Options
13»

Replies

• CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I always Cardio then weight train.

Weight training is a waste of time for weight loss anyway

I'm sorry but you couldn't be more wrong. There are fitness and health experts who would seriously die of laughter after having read this... I would know because I let my trainer read it and she's still shaking her head.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Weight training makes you look fit.

Cardio makes you actually fit.

http://ccooper.typepad.com/writing_on_the_run/2011/04/winners-and-results-of-the-2011-boston-marathon.html.

Check him out, look like he spends a lot of time in front of a mirror ?
  • cjh03
    cjh03 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    On weight training days, I do a 5 minute cardio warm-up ...something moderate like 6% incline at 5.5mph to get the blood flowing and muscles warmed up... then follow up with stretching. IF I have any energy left after weights, I'll do a light run of 10ish minutes just to get the muscles flushed out and then stretch again.

On cardio days...well it's just strictly cardio.

Doing this has been successful for me so far. I'm in week two and already lost ~6lbs and ~1.5%bf.
  • antizoni1
    antizoni1 Posts: 334
    Options
    I workout 5 days a week, 4 days weight lifting, 1 day of cardio
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options

I'm sorry but you couldn't be more wrong. There are fitness and health experts who would seriously die of laughter after having read this... I would know because I let my trainer read it and she's still shaking her head.

Theres no need to be sorry at all. Your trainer make much money running beside you?
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options

Theres no need to be sorry at all. Your trainer make much money running beside you?

I guess I don't get what you're getting at. If you're implying that she doesn't know what she's talking about, I assure you, she does. She's worked with professional athletes and owns the facility. Her resume and clients speak for themselves. Besides, I'm not one of those clients that just goes by what I'm told. I do my own research because if there's one thing I've learned through my own schooling for nursing, it's that there's a lot of misconceptions out there. So rather than just going by what I hear and read, I find out what's real and what's not. So unless I can verify the information from a credible source (.org's, .edu's, .gov's, etc) I take it with a grain of salt.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Weight training makes you look fit.

Cardio makes you actually fit.

http://ccooper.typepad.com/writing_on_the_run/2011/04/winners-and-results-of-the-2011-boston-marathon.html.

Check him out, look like he spends a lot of time in front of a mirror ?

You have an interesting definition of "fit".

I think it's pretty fair to reason that almost every professional athlete from all of the variety of sports does at least some level of weight training. A lot of them do pretty heavy amounts of it in fact. It would also be fair to reason that almost none of them run marathons as part of the training routine. So by your logic, almost none of the thousands of professional athletes out there are "fit". Correct?

Besides, making the argument that weight loss is easier with XYZ workout is pointless. Weight loss is 75-100% diet. I've lost almost 70lbs doing mainly strength building exercises. Hell my wife lost 60 doing zero exercise at all. Exercising is MAINLY for other things like cardio improvement, strength gains, muscle gains, etc..

Anyway, sorry to feed the troll. As most have said, do your strength training first. You want to be strongest to make good progression on the weights and to be able to maintain form to avoid injury. Running while tired isn't a big deal. Squatting a couple hundred pounds when you're wiped out is a bad idea.
  • Linda345
    Linda345 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks to everyone on thier feedback to this. I didn't start this post, but I got a lot of good info reading through the replies. I am going to switch up my workout routine now where I do a quick 5 minute warm up (instead of 30 minutes) on an eliptical machine, then my stretching and weight training, and then 30 minutes on the eliptical.
  • PeterThompson
    Options
    i think its depend on you but for me its cardio then weight training to tone those parts that loose the fats through cardio http://bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com/
  • PeterThompson
    Options
    it depends on you but cardio can also serve as the warm up for your body before it go to weight training
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    ..."Running while tired isn't a big deal. Squatting a couple hundred pounds when you're wiped out is a bad idea."

Adding in to an older thread, but...

Runners lean forward when they are tired, making them prone to chronic knee pain, tendinitis, and other injuries. They can ruin their chances of that weekend race with an injury if they do not train well. So, runner: are you running just for some cardio, or for time/races? May help to pick your priority and arrange your training around those goals. I'm still trying to figure this balance out myself as I add in some weight training. ; )