Zumba success?

Options
Went to my first Zumba class tonight and it was a ton of fun.
I went online and found that i burned over 600 calories in my hour workout, thats a lot more than i expected it to be.

I want to continue to do Zumba (to be honest, i'm quite tired of the elliptical and treadmill) but have any of you had a ton of luck with the work out.

Just want to know peoples thoughts on Zumba as opposed to other work outs.

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba. I just ordered an HRM so that I can be accurate in tracking my calories burned. I'm planning on joining Lucille Roberts Gym because it's cheap and they have five Zumba classes per week in the summer. I'm probably goiong to join in September and hope they reinstate the Saturday and Sunday classes.
  • littlemermaid1048
    Options
    I bought Zumba Exhilarate. By all means it is a great and addictive workout! Fun fun fun! :)
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba too...in fact I'll be there at 8:30 am tomorrow morning bright and early. I like variety so I do other workouts too like Spin, another dance class, kickboxing, cardio machines and various at home dvds. (I also have Zumba for Wii).
  • livinfitanfun
    Options
    Fell in love with zumba last year a month after I had my second child by c-section. They offered it on base and my friend talked me in to going b/c friends don't let friends look crazy alone doing zumba! lol We just got a xbox kinect and i ordered zumba 2 and zumba rush and can't wait to get it!! I believe you will have great success with it if you follow it up with a healthy eating and strength training. Hope I helped!
  • lisanorman6
    lisanorman6 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love zumba. In my head, I think I'm on DWTS dancing my butt off for the mirrorball. In reality, I look like a hippo in a tu-tu, but whatever!

I've noticed since taking it that my coordination is improved as is my stamina. Generally I take classes to spice up my workouts and keep my muscles confused. The instructor for any class, especially zumba, can be a make it/break it kind of thing. My first class was a total blast, but I tried another at a different gym and left early because I was so frustrated with the instructor. If you run into that scenario, keep going to classes and find the instructors that best suit you.

And....for the first time in zumba, I got to shake my moneymaker and feel good about it! LOL.

Best of luck!
  • Starlightbella
    Starlightbella Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the results of Zumba too. I know a ton of women at work who do it but not a single one looks any better :ohwell: I'm sure it burns a ton of calories and it seems to be very addictive to them (they all go ALL the time) but I am still hesitant as I just don't see the results. Keep me posted if it works for you. It looks like a lot of fun!
  • Miribg
    Miribg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I looove zumba. The first 20-30 pounds I lost I was doing ONLY zumba (and eating better of course). Now about 1/5 of my workouts are still zumba. I don't feel like I burn as much with it anymore though. :cry: It's a lot of fun, I don't really feel like I am doing much but I do get tired and I sweat like a pig :laugh: Keep with it for a while, you may find that you really enjoy it.
  • ruthmiriam
    ruthmiriam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    LOVE Zumba! That's all the exercise I did for the first 3 months or so, now I am also doing the Couch to 5K program--jogging 3 days a week. Down over 30 pounds so far! I still can't find any classes that work for my schedule, so I do Zumba Fitness Rush on my Xbox Kinect.
  • lala0719
    lala0719 Posts: 20
    Options
    Does the Zumba for wii work? Is it good?
  • smalleyez06
    smalleyez06 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yesterday someone posted their zumba story and it was amazing. she daid she burned 800 calories. Sorry I can not remember her name but it was something like an 80lb loss. I did my second class today
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    its a lot of fun!!!! your with other peeps... fun group setting..and you sweat and burn a crap load of calories!!! so why ask why?! lol... I do it weekly along with "body pump" class @ the gym... i used to only do machines... then tried classes.. now i NEVER do machines! snoooooooze town.... and i notice it helps TONE me..a nd my endurance up! (energy/stanima) but for wt loss its the food/calories i consume.... cuz before MFP i was going and nada... but now going and using MFP (just finished my second wk) i lost 2#'s first wk and 3 the 2nd! 5#'s down... so goes hand in hand...but for me its food /calories that is the wt losst/# on scale loss.. but zumba is a rockin workout.. and addicting to! lol:drinker:
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    LOVE Zumba! That's all the exercise I did for the first 3 months or so, now I am also doing the Couch to 5K program--jogging 3 days a week. Down over 30 pounds so far! I still can't find any classes that work for my schedule, so I do Zumba Fitness Rush on my Xbox Kinect.

hey awesome wt loss!!! youve lost 30pnds just since May on mfp or??!!
  • mrsgokev
    mrsgokev Posts: 20
    Options
    I tend to burn around 1000 calories an hour with Zumba. The instructors all have different styles. My favorite one would incorporate a lot of squats and I was seeing a difference in my butt and legs and how my jeans fit. She also did a lot of ab work too. Some others are just into the dance part and it's good cardio. The whole time I was doing Zumba a few times a week, I didn't count my calories so I didn't really lose anything but I know people who have lost quite a bit doing Zumba. I do find that my endurance gets better when doing it.
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I am so enjoying Zumba.....i burn from 350-500 an hour using my HRM depending on the instructor....it's alot of fun, so glad i starting doing it!! Wish i had more time when classes are open do go in more!
  • ruthmiriam
    ruthmiriam Posts: 28 Member
    Options

hey awesome wt loss!!! youve lost 30pnds just since May on mfp or??!!

Yes, using MFP to keep track of calories, and Zumba on the Xbox 4 days per week (burn about 500 - 600 calories in an hour) and Couch to 5K jogging 3 days per week. Never thought I would enjoy exercise, but with Zumba I really do! I hope I can find a class near me that fits into my schedule once my kids are back in school.