Need Suggestions on What to Eat in Bali!

Options
Hey Everyone!!!

I am going to Bali in 5 days for a conference for a week and I am freaking out about what to eat!
The breakfast is a buffet at the hotel (included with our rooms)....the lunch is a buffet at the conference
and I can do whatever I want for dinner.

Any suggestions about what to do for these three meals in Bali!??? ALL suggestions would be great!!! :)

Replies

• wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I HAVE NEVER BEEN... but i have traveled alot... my advise:

!) be brave, try new things
    2) don't ask what is in the dish until after you taste it
    3) bottled water only
    4) be ware or food you can buy on the street... it is often delish but makes me ill
    5) no ice cubes
    6) it must be cooked, or have a peel to be eaten
    7) dairy is at your own risk
    8) bring home spices and hot sauces etc from the local grocery store!

Enjoy! what an exciting opportunity!
  • kikilorain
    kikilorain Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I live in Bali and have been to several hotel buffets... they always have tons of fruit and vegetable dishes. I think you'll have no problems finding healthy dishes. One note though... if there's western food there that looks really tempting... it usually looks better than it tastes. The ingredients are different and they don't always know what they're doing when they prepare it. I'd rather splurge on Indonesian food at a restaurant here... have fun!
  • captawesome
    captawesome Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I went to Bali at the end of last year and the food was just amazing!

There was more than enough fresh fruit, some new and exotic ones as well. Warungs are great if you're looking for food on the cheap (and even though they may look dodgy, the food is beautiful, just make sure you order something to be cooked fresh). The hotels offered museli and assorted cooked brekkies and the restaurants have a wonderful array of authentic Balinese food. Most menus state the ingredients and the people are more than willing to help so I'm sure you wont have a problem with any requests or translations.

Just a side note, we didn't have any trouble with "Bali belly" but we did drink only bottled water. We steered clear of ice cubes where we could but still had one or two drink with them in it and we were fine.

Enjoy Bali, it truly is a wonderful place!
  • jraymondmonro
    Options
    Thanks so much guys!!! I am pleased to know that there are healthy options. I guess I was just worried that there would only be fried noodles and rice etc...
    I don't want to put on any weight while I'm there but I also really want to have a good time! :)