Paleo Diet

Options
I'm thinking of starting this soon and all I've heard so far are positives about it. Would like to know if anyone out there has done this and gotten any negatives. Positive feedback is good too :).

Replies

• twaltemade
    twaltemade Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of starting this soon and all I've heard so far are positives about it. Would like to know if anyone out there has done this and gotten any negatives. Positive feedback is good too :).

There is a Paleo group that you can join in MFP. I suggest joining the group and reading the history. I have been doing the same thing and I have learned a lot from that group.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i do more low carb and less paleo.. (but i still eat some berries) and yea, it works really well.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Just remember you'll still have to count calories on it.

edit: Actually it probably depends how much you have to lose. If you're close to a goal weight and trying to lean out some more then you should count calories. If you're going from eating very unhealthy to more paleo then you can probably go easy on the tracking.
  • Seamoan87
    Seamoan87 Posts: 106
    Options
    I actually upped my calories from 1200 to 1600 based on what a trainer told me for my weight, height age, etc. I have a goal of 10 more pounds and then I want to start toning. I have this idea because when I was in the military I went in around 130 and came out 130 but more toned and muscular. Not sure if I can weight less but just trying to get to normal and not overweight anymore.
  • Seamoan87
    Seamoan87 Posts: 106
    Options

There is a Paleo group that you can join in MFP. I suggest joining the group and reading the history. I have been doing the same thing and I have learned a lot from that group.

Thanks I'll check it out. Do you have the link for it? Not sure how many paleo groups are on MFP.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I bought the Paleo Comfort Foods cookbook. I recommend it.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'm doing primal. It's like paleo, but with some dairy. This is the first time I've lost weight in a year. Eating the same number of calories I was before.
  • Pacificplayland
    Options
    Started eating a Paleo influenced diet about two weeks ago; I've already lost 6 lbs, I'm never really hungry, I don't have the cravings for sweets and pasta that I once did and I'm starting to have more energy during the day, not to mention my morning headaches have gone away.

You will hear / read a lot of negativity surrounding the Paleo / Primal diet, but hey, if it makes you feel great and you find you have more energy and whatever "ailments" you suffer are vanishing left and right - who cares what anyone else thinks and that logic comes with any positive lifestyle change. You have to find what's right for you, we are not a "one size fits all species" so we need to stop treating eachother that way. On another note: I just found out my Dr. is pro paleo, so it's nice to have someone in the medical field working with you as part of a team. :smile:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    PS - don't mention that you're eating low carbs to anyone. They'll suddenly become an expert and tell you that you're going to starve your brain to death.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I am curious about it as I cannot do grains for the most part anyway. But have not made the leap. I talked to my brother today and he has also been looking at it. He has a friend that made the change and though it has been a challenge he says the friend is really doing well with it, has more energy and has upped his fitness.
  • atlanticgypsy
    atlanticgypsy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    been doing modified paleo for 5months! I feel fantastic!

18304147.png