Losing weight too quickly? Seriously!

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to MFP and delighted to be part of a group of such focused individuals.

I have a question that I hope some of you might be able to help with, it sounds like the perfect problem, but it is causing me concern. I have 25 lbs to lose to get to my goal weight of 140, and this is the first week of being really faithful with my food diary, exercise etc. Im aiming for 1/1.5 per week, but the pounds on my scale seem to be dropping quickly. I am concerned about sagging skin and also "crashing", like doing really superbly for two weeks and then falling off the wagon when I see results/become bored/tempted/hungry as has been my pattern in the past.

Any advice or feedback much appreciated fellow mfpettes! Please feel free to add me as a friend for mutual support & encouragement.

Thanks,

Caoimhe xx

Replies

• luckymeme93
    Options
    Hey im new to feel free to add me as for you question are u just starting to lose weight and work out? if so its normal to lose weight when you start to "diet" thats what happen to me as well i was like why im i dropping it so fast its mainly because water weight but mainly lose more weight when you start out first
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    They will drop more quickly at first but most of that will be water weight and you'll slow to a loss nearer your goal. As long as you eat your calories and eat back exercise calories you shouldn't lose it too quickly or feel too deprived. Exercise is a great way of toning up what you have and prevent sagging but it will also give you more to eat and make it less likely that you'll regain when you return to maintenance calories.

Welcome to this site and the very best of luck to you!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common when first starting out to drop a bunch of water weight quickly. If your calories are set right and you are consistent, things should stabilize. If you open your food diary that will give readers of this thread more to go on.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not losing that quickly due to not eating enough, you should be fine. I year what you're saying about getting complacent and comfortable though, I tend to start going overboard again when I think I'm thin enough.
  • Weatherford102
    Options
    Agree with jackie here. The scale is a fickle friend. Water weight is only a factor if you are not drinking enough. Regiment your water just like your food. As long as you are staying close to your calorie numbers and exercising, then don't worry about losing too fast. Trust the math and let the lbs take care of themselves. Think about it this way, on the weight loss shows, some contestants lose 5-10 lbs in a week and they are doing it in a healthy, albeit accelerated, way.
  • CaoimheN
    CaoimheN Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks a million all :) I'll keep an eye on the water and let the Maths do the rest, good advice!
  • 140lbgoal
    140lbgoal Posts: 19
    Options
    I freaked out that I lost 24 pounds in the first month of eating low carb, but I now lose about 1 pound a week and I feel great about it!
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i just finished my first week on Friday and lost 10lbs - i know this is water weight but its still a loss
    am 6ft tall and quite heavy set, so I have the weight to lose, but that 10lb has given me a good smile - and I *know* I wont lose that again this week
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    So much of it will be water weight to start off with, so don't worry. When you get more into it, your progress will slow down. Those last few pounds can take forever to shift!
  • kobashi
    kobashi Posts: 164
    Options
    I was dropping 10 lbs a week to start out. It is just probably from lowering your sodium and fat intake. This can cause a rapid drop. Trust me this will not last long so I wouldn't worry about sagging skin. Just eat healthy and exercise. Your skin will tighten up as you continue this process.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    It's normal to lose weight because of the water loss, as everyone has said.

I usually go by measurements and body fat percentage as I think it's more accurate. Sometimes I don't lose much for a few weeks, but i lose inches and body fat and my clothes are looser. I exercise a lot, so I figure I'm replacing fat with muscle.

I'm smaller than I was a few years ago (pre children) but i weigh more!