Hypothyroid disease

Options
Anyone struggling with hypothyroid? What has your weight loss journey been like? Has anyone cured their disease? I've had hypothyroid disease for about 5 years now. My weight has fluctuated but pretty much stayed the same with on again off again diet and exercise. I'd really like to lose 20 pounds. Any tips? How many calories do u eat a day?

Replies

• tiffinielise
    tiffinielise Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank u!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Here's thyroid group on here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I was born with mine not working, it was stable through childhood and early adulthood until early 30's. Up till then I stayed around 9st 7 and was physically active and fully mobile.

My thyroid started going wrong again (producing Reverse T3) causing severe fatigue and weight gain and multiple neurological symptoms. I went up to 16st.

I was left with some mobility impairments after it was all sorted but it took a good few years to get from 16st to 11st 7 (2002 -2010) then I put a stone back on last year and its taken me since last June to get from 12st 7 to 9st 7 again. .. I'm still struggling to get any lower than this.

Going wheat free helped me initially after I heard people with thyroid problems can have problems processing wheat and nut allergies are common (I had already developed severe nut allergies) so decided to try gluten free diet. Dropped 7lb first week.. 18lb over first 6weeks then 16lb following month then it slowed down.. 5lb a month then only 2lb monthly since January this year.

I was trying to stay around 1200, sometimes earning up to 1600 on exercise days but I seem to have stalled this last month or so losing nothing and gained 3 lb :sad: ( i had got down to 9st 4 in June)