What foods did you think were healthy but actually aren't??

Options

Replies

• funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Muffins. (You might as well have a cupcake with icing.)

Granola.

Dried fruit.
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I use to order pasta with grilled chicken when eating out because I thought it was healthier/lower calorie than sandwiches and fries. Hahahaha. Oh my.... no. Or at least very rarely. And I would eat the whole thing! Dumb Dumb Dumb.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Since my first criteria for determining if a food is healthy or not is its calorie count, I'd include several items on my list. These shocked me when I first started getting educated about how much I really need to eat: granola, pasta, dried fruit, peanut butter, grapes, "fruit on the bottom" yogurt, and most breads.

Not that these foods are bad for you, just shocked me how loaded they can be.

you should change your first criteria
  • ketaparker
    Options
    i agree! i used to think drinking juices was healthy, but i gained 10 lbs from them! i drink more water now :smile:
  • ketaparker
    Options
    true! i was eating a blueberry muffin for breakfast, but was wondering why i could NOT lose weight. i finally figured out "the muffin was NOT helping"! :smile:
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    special K or fiber bars. Too processed with hidden crap in them. I use this app called FOODUCATE where you scan the car code and those got C's and D's on the ratings.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I used to think Smart Ones, Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine meals were healthy...until I read how processed they were. YIKES!
    Same with diet sodas. Something should have told me they were bad when I got headaches from drinking them :(
  • annew1952
    annew1952 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I agree with whoever said salads ordered in restaurant. Also the dressings especially the creamy ones. And a lot of
    processed foods have so much sodium.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots
  • Snoopy108
    Snoopy108 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Smoothies can be very dangerous.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Nothing, really. I have always been pretty on the ball about nutrition.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots

What's wrong with Baby carrots?
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Ranch dressing and soy sauce :/
  • shoesalwaysfit
    shoesalwaysfit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    there are no unhealthy foods.

agree

Fried Chicken Fat....
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    Peanut butter... not the natural kind. Everyone says that peanut butter is a good source of protein, but I have always over-eaten it (comfort food), but the natural kind is what's best and only in moderation... bummer.

the natural kind is the best. it actually tastes like peanuts XD

if i ever win the lottery i'm going to order actual hazelnut butter, containing only ground hazelnuts. they are my favorite food EVER and i just can't with nutella.
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Wendy's Triple Baconator. All the people in the commercials that eat them are skinny. Don't understand why so many real life people who eat that stuff are fat. Hmmmmm.....
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Tofu and soy milk.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    Margarine
    It's just pseudo stuff pretending to be a "healthier" sub for butter! Butter is so much tastier, I'm glad I switched to the real kind!

Granola bars
    Most of them are just candy bars in disguise.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    Fage yogurt. 16 grams of sugar. Nuff said.

get the plain, add your own berries. 7 grams of carbs.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    there are no unhealthy foods.

agree

Fried Chicken Fat....

some people eat lots of fat (50-70%!) and lose weight this way.

i personally don't like chicken fat, but pork fat is a whole 'nother ball game here.

oh man.