Weights VS bands

Options
I'm going to be starting ChaLEAN Extreme next month which is a lifting program that gives you the option of weights or bands. That being said, I will need to purchase 15,20,25, and 30 lbs dumb bells or invest in resistance bands. Does anyone have pros/cons with doing either/or? Is one better than the other? Thanks!

Replies

• NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I saw a post a week or so ago where somebody said the band wasn't great but I don't recall the specifics of their complaint. I'm also curious to see what people with first-hand experience have to say.
  • eaglemama70
    Options
    hi I am forty two and five feet weighing about 139 needing to lose more weight. i have started the p90x that my husband has for arms. in his video he has his people doing what they like to use. I prefer weights but my husband uses bands. i like weights only for the control factor. I also like to see my strenght improve and increase my weight over time. i have also heard you burn more calories and the burn goes on after working out...:smile:
  • MaureenCreates
    MaureenCreates Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I was doing CLX and I much preferred weights. Bands are fine if you don't have another option; they're much more adaptable so they go further for your money, but the resistance is lacking in all the lower body exercises. You have the bands under your feet, so the lower you are to the ground for squats, lunges, etc, the less of a workout you're getting.
    Weights give you that constant resistance that's excellent.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I own both. In my view, dumbbells are infinitely better for muscle recruitment and allow you to more easily gauge your progress.
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I also do P90X and much prefer the weights over the bands. I feel like they are a lot harder and you have to work to ensure you have a smooth form. Not to mention, as a female, I just feel more like a bad *kitten*, LOL ;-)
  • sirisaac87
    sirisaac87 Posts: 33
    Options
    Resistance bands are cheaper, but personally I feel that I get a much better workout with the weights. The bands provide resistance, so they will definitely help with toning, but they wont help build muscle. I feel like you can get a more complete workout with weights. But just my opinion.
  • TheDeviation
    TheDeviation Posts: 149
    Options
    Weights. Bands have their place too though. I use them as well.

Check Craigslist for dumbbells. There's always some on there. Another option is dumbbell handles with plates. Easy to adjust and the plates can be used for barbell work later.
  • ncates00
    ncates00 Posts: 51
    Options
    I like and use both. I use regular dumbbells and Bodylastics bands (best bands ever!). Here are my pros and cons:

Dumbbells
    Pros- Good old fashioned weightlifting, you feel the burn the whole time, more "natural" since you are actually lifting something
    Cons- big, heavy, can't travel, must be extra mindful of form because you can use momentum

Bands
    Pros- lightweight, travel, isometric burn when you hold it, you can't use momentum, interchangeable (the Bodylastics are)
    Cons- you only feel the burn "at the top," it's not good old fashioned weightlifting, somewhat limiting in moves but you can make adjustments (I even use my Bodylastics to do pullups with if I can't take my pullup bar)

I'm sure there are other pro's and cons. Price isn't really an issue here. Dumbbells are usually more expensive, but they're a lot more expensive if you get cheap resistance bands at like Wal Mart or something. If you go bands, I HIGHLY recommend the Bodylastics. They are very durable, made with better materials, lifetime warranty, and more useable.

I really like and use both bands and dumbbells. If I had to choose between one or the other, I'd probably go with the dumbbells. They just feel "right" for me. That said, I really like the bands. I take them on vacation or anywhere I go. It really depends on your lifestyle, workout program, and if you travel. Whatever you decide it has to fit you and your way. You can't really go wrong either way, but you have to think about the space to have a dumbbell rack, if you travel, if you want good old fashioned weightlifting, etc. Good luck!
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I've used bands for ages. I started because they're cheaper. They're Portable. They weigh nothing. They store in a small space. You can take them anywhere. No excuses : ) Darn. They come in different resistances. For harder or easier workouts. I experimented and found there was no exercise i couldn't do. I've done weights too. I like bands better. AND they don't hurt if you drop them on your toe! :laugh:
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I hate bands. I feel like I can't control my movements..... like I can't lift in a fluid manner. Hope that makes sense.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input. I am leaning towards dumb bells, but wanted to see what everyone had to say about bands before I made my big investment in dumb bells. Man are they expensive! But I know they will be worth the $$ in the end!