What foods did you think were healthy but actually aren't??

Options
I think one of the biggest issues with trying to be healthy is that it's really hard to differentiate between what is healthy and what isn't without scrutinizing the nutrition label (and even then, you have to know what to look for). For example, I used to eat the Lean Cuisine paninis a lot in high school thinking they were healthy and they tasted pretty good too. UM, no. They are pretty low calorie for a sandwich, I'll give them that, but it has tons of chemicals and refined wheat and sodium! Ugh! Way to sacrifice general health for a low calorie food :( Anyone have any others?

Replies

• SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I don't think there really is anything I can think of that I thought was healthy but isn't because I was raised by a nurse who was pretty stickler towards the fruits/veggies/whole grains/lean meat concept from the start. For me, the biggest shock was just how many calories are in xyz item and the concept of portion control. I seriously had no idea.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Fage yogurt. 16 grams of sugar. Nuff said.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Orange juice...technically not a food, but oh well.
  • mkalinski333
    Options
    I always thought that when going out to eat, salads were a healthy option. While they can be healthier than most other options, many restaurants put cheese, bacon, fried chicken, and other unhealthy toppings which ruin the salad and that doesn't even include the dressing and portion size! I try to eat out less in order to solve those problems but I was still surprised to discover how unhealthy the seemingly healthy option of a salad was!
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    ^^^ That's another one I found out! Fat-free yogurt, despite having lower calories, has a ton more sugar! But they don't tell you about that part, haha. So frustrating.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Pudding (it boasts calcium!)
    Diet soda (no calories must mean healthy, right?)
    Eggplant Lasagna (better than meat lasagna, but not by much)
    Anything that said low fat/low sugar/low sodium/etc... but I've learned that these things are still processed in different ways.
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I was pretty upset when my dentist told me raisins were bad for my teeth ('cause they're sticky). Not sure if it counts.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I always thought that when going out to eat, salads were a healthy option. While they can be healthier than most other options, many restaurants put cheese, bacon, fried chicken, and other unhealthy toppings which ruin the salad and that doesn't even include the dressing and portion size! I try to eat out less in order to solve those problems but I was still surprised to discover how unhealthy the seemingly healthy option of a salad was!

Amen! I read an article about the unhealthiest salads in major food chains... one clocked in at over 1000 calories!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    there are no unhealthy foods.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Orange juice...technically not a food, but oh well.

^YEP. And my issue was a lot of restaurants...salads for 1,000 cals? NO thank you!
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Haven't Been thrilled with the new studies and findings of soy. Used to drink soy milk a lot more than I do now.
  • stagegoddess
    stagegoddess Posts: 102
    Options
    smoothies. too many of the chain stores add frozen yogurt and sherbert. its better if you get the all fruit smoothies but ugh. you just drink the calories way too fast and hundreds and hundreds of calories that you would enjoy more and eat less of it you just had the fresh fruit. that being said, i live in a huge agricultural area in so cal with road side stands everywhere--but still! i do get the wheatgrass shots at smoothie stores though
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    pretty sad about reading why meat is better for you not well done.

also the hydronated oil consumption is 400+ % and the use of actual real butter is down 60+% in the last 100 years ago and the sugar consumption has doubled (at least).......yet some peoples idea of 'diet' food contains tons of all of that listed.

these new books i have to read are very interesting and informative but they're making me very sad lol
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter... not the natural kind. Everyone says that peanut butter is a good source of protein, but I have always over-eaten it (comfort food), but the natural kind is what's best and only in moderation... bummer.
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any (most) types of granola bars!

Way to much sugar, carbs.. Barely any nutrients & protein.
  • marvelscale
    marvelscale Posts: 135
    Options
    bagels

I used to eat whole ones with plenty of "light" cream cheese on both sides
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Raisins, I always thought that they were a great, low cal snack. But I'd eat them by huge handfuls. One day I was reading, and learned that raisins are helpful in promoting weight gain, haven't touched a raisin since!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any (most) types of granola bars!

Way to much sugar, carbs.. Barely any nutrients & protein.

Yeah, this one. Also, most deli meant. What a travesty! I have found some healthy ones at the local Whole Foods, though.
  • marvelscale
    marvelscale Posts: 135
    Options
    Raisins, I always thought that they were a great, low cal snack. But I'd eat them by huge handfuls. One day I was reading, and learned that raisins are helpful in promoting weight gain, haven't touched a raisin since!

Raisins aren't bad as long as you eat them in moderation; they're one of my sources of potassium if I need some more.
  • My_Own_Hero
    Options
    Dried fruit...so much sugar!