CrossFit

Options
2»

Replies

• konamouse
    konamouse Posts: 21
    Options
    Any age, any size can do a crossfit WOD. Everything is universally scalable. Wounded warriors do it. kids do it. folks >60 yr old do it. A good trainer can modify any movement & any workout so everyone finishes at the same level of effort.

Can't do a pullup? How about a ring row instead, or jumping pullups, or using a heavy rubber band.
    Can't do a box jump? Bet you can step up on a 12" box.
    Can't lift a bar bell? Bet you can do the movement with PVC pipe first. Or can only use 1 arm? Can do the lift with a dumbbell.
    Can't run? Bet you can walk or row.
    Can't do 7 rounds of these movements? Bet you can do 4 rounds.

No such thing as "can't", just "let's adjust/modify so you CAN".

kona
    Registered Dietitian, Crossfit Master's
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Are they similar to boot camp classes?
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Are they similar to boot camp classes?

Check out the crossfit.com website it'll give you an idea of what it's like.
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Not a Crossfitter anymore, Why?

http://startingstrength.com/articles/training_perspective_gillian.pdf

Read the Good and the Bad.. The Bad's are pretty important if you ask me. The Goods don't weigh in much...

http://fitfinity.net/2011/01/19/crossfit-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly/

Found this quote

"What this means is that the activity of CrossFit™ is a ticking time bomb. A physical activity, supposedly practiced for the purpose of better health, that inevitably damages physical health (violently negating one of it’s core purposes), in a Russian roulette fashion.

I.e. CrossFitters have absolutely no idea what that injury will be, how severe it will be, and to what degree of permanence it will consist of, when it inevitably arrives."
  • TiffanySuscheck
    TiffanySuscheck Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I do Crossfit and I am in LOVE with it.
    I do it 4-5x a week.

I really feel a difference. I feel stronger and more satisfied with my body. I feel tough, and I absolutely love that feeling! From being grossly over weight to tough, I couldn't be happier!!

Crossfit is half muscle power, half brain power. You need to play the mental game with yourself in order to finish the WOD. I like that because it reminds me that willpower is SO important in day to day life - not just in food choices.

I highly recommend it. No matter WHAT state your body is in. Modifications can be made to every work out!
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I just finished my 3rd Crossfit workout and IT IS AWESOME!!!!!! AND I AM AWESOME BECAUSE I DID IT!
    Not only is the best way to workout, it is sooo empowering to finish this workouts in your way. I hadn't a clue that I could do 70 burpee box jumps. HHEELLOOOOO!!!!
    Do it do it do it do it