Portion Control vs. Eating "Clean" ??

Options

Replies

• wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    if you eat less calories than your body needs you will lose weight.

if you are also concerned about your overall health, then your food choices will play a role.

This sums it up nicely.

I find that there are less cravings when eating clean, most likely because your body is getting all of the nutrients that it needs from the food itself; so its easier to sustain it without falling off the wagon.

Keep in mind that processed foods are usually processed for 3 (at least) reasons: Shelf life, taste and marketing. So they usually end up have the fiber, essential oils, and other things removed. That's the reason that so many are loaded with preservatives, sodium and sugar, and artificial colors.
  • chichun
    chichun Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've actually tried both. A year ago I did portion control, and lost most of the weight I wanted to lose, but found myself plateauing, mostly because while portion control is great and I was eating less - I wasn't eating enough nutrients and my body went into starvation mode and I ended up gaining every single pound back, and then some.

This year, after learning what all the horrible preservatives and chemicals in refined foods can do, I switched to eating clean. I've lost weight quicker since switching and I've also found myself in a much better mood and I feel much better than I ever have before I switched to eating clean.

In short, portion control is important, but so is eating cleaner, which you said you're doing (apples instead of chips) which is great, but so is eating cleaner foods (homemade meals instead of prepackaged dinners). :)
  • RondaK1
    RondaK1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight if you are eating less calories than your body needs, true , however in order to lose the right kind of weight. namely fat versus lean muscle you need to eat what your body needs. If you listen it will tell you what it needs. When you are eating highly processed foods, your body wants more because it is trying to glean out the few nutrients in the product. When you eat what your body needs, you will not want to eat as much.. Unless you are eating to satisfy an emotional need ...Dont forget the difference between treats and snacks .. a treat is something junky that you just want.. a snack is something in between meals that is healthy. We all want junk once in a while ..Why deny , just satisfy. Be good to your body , it is not a separate entity , it IS you.
  • SherriLibrarian
    Options
    Is it possible to do both? I'm new to this, and I would prefer to eat clean but I'm not sure I'm organized enough. I would like to eat as healthy as possible, and throw in some processed stuff (usually low fat) that my family likes and so I don't feel deprived. In the past that has been my problem with diets.

Can someone define "eating clean" for me?
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    The only reason I don't like things like that is because they don't fill me up. I have a huge appetite, so I have found ways to have much more satisfying meals and snacks that are not only "cleaner" but you get more bang for your calorie buck. (high protein has done wonders for me) it's all about what works for you. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Can portion control diets help one lose weight reguardless of what they are eating?? I have been doing the Weight Watchers method, by rationing & it has been working great. I don't necessarily eat "clean" but I do make a concious effort to choose grilled chicken over fried, apples over chips, stuff like that. Moderation has been working for me ( 8 lbs in about 2 weeks) , but I've been getting alot of hell about eating Healthy Choice / Weight Watcher foods, 100 Calorie packs, and candy. I rarely go over my calories, drink plenty of water, take a multi vitamin & exercise daily.
    I say, do what works for you and what you can maintain!

If I'm not willing to give up certain foods forever, I'm not cutting them out now. For me, its about learning to eat in a way I want to eat for the rest of my life. I do believe that the more you choose healthier options "this time" (i.e. I'll get the grilled chicken sandwich instead of the fried "this time") rather than telling yourself you "can't" have it (i.e. I "can't" have the fried chicken because I'm on a diet) your tastes will change. I'm finding this true in my eating. Example: I used to eat those big bakery bagels all the time, I would crave them. I backed off for a while, choosing an English muffin & egg instead (also yummy!) just to cut back on calories & up protein at breakfast. Well... I had one the other day. It really didn't taste that good anymore! It's much easier to pass them up now if they are in the cupboard. (This hasn't worked for me yet when it comes to doughnuts...just saying!)

If your friends are giving you a hard time about your food choices...there is a "Remove Friend" button. I'm not saying remove every friend who gives you constructive criticism. Your friends are here to give you support and receive the same, that's what makes this site work! But if they can't accept your choices they aren't going to be very supportive.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to do both? I'm new to this, and I would prefer to eat clean but I'm not sure I'm organized enough. I would like to eat as healthy as possible, and throw in some processed stuff (usually low fat) that my family likes and so I don't feel deprived. In the past that has been my problem with diets.

Clean means nothing processed. Nothing made in a plant or lab. Eating things that are "whole" and "fresh", things found in nature not in a lab. Fruits, veggies, healthy oils, lean meats, fish, seeds, nuts, etc.
  • RondaK1
    RondaK1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    BRAVO :)
    :bigsmile:
  • laurenjbenney
    Options
    For the most part, a calorie is a calorie. While it is possible to lose weight eating whatever you want if you stay under your calorie budget, your body won't feel as good as if you were eating clean

I agree with this! You can loose as much weight as you want whilst eating small amounts of crap but will your body will be so much healthier if you eat the good stuff! You'll look so much better (no blemishes; nice hair and fingernails) too if you stick to healthy foods!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Rule of thumb: If it gets advertised on TV its probably not a whole food. You don't see too many commercials for celery, apples, and carrots.

Keep in mind that there are only a handful of whole foods that have a shelf life of more than a couple of weeks.
  • Salasel
    Salasel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Not all calories are created equal. and your progress and over all health will reflect that. Eating correctly will allow you to max out your workouts and see the best results. Eating the right things 80% of the time will allow you to slip up or have the occasional Twinkie Ice cream sundae beer or cocktail .. We are human and all have our vices!
  • emiskins
    emiskins Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Can portion control diets help one lose weight reguardless of what they are eating?? I have been doing the Weight Watchers method, by rationing & it has been working great. I don't necessarily eat "clean" but I do make a concious effort to choose grilled chicken over fried, apples over chips, stuff like that. Moderation has been working for me ( 8 lbs in about 2 weeks) , but I've been getting alot of hell about eating Healthy Choice / Weight Watcher foods, 100 Calorie packs, and candy. I rarely go over my calories, drink plenty of water, take a multi vitamin & exercise daily.

The ingredients in processed foods can be brutal on your hormones. I'm no shining star of clean eating but I do try to keep chemicals to a minimum. Once you learn about the stuff they put in packaged foods you won't want to touch them. For example, do you know how they keep the cookie dough in cookie dough ice cream soft? With a chemical made from ANIMAL HAIR! Gross! However, I do occasionally eat processed foods because it's still a better option than fast food when you're in a pickle.
  • emiskins
    emiskins Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Amy's Organic frozen meals are a good compromise.
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that say in our world its difficult VERY difficult to eat 100 percent clean. Yes, you can get the fruits and veggies...but the meat all packaged (unless you go to a butcher) is pre packaged too. Canned stuff...like tuna and chicken has sodium, lunch meat, ect....all "healthy", but the sodium. Some of these things have just as much sodium as a lean cuisine...maybe less, maybe slightly more. Point given, unless you have a garden and your a farmer, I don't understand how one eats totally clean. It is VERY costly....get the protein powders, those too have sodium...and egg has sodium.

I have a freezer stocked with Lean Cuisine and our meats. I don't eat the frozen dinner/meal every day, but I'm not throwing them away. I stock pile, and find that sometimes that is my option to eat. I agree too much sodium. However, its not always my choice to eat it.

However, if I have a house full of cakes, cookies, candy, and other sugar laden junk...I'm more likely to get the trash bag out and throw those away.

I've lost 60lbs before coming to MFP. My weight loss has jump started again since being here over the past month. It helps to monitor my meals, carbs, fats, protein, fiber and sodium.

I also go out to eat, because its reality in my life. For instance was at Hospice yesterday visiting a dying family member. I couldn't just go get my food all ready to go. I had some popcorn, yep a salad from McDonalds...and last night hard tacos and beans from a Mexican restaurant. It was all I could do. I tried the best to log what I ate on finding what was on the database here. Its all a science. Not fool proof that's for sure!

Its all about making the right choices!!! I didn't eat the "value" meal at McDonalds or the combo at the Mex restaurant. I ate something as healthy that I could find.

If I eat the Lean Cuisine, I try to make the smarter choice in which one. I eat healthier other meals of the day...drink the water, ect.

Bottom line: Do what's right for you. We cannot afford 100 percent "clean eating" here. I do my best when shopping for my family and you could bet for sure there is always a fruit or veggie on the table for every meal. That is more than I can say for most of American society. How many kids don't know what a veggie is?

Ok...enough venting.
  • AngelaKoder
    Options
    If it's working for you and you feel fine, I say stick with it! Good job chica!
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    WOW. I just looked at your diary. Maybe you should try to eat at least one clean meal a day, just to see if it makes a difference.
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    i've found that portion control is what has helped me lose weight; not necessarily what i'm eating.
    i want to eat healthy as well tho. the problem is i don't know exactly WHAT i should be avoiding.
    ive tried harder to cut out food with artificial coloring tho, but what other stuff in foods i should be avoiding to eat "healthy", i dont know.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I lost weight by cutting my portions right down. I was already eating clean, just far too much of it. If I eat processed food I generally feel sluggish. I also gave up alcohol - boy did that make a differerence!
  • MellyMelx23o
    Options
    I love to eat out, I love fast food, I think I've been doing pretty damn good. I excercise often! Everyone says I'll feel better if I eat "clean"....no, I'll be miserable because what I really want is a burger! & I wont be satisfied untill I get it. Therefore, portion control has helped me significantly. The lean cuisene's may be full of sodium but I VERY rarely go over my sodium for the day.

Oh well, to each their own...
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I love to eat out, I love fast food, I think I've been doing pretty damn good. I excercise often! Everyone says I'll feel better if I eat "clean"....no, I'll be miserable because what I really want is a burger! & I wont be satisfied untill I get it. Therefore, portion control has helped me significantly. The lean cuisene's may be full of sodium but I VERY rarely go over my sodium for the day.

Oh well, to each their own...

You are right, you will crave the "unhealthy" stuff...for a while, at least. Coming from someone who's gone from eating all junk all the time to eating almost nothing pre-packaged (exceptions are low sodium canned tuna, whole grain pasta, whole grain bread, and some frozen veggies), I do know what you mean. When I first cut out all the other stuff, the first three or four days were the WORST! I was like a rabid animal and very difficult to be around. I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that it's your body going through withdrawal from all the extra sugars and chemicals that are in the processed stuff. It's not easy by any means, and I don't think anyone here is saying that it is, nor are they saying that you HAVE to eat that way. However, sometimes what we WANT is not always what we NEED. You've lost weight, and that's good. Congratulations for having come this far. I assure you, though, that after about a week, you will find that, even if you do crave the processed/fast food, it's not like the ravenous, "I've gotta have it or I'm gonna go insane" kind of cravings you get in the beginning. It gets easier to say no. If you can push yourself through that first week, I promise you, it's worth it. Like I said in my previous comment, if what you're doing is working and you don't think "clean" eating is for you, don't do it. However, you may find at some point down the road that your body will stop responding to what you are doing now. At that point, you may want to consider getting onto a clean eating regimen to get things going again.