Meals for One

Options
misspinkshorts
misspinkshorts Posts: 41 Member
Hey, so Im new to MFP and new to living on my own. Im 20 and I've struggled with eating healthy and being fit basically my whole live. Its so much easier to cook unhealthy meals for myself because every time I try make a nice healthy meal there is to much leftover food and I throw so much away. I need to stick to a budget but healthy food is more expensive so I can't be throwing half of it away.

Does anybody have any good meal ideas for someone who lives alone so I can eat healthy and save money?

Thanks!

Replies

• thetiniestgirl
    Options
    It's a challenge to cook for one. What I do sometimes is bulk cooking. I'll make a bunch of plain chicken (or whatever meat/protein) one night, and then I'll season it differently when I reheat it. I'd also switch up the sides every night. So like, maybe Monday I'd do a stir-fry, and maybe Tuesday I'd shred it and put it in tacos or soup, or whatever.
  • lka6
    lka6 Posts: 8
    Options
    I agree it can be difficult to cook for one. My husband works on the road and is gone 2 weeks at a time. So, when I cook I still cook for 2 (or make the full recipe), dish out 1 serving and freeze the rest into single servings. This way I only actually cook half of the time and only have dishes half the time! I also agree with making enough meat/protein for an entire week, if you know you will use it. I did this for awhile but found I was still throwing some of it away at the end of the week.
  • shannond1980
    shannond1980 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It's a challenge to cook for one. What I do sometimes is bulk cooking. I'll make a bunch of plain chicken (or whatever meat/protein) one night, and then I'll season it differently when I reheat it. I'd also switch up the sides every night. So like, maybe Monday I'd do a stir-fry, and maybe Tuesday I'd shred it and put it in tacos or soup, or whatever.

Pretty much this ^^
    and Single persons bestie = slow cooker
    I usually set aside some time on weekends and do some cooking for the week and then portion out some and freeze some of it for other meals during the week.
  • misspinkshorts
    misspinkshorts Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This was really helpful!