Weigh in 3 lbs more than day before, discouraged

Options
2»

Replies

• PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I find my weight goes up when I've had a really hard training session with my weights, too - do you lift?
  • thompetrella
    thompetrella Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with niner. Get off the Atkins. If you stay within the guidelines of MFP and mix in a few days of exercise, you will see significant progress. I am not saying that you can eat a bowl of pasta every day and a loaf a bread and still make it work. If you are eating regular bread, switch to deli flats or foldits. Gets the same satisifaction at a reduced calories. If you are drinking diet soda, STOP. Switch to Crystal Light. So many flavors of low, low calorie goodness. Eat smoked turkey, roasted chicken or some tavern ham for lunch....I could go on and on. So many good suggestions in this string. Especially adjusting your expectations. Why not aim for losing 1.5 or 2 pounds....see how that goes.....good luck.
  • richellekramer
    Options
    I will be 4-6 lbs heavier at night than when I get up in the morning....... if you weigh every day, expect variation. I wish I could lose a pound a day....... that's the thing that frustrates me when I watch the Biggest Loser. How do they do that? Excersice for 8 hrs/day. Can't do that and have a real life.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention: you need carbs. everyone needs carbs. it is one of our body's most fundamental building blocks. yes, you will lose weight rapidly be avoiding carbs entirely, however you'll be "skinny fat". That means you used your muscle to feed your body what it was lacking and now you can't open the pickle jar to save your life. Also, the Atkins diet doesn't teach you how to eat proportionately and in such a way to get all the necessary nutrients from your food, so once the diet's "over", the weight creeps back.

Source?

Research by Dr. Anssi H Manninen of the Advanced Research Institute has indicated that low and very-low carbohydrate diets may be slightly more muscle sparing than other types of diets, although more research needs to be done. So depending on your activity level, and your intake of protein, carbohydrates and fat, you may be able to burn ketones quite easily and with less muscle loss than other types of diets.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/340463-when-you-are-in-ketosis-are-you-burning-fat-rather-than-muscle/

Not entirely sure how reliable this study is, but I've heard nothing about losing more muscle on Atkins than any other diet. Quite the opposite.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention: you need carbs. everyone needs carbs. it is one of our body's most fundamental building blocks. yes, you will lose weight rapidly be avoiding carbs entirely, however you'll be "skinny fat". That means you used your muscle to feed your body what it was lacking and now you can't open the pickle jar to save your life.

With due respect, that is a load of hogwash.

You do not need carbs. None, zero, nada. Your brain does need some glucose, but you don't need to get that from carbs. You liver can manufacture glucose from protein. So, you need some protein for that, and you need more protein for cellular repaid/growth. Then you need energy. You can get that from protein, or fat or carbs, your choice but there is zero requirement for carbs. You can do without just fine, I don't know why you would want to go to zero for forever. Veggies are way too wonderful to exclude but there is no mandatory requirement. Someone could get all their vitamins from a pill I guess, but I'd rather be Low Carb than Zero Carb (and who mentioned Zero carb anyway? )

As far as "skinny- fat " goes so long as you are getting adequate protein (for the above mentioned processes) your body WILL NOT catabolize muscle tissue. The only reason your body will do that is if 1) You have no other source of energy, including body fat , ie you are starved (really starved, not just hungry ) and/or 2) You have glucose requirements that can not be met through synthesis of glucose from dietary protein due to inadequate supply.

So, get enough protein, eat enough of fat, or protein or carbs to keep from starving and you will be OK.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Well, weight fluctuates. Unless you ate 10,000 extra calories it's probably a temporary gain
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said. You did not gain 3 pounds. Chances are you are not really losing a pound a day. It's water weight probably caused by increased sodium.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know on the Atkins has gained the weight back plus more.

Almost everyone on <insert the name of your diet here> has gained the weight back plus more. :explode: Why would you single out the OP's choice for attack?
  • Arwen280804
    Arwen280804 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Almost everyone on <insert the name of your diet here> has gained the weight back plus more. :explode: Why would you single out the OP's choice for attack?

I lost on Atkins, it was great. Then it all came back on again afterwards.

you need a sustainable healthy eating plan for life, not a temporary quick fix diet. Simple.

I have lost over 5 stone with slimming world, and it's still coming off/maintaining well, and it's helped teach me a lot about good foods, cooking etc. Something I can follow for life as I don't feel deprived.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options

I lost on Atkins, it was great. Then it all came back on again afterwards.

you need a sustainable healthy eating plan for life, not a temporary quick fix diet. Simple.

I have lost over 5 stone with slimming world, and it's still coming off/maintaining well, and it's helped teach me a lot about good foods, cooking etc. Something I can follow for life as I don't feel deprived.

Low carb can be sustainable, but you're right, you can't just do it and then go back to eating whatever. Like all diets, it has to be a lifestyle change, not a quick fix
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    OP, your weight loss expectations aren't realistic for any diet, Atkins or otherwise. Atkins does work, I spent 10 years on it (lost over 100 pounds) before deciding that I'd stop so I could eat bread and grains again. Probably not the best decision for me, because I overate all those things and now have to lose a bunch again, but that's me and the consequences are mine to deal with.

Atkins is not magic, calories still count. It is also a diet that requires you to learn quite a bit about nutrition to do well. The carbs you do eat have to be quality carbs, not junk. Berries, broccoli, greens - learn to prepare and enjoy those foods. Learn to prepare chicken breast a bazillion different ways, ditto for fish. And bacon and mayo? Treat them like condiments and use sparingly. Good luck. :smile:
  • dbarchus
    dbarchus Posts: 42
    Options
    If your body weight goes up or down by 1 pound or more, it's water weight. There's nothing else your body could have done to gain or lose that much weight. There's 3500 calories in 1 lb of fat, so to go up 3 lbs, you would've had to eat 10500 EXTRA calories on top of your TDEE...

Also, the Atkins diet doesn't work. Eat a damn apple if you want to be healthy.

Another note: What time of day do you measure yourself? If it's in the afternoon/evening, or any time of day after you've eaten something (ie, any time other than first thing in the morning) your weight WILL fluctuate more than if you weighed yourself first thing in the morning.

I really have to agree with this poster...I did Atkins after every baby (4 of them :)) and, yes, I lost the weight, however I fully believe it screwed up my metabolism/carb sensitivies to the MAX! Now, I know better than to cut out the healthy fiber and goodness of fruit! Dont' let yourself be sucked into the "false" weight loss...you can do it with all the food groups!!

And, like everyone said, just stay off that scale...there is no need to weigh yourself everyday, other than to torture your brain :wink:

Are your clothes feeling tighter? They are the true, tell tale sign of weight gain/loss IMO...a few pounds, up and down, day to day, is completely normal.

Add some fruit and more water to your diet, stay away from high sugar carbs and crazy prepackaged sodium foods and you'll get on the right track...OH! And, put away the scale!!! :happy:

I agree....it's not only how much you weigh, but how you FEEL. Everyone fluctuates, day to day and hour to hour. I look a tthe scale every day just with that awareness, but always at the same time, first thing after exercise in the morning and last thing at time. Over time there will be a downward trend. The tool is great for logging that trend and keeping me from being discouraged by what I THINK I know and what's REALITY.
  • dewgong
    dewgong Posts: 1
    Options
    Yeah usually I weigh differently all the time by about 3 pounds too. I think it depends on what you ate, how much water you had to drink, etc. I tried http://howmuchshouldiweigh.org and saw my range was good and I graphed my weight over a month and it stayed the same.