Do eat processed foods?

Options
I am just wondering how many people are eating prepackaged dinners? I have seen many people post what they eat and it looks like it's mostly something low cal that only requires a microwave.

I can't eat most food like that because of gluten.

I can understand not having time to cook. But it seems to me like eating frozen meals wouldn't be very good for you every day.

Replies

• hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    love my deli meats...so so much sodium, tho

quit all the other frozen lunch selections in place of an apple and protein powder instead
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    love my deli meats...so so much sodium, tho

quit all the other frozen lunch selections in place of an apple and protein powder instead

It's hard to avoid everything processed. I do eat some, just not the frozen dinners.

At my house everyone knows not to touch any deli or lunchmeat! It's for the dogs. Cheaper than treats and a bargaining tool to my stuff back. lol. They only get a small bite at a time.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I do eat a lot of processed foods. Convenience foods are well, convenient.

I don't eat "diet" frozen dinners often mainly because they don't taste that great and often aren't enough calories (protein, fat or fiber) to feel me up.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Can't stand prepackaged dinners but at the same time almost everything is processed in some way, hard to stay away from. I was even making my own flour for bread for a while but it's so time consuming.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    no, I'm pretty much a clean eater. Once I ditched the processed foods, my body had a more positive reaction to my workouts. Plus, I just feel better.

But that's just me. Everyone varies.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    As little as possible, but it's impossible to avoid them entirely. When I got pregnant we ditched our microwave because we decided it was leading to bad eating habits - that was over 4 years ago and while I miss microwave popcorn that's about it. The TV dinners are a lot less attractive when they take an hour in the oven - I can make fresh from scratch food in a fraction of that time.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I used to live off of Marie Calendar's TV dinners, but I lived by myself and really had no reason to cook. I hate cooking just for myself.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I have some microwave dinners for lunch sometimes, especially in the summer when I don't want to heat up the house further cooking something for one person.

I prefer to eat a home-cooked meal... but I don't always want to make one.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Frozen dinners tend to be loaded with carbs and sodium. Deli meats have nitrates. I don't eat the former and avoid the latter. I would rather buy a rotisserie chicken, pull that apart and put it in sandwiches or just eat it off the bone.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid it but as others have said it's not always possible. I can't remember the last time I had a frozen tv dinner though.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    After living in rural Africa for five years, I was like a kid in a candy store when I came back to the U.S. I went to Costco and bought a bunch of pre-packaged foods that I thought would make life oh so much easier. I found that they didn't taste very good, they're not very healthy, and cooking from scratch gives me more control over what I and my family are putting in our bodies. Stuff like "hamburger helper" is so ridiculous...I can make the same meal from scratch in the same amount of time only using fresh, healthy ingredients and my kids like it better.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I pretty much stay away from all processed foods, I have nothing out of a box, and I eat no lunch meat. I cook in advance and freeze so that I don't have to worry about it.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I try my best not to. It also depends on your definition of processed: organic, raw-milk cheese undergoes processing, but it's not bad for you the way velveeta would be. I define processed as not being able to understand what the ingredients are, and in that case, I don't eat them (or, at least try REALLY hard to avoid them). <3
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    No frozen dinners Lean Cuisine type meals. They taste of nothing. I avoid buying deli meats as much as possible. We do eat some cheese and yogurt.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yep sometimes i risk a gluten rash for trader joe's 3 cheese mac n cheese. same goes for the delicious banh mi sammiches from the vietnamese spot.i personally see no point in 100% avoiding the foods i enjoy.

if i ever get to the stage where my allergy becomes so bad that i get the rashes and throat constriction every time i eat gluten then of course i'll stop. until then i've been losing just fine adding these type things in here and there
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I am just wondering how many people are eating prepackaged dinners? I have seen many people post what they eat and it looks like it's mostly something low cal that only requires a microwave.

I can't eat most food like that because of gluten.

I can understand not having time to cook. But it seems to me like eating frozen meals wouldn't be very good for you every day.

Lean Cuisines? Stuff like that?? I never eat that stuff... I did originally..when I 1st got here. I was just trying to lower my calories. But since coming here realized, I can't eat that crap either lol
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I don't eat the packaged dinners and I try to avoid as much processed food as possible but I'm not close to 100% clean. :(
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I tend to avoid processed frozen stuff and fast food. BUT I do keep some amy's organic frozen burritos and some PJs organic frozen burritos (and a few other Amy's organics) in the freezer for days when time or motivation is lacking. Otherwise I try to eat pretty clean. I don't focus simply on calories. I try to focus on fueling my body.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    The only packaged meal that I eat is Thai Kitchen hot and sour soup, or Mushroom soup. So yummy. They are some of those "just add boiling water" instant type soups, but they are made with rice noodles and are gluten free which is why I eat them.