blisters on my feet

Options
I started yesterday with a exercise program and today I have blisters on the bottom of my feet. Does anyone know how to treat them and how long I will not be able to work out? I have been doing 2 miles a day on the treadmill, but will try the stationary bike tomorrow.

Replies

• Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    use mole skin.. u can get it at the pharmacy or walmart.
  • MCinSoCal
    MCinSoCal Posts: 87
    Options
    That was happening to me when I first started walking/jogging 2+ miles, I wore open shoes sandals to get my feet air and just newsprint, never heard of mole skin but maybe worth a shot, hopefully they heal up fast. Also someone told me to put deodorant on my feet/toes to help prevent blisters, once they're healed of course, it seems to help on my toes, I dont or haven't had the ones on the bottoms of my feet in a long while.
  • MCinSoCal
    MCinSoCal Posts: 87
    Options
    [/quote] just newsprint
    [/quote]
    Neosporin
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    You could try a foot bath with baking soda in the water.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    essential oils like lavender and tea tree will help dry them out
  • denisebme
    denisebme Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have a blister on my heel right now, and a job that requires serious time on my feet. I use superglue, it burns a little, but it effectively seals the skin, throw a bandage over it, and I'm back moving immediately. I will do close to 8000 steps tonight, with no pain. It's an old distance hiking/running trick.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I just drain my blisters, throw some heavy duty band-aids on them and continue running as usual. But having shoes that fit properly and socks made of the right material would probably solve most of your blister problems. These socks: http://www.sofsole.com/mens/socks/friction (which I've found at Sports Authority but nowhere else) are really great. I haven't had any blister problems since I started wearing them.
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    First off DON'T POP THEM unless you literally can't walk on them because of the swelling. If you do, use a sterile lancet (like the diabetics use) and make a couple small holes near the edge of the blister and gently drain the fluid out. Then, cover it with an antibiotic ointment + bandaid or gauze pad so it doesn't get infected. Once it dries out, it will somewhat flatten and not bother you for a few weeks. Try to keep your foot as dry as possible until this happens. When new skin forms enough that the blistered skin gets dry and tough, then you need to soak the foot in water and gently exfoliate the top layer of skin (with a pumice stone or similar). You may have to do this a few times until the fresh new skin emerges. If the dry, tough skin is really bothering you, putting a thick coat of lotion on your foot (and cover it with a sock) when you go to bed should help the healing process.
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I just drain my blisters, throw some heavy duty band-aids on them and continue running as usual. But having shoes that fit properly and socks made of the right material would probably solve most of your blister problems. These socks: http://www.sofsole.com/mens/socks/friction (which I've found at Sports Authority but nowhere else) are really great. I haven't had any blister problems since I started wearing them.

Thanks for the recommendation! I've managed to solve the wetness problem but the friction is still an issue for me. I'm gonna grab a pack of these from Big 5! :D

I suffer from dyshidrotic eczema breakouts on my feet (many blisters!) and I think these would help a lot.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    When I started running, I got blisters on the balls of my feet. I bought good socks and haven't any problems since then. Hope you heal quickly!
  • grosspam
    grosspam Posts: 1
    Options
    Try soaking your feet in epson salts. Also, your foot wear is probably the problem. Your tennis shoes should NOT be snug. Your toes should not touch the top of the shoe at alll. Buy a pair that has a little extra room and then you can also buy some Dr. schools inserts. i work retail and i am on my feet every day on a concrete floor. When I saw a pediatrist he gave me those tips and in about a week my feet quit hurting and i am fine now. Also, you can get an emory board for feet at walmart to help get rid of those callosus.