For the people who track weight in KG

Options
13»

Replies

• fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    I come from Iceland and we use Kg instead of lbs or pounds. We also do not use inces and feet, we use centemeters, meters, km..
  • JupiterJune
    Options
    I am from brazil so my everyday life (and my scale) are measuring in KG. I use LB on MFP because most of my friends here are american and I think they'd enjoy knowing the equivalence to my progress. I really don't mind it :smile:
  • JupiterJune
    Options
    But I MUST say that it really annoys me when I check the food database and there's only measurements in oz :angry: :angry:
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I have mix of friends on Metric and english, I think that expecting everyone one to change to pounds to suit the US folks is kind of silly but just don't collect friends who use the way more sensible metric system if you just can't handle metrics. As a scientist I get very frustrated switching back and forth, at work everything is in metric and then I go to cook and have to switch back to English.

Also, since grams are a way more accurate measurement method I too prefer to measure my food in grams.
  • Kailel
    Kailel Posts: 61 Member
    Options

We do stick to miles though

That confused the hell out of me as a Canadian in London. Everything else made sense, then you threw in all of those "humps for 3/4mi." signs. :laugh:
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm British, and I think in stones... I know it isn't at all logical. But measuring in Kg would mean nothing to me. If I've dropped a stone, or approaching another half stone... these are triumphs.

I have to confess being useless at it though. I was at school when Britain went decimal, and the upshot was that we weren't taught anything really. Only since joining MFP have I finally got it into my nut that 1 stone = 14 ounces. And even now I'm still getting the maths wrong :noway:

As long as the overall direction is the desired one, that's all that matters. I like to think that endlessly converting everything will exercise my brain and I won't ever get dementia, but seeing as it doesn't work too well anyway that's probably hopeless optimism :sad:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm British, and I think in stones... I know it isn't at all logical. But measuring in Kg would mean nothing to me. If I've dropped a stone, or approaching another half stone... these are triumphs.

I have to confess being useless at it though. I was at school when Britain went decimal, and the upshot was that we weren't taught anything really. Only since joining MFP have I finally got it into my nut that 1 stone = 14 ounces. And even now I'm still getting the maths wrong :noway:

As long as the overall direction is the desired one, that's all that matters. I like to think that endlessly converting everything will exercise my brain and I won't ever get dementia, but seeing as it doesn't work too well anyway that's probably hopeless optimism :sad:

Most people that use stones don't know how many pounds make a stone. And you have to confess, you've know idea what a stone of anything looks like, and would have no idea what picking up a stone weight would be like.

Kilograms however, I'd know straight away.
  • opal24
    opal24 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    In NZ and we use metric, but brought up in the UK, so am used to stones and pounds. I have to do calculations to get from kgs to pounds and then from pounds to stones if I want to compare my weight with anything I was in my youth!!
  • daughterofthesea
    daughterofthesea Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Are you from a different country?
    Why do you prefer kg over lbs?
    What countries use kg instead of lbs?

Yes, I'm from England.

I prefer kg because it's easier for me to work out and read.

Umm ... I don't know to be honest!
  • bedsidetables
    Options
    I pretty much always use SI because of the easier denominations