Help needed with dumbbells

Options
I have a set of dumbbells from 5lbs to 15 lbs. I need to work on my upper body strength desperately! However, I have NO CLUE as to where/how to start. Will you share your dumbbell workout with me? Thank you in advance.

Replies

• eitherofus
    eitherofus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is a book I have, one of the for dummies series, that has information about weight training that mat be helpful. I do bicep curls, arms at your sides straight, bend at the elbows curling the weight up. The can be done with max weight for strength or a lower weight more rapidly with more reps. I also do I think they are called flys, arms at side keeping arms straight raise your arms to shoulder level either out to the side or forward. You can also, holding the weights arms straight, bend at the wrist forward and backward for lower arm strength.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone check out the GAIN Fitness app, the free base version is all you'll need.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    push ups
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    bicep curls, tricpes extensions, presses. I do Karate punches and blocks with 10lb weights too.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    First step is to buy heavier ones so that 5-8 reps of each exercise will be a challenge. Adjustable dumbbells are ideal for the home because they take up a small footprint but are as versatile as a having a whole set from 5-90lbs.
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    youtube Bob Harper, he's great.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Those dumbbells are going to be pretty light the minute you get used to the exercises. Instead of telling you to spend more $$$ on home equipment, I'd suggest you start with body weight exercises. Pushups and variations on pushups will work your chest, shoulders and triceps, get a home pullup bar (or go to the park) and pull ups will work your back, biceps, and core. You can get a lot of of body weight stuff.
  • MickeyGeorge
    MickeyGeorge Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've only just started lifting and have dumbbells as well. For upper body:

Chest: Push Ups and Chest Presses (like a bench press but with the dumbbells)
    Biceps: Bicep Curls and Concentration Curls
    Shoulders: Arnold Press and Upright Row
    Triceps: Dips and Kickbacks

I selected the exercises from this site. There are many more to choose from.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/a/weight101.htm
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Best dumbell excersizes you could come across right here!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Dumbbell+excersizes
  • tracy63janis
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I forgot to mention that I do have a pull up/chin up bar. Although, I can't pull up nor do a chin up. Maybe in time, right? LOL!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    First step is to buy heavier ones so that 5-8 reps of each exercise will be a challenge. Adjustable dumbbells are ideal for the home because they take up a small footprint but are as versatile as a having a whole set from 5-90lbs.

No, first step is to work with what she has and figure out what goals she has instead of just assuming that she wants to lift in the 5-8 rep range.

To OP:
    Everyone else gave good advice.

Google is your friend and there are a million and one sites about bodyweight exercises and dumbbell exercises.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

No, first step is to work with what she has and figure out what goals she has instead of just assuming that she wants to lift in the 5-8 rep range.

She specifically said she wants to work on upper body strength.
  • Thor2020
    Thor2020 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Push ups are a totally undervalued exercise.

If you have a hard time doing one properly.....cheat with your knees on the floor and slowly work with the knees further out, until you use your feet instead.

If you have access to a swimming pool.....breast stroke and butterfly are excellent upper body workouts as well.
  • tracy63janis
    Options
    Thanks again everyone! I do appreciate it. When I bought the dumbbells I did not think that they may be too 'light weight' one day. The body weight exercises sounds like a good idea as soon as I get a little more strength in my arms. I will be checking out all of your suggested web sites. Thank you again!
  • PeterThompson
    Options
    well you can look for some videos that teach it how http://bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com/