Does anyone purposely make their food taste bad?

Options
For instance if I'm craving something I shouldn't have, I'll make it but sabotage it in some way. I'll put too much pepper on it or something in order to "train" myself that it's not good anyway. Is this normal or eating disordered behavior?

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Not to intentionally be mean, but I think that's weird.

But, if it works, then OK. But, I'd eventually just train yourself to use portion control. Just portion out one serving, cook and prepare it, and that's it.
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but I know (from your profile and past posts) that you have struggled with ED before, and this doesn't seem like a healthy direction for you. To me it seems too much like making food an enemy instead of embracing healthy choices in your life and I think you are treading in dangerous water with this. I'm not an expert and can't tell you if this qualifies as "disordered" (if you're seeing a doctor or therapist you should bring this up for sure and they could tell you more) but as both a psychology major and a health conscious individual, this behavior sends up a lot of red flags for me :/
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    That's not normal. Enjoy what you eat but control the quantity.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    That's not normal. Enjoy what you eat but control the quantity.

I love your pic, it's awesome
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I don't want to discourage you but in your case, since your profile says that you're trying to recover, please don't alienate yourself from food. The pepper you put on your, let's say pizza, can take a different turn and become the too much pepper on your eggs.

If it's really a craving that your body doesn't need, distract yourself instead. Many people suggest brushing teeth, if you're home jump into the shower. Go out and get some fresh air for 10 minutes. You're stronger than your cravings and strong enough to give your body what it needs.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Is this normal or eating disordered behavior?

its WHACK! life is too short to do this to yourself.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    This is an unhealthy mindset.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    what I've heard before is making that dish you want so bad, cutting it in half then salting the other half to the point of not eating it...
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Purposely? Well, sort of.
    I don't want to make it taste bad, but I know it's going to because I'm a bad cook and yet I still make it anyways.
    If you need diet support, just come to my house for dinner.
  • ourwickedlies
    ourwickedlies Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That is eating disorder behavior. I once read this article about "freaky eating" a while back and that was one of the signs that someone has or could be developing an eating disorder.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I don't understand that, but if it works for you then fine.

Its the same way that I don't understand people that are habitually late so that set their clocks so they feel 15 minutes behind all the time. If you know that you altered it, do you just compensate?

This reminds me of people who spent their entire lives saying that they hate a certain food, then when they eat it prepared better/differently they find that the love it and can't stop eating it. Does that work in reverse when you know that you're being "tricked".
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    NO WAY! I want to enjoy my food. Just eat better food. There is plenty of good food that is good for you. Why deny yourself that?
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    it's kinda odd... why not just make a smaller amount of it so u can not overeat it???
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Nope. I just enjoy my food. If it's something that isn't "healthy", I just enjoy in moderation. Food is not the enemy.
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Is this normal or eating disordered behavior?

its WHACK! life is too short to do this to yourself.

Instead you should train yourself to eat smaller portions of foods you love. Life really is too short to freak out over this kind of stuff. It's not a big deal! Just learn to eat less of it less frequently.
  • mainelymama
    Options
    I would never make food taste bad that I am going to eat, but I have dumped LOADS of salt on my resturaunt meals in order to get myself to not eat the rest while waiting for the slip!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Not good.
  • branflake6
    branflake6 Posts: 115
    Options
    I would say its odd and wasteful to cook food, make it uneatable on purpose. I agree with the many others on here, you need to learn to distract yourself from craving and just practice portion control
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Where'd I see this before.....? Ah, the Kardazz'ians do that. Well, Kim. She sprays windex on the yummy stuff.

I hate myself a little for knowing that.
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I will buy a crappier version of something I love har because I know I won't binge on it. I would say ruining food, however, is a good way to give yourself a little bit of a complex. Or maybe you already have one! :tongue: