"You are fat"

Options

Replies

• saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I'm always a bit confused when people use the obvious as an argument or even insult tactic. I've had people just come up to me in places and say, "you're fat" like they expect me to suddenly realize it for the first time in 22 years. Like I'm supposed to demand a mirror then cry when I see my double chin and large stomach and scream, "how could I have not known?!"

That aside you basically encountered someone who can't debate for beans. You can't use someone's weight regarding why or why not something should be consumed by them. If it's unhealthy for the fat person, don't you think it's unhealthy for someone who weighs 90lbs dripping wet? They wanted to win and obviously couldn't power their brain up enough to do it tactfully so they pulled the "well you're [insert things like fat, thin, some specific race, etc here]!" The best response, if you're going to grace them with one, is "So? You're [obvious statement]. I don't see what playing Captain Obvious will do for this."
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    People resort to insults because they're too damn stupid to continue on the argument.

Exactly.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    People resort to insults because they're too damn stupid to continue on the argument.

^^ THIS !! and this is exactly what I needed to hear myself after someone insulted me over something ridiculous. My answer to him was, your parents must be extremely proud that they raised such a fine and polite young man. He actually hushed after that :) Sometimes hitting them with the reality that they would not say these things in front of their parents, children, or you face to face makes them wake up. Others are just too far gone to care. Gotta love internet gangsters! :P

@Tina - nothing wrong with a healthy debate ;)

:laugh: I just said "Yes I am, thanks for your concern". He actually ended up deleting his comment, which I thought was hysterical.
  • abberbabber
    Options
    The fact that you were arguing with someone on the internet is just as immature.

Yeah, they are losers for what they said, but why let other people control your emotions?

What can I say, I'm a sucker for a good debate :laugh: And who said I was letting anyone control my emotions? It's not like I went off on some sort of crying jag or even got really upset. It was more of a :huh: moment. I've never understood why people act like that when they have a disagreement with someone.

But yea, stating my opinion is just as immature as calling someone names :laugh:
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    Being on the internet IS high school all over again.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    No one that eats fast food often is healthy. Fat or thin. End of debate.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate that! if i am sitting at McDonalds eating a cheeseburger and french fries, and a heavier person is eating the exact same thing and someone makes a comment about the person being fat because they are eating a cheeseburger.... HELLO!? I am eating a cheeseburger, YOU are eating a cheeseburger, why can't that person eat their damn cheeseburger without being judged!?!!?!?!? can you say "damn" on here?! we'll find out. anyway, my point is, you don't know someones story, maybe they eat healthy every day and that cheeseburger is a reward to themselves for reaching a goal, I don't get why it's okay for a skinny person to eat something, but not okay for a heavier person to eat it? grrrr

^^ that's my rant! and i don't mean "you" specifically, i mean the people who make such comments
  • abberbabber
    Options
    I'm always a bit confused when people use the obvious as an argument or even insult tactic. I've had people just come up to me in places and say, "you're fat" like they expect me to suddenly realize it for the first time in 22 years. Like I'm supposed to demand a mirror then cry when I see my double chin and large stomach and scream, "how could I have not known?!"

That aside you basically encountered someone who can't debate for beans. You can't use someone's weight regarding why or why not something should be consumed by them. If it's unhealthy for the fat person, don't you think it's unhealthy for someone who weighs 90lbs dripping wet? They wanted to win and obviously couldn't power their brain up enough to do it tactfully so they pulled the "well you're [insert things like fat, thin, some specific race, etc here]!" The best response, if you're going to grace them with one, is "So? You're [obvious statement]. I don't see what playing Captain Obvious will do for this."

:laugh: Right? Like I somehow magically got fat without noticing?

I know you guys are probably right, I was just kind of like.... "What the hell?" and curious what other people thought of it.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Define 'often', please.
  • katicasi82
    katicasi82 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what the topic at hand was about. Their argument was that her opinion was invalidated automatically because of her weight. The implication is that overweight people's opinions on food-related matters don't carry any credibility, because of bias, even if they're against said food/food chain. Ironic, isn't it?

And you'd think that people would recognise that overweight peeps know MORE about this sort of food validating their point further :)
  • abberbabber
    Options

Truth :laugh: I also think people say things to people on the internet that they wouldn't have the guts to say in real life.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    This has happened to be before. In a Sonic drive-thru, hilariously enough. He was taking forever reading the menu (literally 10 minutes) so I drove around him and he started cursing at me and called me fat. I stayed calm, saw that the guy was driving a Suzuki with 'Matt Blatt' (the dealer known for bailing people out with bad credit) plate covers and commented on his unfortunate bad credit and white trash demeanor. That shut him up.

Wait... what was the question?

PS, people who use the "fat" or "ugly" excuse have obviously nothing intelligent to say so they insult. You won the argument.... hands down.
  • abberbabber
    Options
    It doesn't matter what the topic at hand was about. Their argument was that her opinion was invalidated automatically because of her weight. The implication is that overweight people's opinions on food-related matters don't carry any credibility, because of bias, even if they're against said food/food chain. Ironic, isn't it?

Thank you! The only time it would be REMOTELY relevant would be if I were like "You can eat fast food every day and still be a healthy weight. Look at me!".
  • legs_n_bacon
    legs_n_bacon Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Some people are dilholes.
  • Angel_Eyes1975
    Angel_Eyes1975 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Agreed..
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate that! if i am sitting at McDonalds eating a cheeseburger and french fries, and a heavier person is eating the exact same thing and someone makes a comment about the person being fat because they are eating a cheeseburger.... HELLO!? I am eating a cheeseburger, YOU are eating a cheeseburger, why can't that person eat their damn cheeseburger without being judged!?!!?!?!? can you say "damn" on here?! we'll find out. anyway, my point is, you don't know someones story, maybe they eat healthy every day and that cheeseburger is a reward to themselves for reaching a goal, I don't get why it's okay for a skinny person to eat something, but not okay for a heavier person to eat it? grrrr

^^ that's my rant! and i don't mean "you" specifically, i mean the people who make such comments

as a overwieght person who loves cheeseburgers, i think i love you
  • Angel_Eyes1975
    Angel_Eyes1975 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Truth :laugh: I also think people say things to people on the internet that they wouldn't have the guts to say in real life.

This in IMO is so true..
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    The art of debate has basically been lost in our society. Two or more people should be able to discuss differences of opinion in an articulate manner without resorting to ridicule and name calling. This used to be a sign of maturity and manners. Of course part of the problem is no matter how advanced we are as a society it's not acceptable to agree that we disagree. I may not like anothers opinion on a topic but if it is presented to me in an intelligent manner i respect and acknowledge their right to think as they do. I may also end up changing my view of the topic if they are persuasive in the facts they present. But if they just yell, name call and belittle me i usually end up thinking they are ignorant as do most people in that situation.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    The art of debate has basically been lost in our society. Two or more people should be able to discuss differences of opinion in an articulate manner without resorting to ridicule and name calling. This used to be a sign of maturity and manners. Of course part of the problem is no matter how advanced we are as a society it's not acceptable to agree that we disagree. I may not like anothers opinion on a topic but if it is presented to me in an intelligent manner i respect and acknowledge their right to think as they do. I may also end up changing my view of the topic if they are persuasive in the facts they present. But if they just yell, name call and belittle me i usually end up thinking they are ignorant as do most people in that situation.

Exactly.
  • pshaffer23
    pshaffer23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is slightly off topic but worth a read-about the whole ridiculous notion that it's only fat people that are unhealthy if they're eating crap food whereas a skinny person is considered somewhat cool or even more attractive:

http://backtoherroots.com/2012/07/20/the-one-where-i-rant-about-bacon/

Anyways-I agree-personal insults in the middle of a debate are lame. Also I live in Boston and the whole Chik Fil et (however you spell it) argument is hot right now so thought i'd post :)