What are some good vegetable "snacks"?

Options
brooshie
brooshie Posts: 141 Member
I need more snacks in my life! I could eat more greens, but I'm just not exactly a huge fan of them. I was hoping that you all had some ideas on vegetable snacks that I could have (and that i could also EASILY calculate the calories & nutritional value).

Kinda like nuts. All I do is buy them in bulk and separate them by serving, easy way to calculate. I'm looking for something similar to that in vegetables. I just want something I can munch on while I'm on the go

And please, no white condiments (unless you feel brave), there's not a single white condiment i've tasted that i've enjoyed.

Replies

• leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sugar snap peas are awesome.
    Baby carrots
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I eat cans of no sodium added veggies when I get "behind".

But that's me.
  • RMT2012
    RMT2012 Posts: 1
    Options
    what about grapes? Small and round and easy to pop in your mouth like nuts.
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love baby carrots dipped in fat free french dressing!
  • zophiel67
    zophiel67 Posts: 181
    Options
    I eat cans of no sodium added veggies when I get "behind".

But that's me.
    I do that, too. But I state below that I'm a little weird.

Celery sticks
    Grape tomatoes (technically a fruit)
    Raw cauliflower (can be a hassle to prep)
    Raw broccoli (same thing)
    Slices of just about any type of raw squash
    Artichoke leaves

My family is a little strange- I can sit down and eat a whole tomato like an apple, so that is an at-home snack option if you like 'em.

The biggest downside to veggies is storage. Most of them do best in the fridge and some you need to be careful of squishing. So not quite as easy as nuts for transporting, but good for snacking.

You could also try edamame or soy beans. Dried edamame may be your best bet for a nut-like veggie.
  • lmshaugs
    lmshaugs Posts: 1
    Options
    This isn't an "on the go" veggie snack, but I like roasted kale. You just cut out the ribs, rips into chip size, braise with olive oil and maybe Italian seasoning, and roast gently at 375 or so until they crisp up. Keep an eye on them while they're cooking--they take a while to get going but then -- poof-- you've got char instead of kale. It's like potato chips...that are nothing like potato chips at all, but are still yummy and nutritious. My husband will even eat them and he hates veggies.

I like green beans for veggie snacking.
  • momtokx2
    momtokx2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like sliced up bell peppers, cucumbers, broccoli and LOVE carrots and celery. I eat all of these raw and without any dressing. My husband snacks on tomato slices with salt and pepper.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    today I had some "carrot chips" (like reg carrots shaped as chips! for dippin) and I mixed 1/4 cup of fat free greek yogurt and 1tbsp of lipton french onion (dry ) soup mix!.. (like onion dip but greek yog vs sour cream) and that with 3oz serving of 'carrot chips' is under a 100 calories! and GOOD...(cant taste the GY cuz of onion dip mix!) i like the lipton sour onion cuz more strong flav/chunky)...
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Baby carrots
    Celery
    Cucumber
    Red bell pepper
    snow peas

All in my fridge right now for my snacking pleasure.
  • zophiel67
    zophiel67 Posts: 181
    Options
    Oh, mini bell peppers! Awesome for snacks.
  • MichelleLydia
    MichelleLydia Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Not really "on the go" but I love asparagus, dipped in egg white and breaded with either ww panko, or Italian breadcrumbs and baked til crispy.
  • brendddda
    brendddda Posts: 33
    Options
    sliced bell peppers, baby carrots or carrot sticks, fresh sweet peas, cauliflower (an alternative to broccoli),grape tomatoes, cucumber slices...

If you get tired of them, try dipping them in hummus or fat free ranch dressing (:
  • hannahamay
    hannahamay Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds weird but I like to saute sliced carrots, broccoli, and fresh green beans in a skillet with a little bit of olive oil, garlic, pepper, and Parmesan cheese. It seriously tastes so good and I put it on crackers. Depending on the crackers you use it can easily be around 100 to 150 calories. You can omit the cheese all together but a little goes a long way and it makes the snack taste really good.

I know it's not an "on the go" snack but you can prepare it before you leave and heat it up in the microwave, or just eat it cold.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I like grape tomatoes! And green, yellow, and orange bell peppers.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Had baby carrots and hummus today...yummy. And I don't really like raw carrots, normally.
  • Fenestra13
    Fenestra13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    what about grapes? Small and round and easy to pop in your mouth like nuts.

i heard these are delicious frozen, and this helps them keep. Especially refreshing on a hot day. I know it sounds weird, but they were really good when my friend gave me some frozen grapes at her house.
  • grossbg
    grossbg Posts: 2
    Options
    I chop up raw broccoli, cucumbers, and baby carrots and like you I pack them in snack size ziplocs. It's not really on the go, but I like to dip them in hummas. I have purchase individual hummas packs though.
  • Fenestra13
    Fenestra13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    for truly on the go, I agree with both baby carrots and sugar snap peas. I eat them without anything extra, but they are both also really good with a ginger miso dressing (they carry one at Whole Foods, or you could make one). I also find cucumber slices easy to bring with me. And celery with peanut butter is yummy too.

i don't like them, but radishes are very portable, and don't really get wilty. And have that bite!

Not really as portable but not requiring heating up is roasted brussel sprouts or asparagus that are chilled and eaten cold. If you cook them in olive oil, salt and pepper either on the grill or under the broiler, they taste pretty good cold.
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    make a big green smoothie in the morning and portion it out according to snacks/meals. very easy way to get more greens in, while allowing your body to get a nutrient-dense source of energy with minimal digestion, thus getting the vitamins and minerals quickly to your cells.