Replies

• MissNordicLight
    MissNordicLight Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    funny-US-vs-world-metric-system-date.jpg
  • evilmonkee
    evilmonkee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am originally from Europe, but I've been living in the US for almost a decade now, and my SO is American. As a scientist (and as a European), I prefer to use the metric system because it's standardized. TBH, I use both kg and lb when it comes to losing weight- when I lose, I lose lbs, when I gain, I gain kgs because it makes me feel better about myself :)

Most of the world officially uses the metric system (except the US and Liberia). People from English-speaking countries that used to use the imperial system are pretty comfortable using lbs, but the official system is metric.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I'm originally From Australia so Metric there (KG) And have been living in Sweden for over 10 years, (also metric) So my dairy is mostly metric, but I have been on US forum's for several years now so it has become fairly automatic for me to translate my starts into lbs, feel and inches, though IMO, the Metric system makes so much more sense!
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options

Yes this is Awesome! :bigsmile:
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options

Yes this is Awesome! :bigsmile:

US Military would say today's date as 25JUL2012
  • AncyNancy561
    Options
    yeah but id rather loose 2.2lbs than 1kg lol bahahahaha and i feel funny saying i weigh 78kg lol that sounds crazy being brought up in the pound world
  • weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Canada is metric as well, I changed to pounds on my ticker as it's easy for everyone to recognize. Being Brit I also use the 24 hour clock which really gets heads scratching :D
  • AncyNancy561
    Options
    I use both.. I'm from Poland and we use kg!!! I prefer to use them, as everytime I use it different I need to use the internet to change kg to lbs :P

i had to do the opposite lol i now kno 1kg=2.2lb
  • Dragonflybjm63
    Options
    I use kgs as I'm in Australia, we've been metric since i was inprimary school. I know no other. however.... i only understand calories because it was ages after that they started teaching Kj s . go figure. Any way its easy to convert cals and kj
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    As an expat Pom living in Brisbane, Australia I can deal with both but tend towards KG, seems to make more sense as time goes on.

I find the "I've lost a bag of sugar" (1kg) analogy quite striking as well, it's very ... real.
  • almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Are you from a different country?
    Why do you prefer kg over lbs?
    What countries use kg instead of lbs?

Yes.

Because that is the standard measure here, has been for 40 years.

Pretty much all of them.
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

Bahahaha. So true.

You can change the settings for the measure of units inthr settings I believe.

I'm from Australia and use kg. when quoting lifting numbers I've gotten great at the conversion and know what all my lifts are in lbs as well. Depends who I'm talking too.

Personally kgs, make WAY more sense along with kilometres, centimetres and pretty muxh everything else that involves measuring that the USA doesn't use lol.
  • freya33
    freya33 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am from UK and typically we use both. I started using kg as over 11 stone was terrible but 73.8kg did not seem so bad ( it is all brain games I think I would be too depressed to even start the journey). Also I have a graph of my weight loss and kg is easier than stones and pounds. I have set targets for 11stone, 10.5,10 etc but I tend to think metric these days and it is just so more logical.At the end of the day it does not matter what units you use it is how much you have lost and the target you are aiming for.
    However for a country which had decimal currency long before we did why use pounds.... the logic escapes me
  • Diamond_angel20
    Options
    i am like the rest of the world and i find it really difficult with the miles and ouncess and all that and also i get confused wh they put day , month then year . but on this site i use pounds because instead of losing 10 kgs u lose 20 pounds hahaah :D
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    The metric system is used pretty much everywhere aside from the US.

Yup, you guys in the US are almost the only ones who have hung onto "old fashioned" measurements like pounds and gallons, most of the rest of the world has moved on by now!

The thing I find confusing is that while most US runners talk about running pace in miles/minutes, they also run 5k and 10k races. How the hell do you work out your pace in those races?
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Another person in the rest of the world, here in NZ we went metric before I was born. Takes too much maths thinking to convert to lbs LOL.

You American's are lagging behind the rest of the world! :laugh:
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Bump more Americans need to see this.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Another person in the rest of the world, here in NZ we went metric before I was born. Takes too much maths thinking to convert to lbs LOL.

You American's are lagging behind the rest of the world! :laugh:

Have pity on is, it takes too much maths thinking to convert to kilograms too when you're not used to it. And if that were the only thing wrong with us we'd be so much better off than we are!
  • paulvt65
    paulvt65 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Yup, you guys in the US are almost the only ones who have hung onto "old fashioned" measurements like pounds and gallons, most of the rest of the world has moved on by now!

It wouldn't be so bad if they used the old imperial measurements like the gallon but they had to go and define their own! A US gallon is not the same volume as an imperial gallon.
  • britlocs
    britlocs Posts: 124
    Options
    lol those graphs are hilarious.