How would you log this?

Options
cbevan1229
cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
I'm going out to a nice restaurant tonight, and I am planning to eat whatever I like - wine, appetizer, entree, dessert. I've kept my intake for the daytime very conservative, and did my exercise this morning, so that I have about 1200 cals left for dinner, which would bring me to my goal calories.

I have no idea how to count the calories in this meal, and I don't even really want to, because I want to enjoy it without over analyzing. I was thinking about just quick adding calories to my diary to bring my daily total up to about 2000 (roughly maintenance level calories) so that when I look back, I'll know this was not a calorie deficit day.

Does this make sense?

Replies

• 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'd do just the way you suggested. When going out for a nice dinner, I don't want to over analyze. It would kill my enjoyment of the dinner.
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i log what i eat even when i go out. if im over, oh well, you cant be perfect every day.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    Eat first, ask questions later!
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I like to log it all, even on evenings out when I am guessing. One time I was in a hurry and just quick added 2100 calories, and even thought I overshot. The next day I took the time to actually log it in and try to add it all up. I was still about 1200 calories short having only eaten 1/2 of an app, salad, entree, and 1/2 dessert (plus 2 glasses wine). I couldn't believe it, so I double-checked. Yep. It was a big hit but worth it. I logged it correctly, and adjusted for the rest of my week. I learned a lot about my own assumptions of food. :)

I now find it much easier to do the research first and decide at home what I should order to help control my calories.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Before I go out to eat, I search MFP food diary to see if that resturant is listed. Most i have searched are in there. That makes it easy for me to pick out what i am having for dinner before I get there.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about just quick adding calories to my diary to bring my daily total up to about 2000 (roughly maintenance level calories) so that when I look back, I'll know this was not a calorie deficit day.

Does this make sense?

Sounds like a plan! *thumbs up*
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    enjoy it and don't over analyze it. enjoy yourself (within moderation). a cheat meal can be a very beneficial thing to a diet, both mentally and physically.

don't jump on the scale tomorrow. no regrets!!
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    When we eat out, I do my best to guesstimate what the calories are and I don't fret too much about going over as long as I am not doing it more than once or maybe twice a week
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Just quick add calories and don't worrie. It's not like it's something that happens often
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    just log it then you will know how much you are over. Who really cares this is a night out. We are all bound to go over somedays. I do get what you are saying but if you are going to estimate log you may as well log. Let's say you are totally stuffed and miserable when you come home, then you log your meal and find out if you ate just half of your app and half of your dinner (which you probably wouldn't miserable about) you would have been under in calories. You could go out and enjoy your meal with a better conscience and a better outlook. I try not to go out to dinner with an idea that I am totally going to blow it. I try to figure out ways to enjoy myself staying in my comfort zone. I have days I go over and it is usually enjoyable. a lot to say I would log it and move on! :) Enjoy your night and your freedom to pick and choose to eat what you want! :) You work hard and deserve a night of sheer freedom!!! ~CC
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    when i go to rest. I google and see if they have menu online. I like cause I have already picked out what I want. I have logged it and can enjoy my meal in my calories without worry.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I say, "Be a rebel -- don't log it at all!" But then, I'm kind of an anarchist, so don't go by what I say.
  • giantsr1
    giantsr1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just went out to dinner last night. When I got home I logged the best I could. It was a local restaurant so I had no idea on the calorie count of their dish so I went with a comparable dish from Olive Garden (I had eggplant parm). But l logged my wine and extras as best as I could. I enjoyed my dinner greatly as it was the first time in two months since I started my weight loss journey that I had been out to dinner. I am down 16 pounds and have 13 more to go. I have been to family bbq and such where it is very difficult to know exactly how to log a casserole someone made so I do sometimes add quick cals and usually try to overestimated the calories as opposed to underestimate. No matter how you log it - Enjoy!!
  • RancidPolecat2
    Options
    If you have a full meal at a restaurant, including an entree, appetizer, bread (everyone forgets that), dessert and alcohol, count on at least 2000 calories for that meal alone. Any full formal restaurant meal is going to be between 1800 and 2500.

If it's not possible to break it down, create a custom food broken down as: 40% fat, 30% carbs, 30% protein. I have one that works out to 100 calories, and if I have a big meal, I record 20 servings of it.

Sometimes you need to suck it up and admit you had a bad food day.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm going out to a nice restaurant tonight, and I am planning to eat whatever I like - wine, appetizer, entree, dessert. I've kept my intake for the daytime very conservative, and did my exercise this morning, so that I have about 1200 cals left for dinner, which would bring me to my goal calories.

I have no idea how to count the calories in this meal, and I don't even really want to, because I want to enjoy it without over analyzing. I was thinking about just quick adding calories to my diary to bring my daily total up to about 2000 (roughly maintenance level calories) so that when I look back, I'll know this was not a calorie deficit day.

Does this make sense?

I've done this before. I wouldn't do it often - but a one night out rarity then enjoy the night!!
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I say, "Be a rebel -- don't log it at all!" But then, I'm kind of an anarchist, so don't go by what I say.

I'll second James, I love MFP, but I do hate being tied to my tablet so delete all your earlier postings, forget about today and enjoy yourself tonight!
  • Dragonldy69
    Dragonldy69 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    :happy: I say go out and enjoy yourself.. If you go over you go over.. Tomorrow is anothe day and you only get to enjoy a good meal once in awhile. If you don't want to log it it's up to you just write it down on paper so you know what you had .. I have a journal on paper that I write everything I eat when I am not near a computer and to keep track of what I eat.. Logging here on the site is also good but sometimes I have a hard time knowing what to put or look for to add to it..
    Enjoy yourself and have fun..
    :flowerforyou:
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I went to a wine tasting dinner night before last and prepped for it by jogging for 20 and eliptical for 30. My net cal was still in the green.
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    It's ultimately up to you, but I love that you said you want to enjoy it. So eat and enjoy first (I'm sure by now you have) and then come back to MFP and log what you think it would be BUT don't over-analyze if you went over even by 1000 (I'm sure the meal will tap in at least 1,500 alone).

You have to look at it as to what's more important sometimes - going out and enjoying a meal with the people you love, or not and sacrificing that in order to stay within a certain calorie and macro allowance. It's a lifestyle change, this one night won't kill anyone, even if MFP is in the red for the day or week.

Have fun!
  • sunshine83777
    Options
    Just do "quick add calories", and type in a note. Went out to dinner.
    Enjoy!!