training.
  • morgan_mfit
    morgan_mfit Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/workouts <---link to womens health mag workouts
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options

there are three different calculators on that link I got 20.8, 26.4, and 27.4 so personally I wouldn't worry about it too much, I go on measurements n as long as I'm improving, I don't worry about it ;) good luck chick
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Changing your exercise selection from week to week is a good way to make it difficult to impossible to track your progress. Vary what you are doing by adding weight and\or reps as frequently as possible. A beginner on a proper 3 day per week full body routine should be able to add weight every workout (yes, every workout) If you are eating a deficit you will eventually stall though.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

That makes far more sense, They are not totally accurate and will only give you an idea/ballpark - but there is no way you were high 30's.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Changing your exercise selection from week to week is a good way to make it difficult to impossible to track your progress. Vary what you are doing by adding weight and\or reps as frequently as possible. A beginner on a proper 3 day per week full body routine should be able to add weight every workout (yes, every workout) If you are eating a deficit you will eventually stall though.

Just one point - you may not be able to add weight on every workout but you should try to add reps. For example, try for x sets of 6, then x sets of 7, then x sets of 8 - when you get there, go back down to x sets of 6 with a higher weight. Although, I agree that for the first couple of sessions, adding weight each time is probably achievable. The amount/frequency you can add will often depend on the type of lift also.