Back to school...what food to take?

Options
I’ve been really working on changing my eating habits this summer because I have come to realize how exercising & nutrition go hand in hand. I go to a really small school with one dining facility in which the food is often not of the best quality (everything is covered in butter & oil). The vegetables in the salad bar often look spoiled. They are also only open during limited hours, so it can be kind of hard to make it to meals. We can’t have refrigerators and can’t have cars. So grocery shopping is limited to the weekends.

My question is: Are there any non perishable food items you would recommend I take? Last year my food box consisted of cookies, candy, ramen, nutella, Goldfish, endless noodles, Chef Boyardee, pastries… all the stuff that probably attributed to my weight gain. Ideas are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Look for low fat, low carb, sugar free protein bars and powder to make shakes. Also, talk to the residence life staff and dining happ management about healthy choices. You aren't the only one who wants to eat healthy at school. Make the effort to get them to offer low fat options at each meal. Stir frays, grilled meat, fresh fruit, yogurt, etc. Get their attention. Make the change you want/need happen!
  • kenh14
    kenh14 Posts: 19
    Options
    Will definitely be stocking up on protein bars. Thank you for the suggestions! I don't think I've ever met anyone that had anything positive to say about the food, even alumni. They occasionally send out emails asking for suggestions, so I will def have to get in on that. It's not right to be left feeling sick after every meal.
  • susjan
    susjan Posts: 105
    Options
    Nuts (almonds, unsalted peanuts), trail mix, peanut butter, gronola bars (no fructose corn syrup... Kashi is a good brand), and maybe some 100 calorie snacks if you need the quick comfort food grab and go.

Like the other person who responded, I would really take up the fresh food veggies issue with someone in charge because that's at all accepable. You CANNOT be the only one looking to become more healthy!

Good luck!
  • ludeo
    ludeo Posts: 75
    Options
    hey so glad you posted this, ive just gone back to school as well and been struggling to decide what to take,i only have a course thats on two days so you take your food with you and there is a common room with mircowave toaster and stuff. anyway ive been taking museli bars and fruit like apples and bananas for breaks and sanwichs for lunch. im going to buy some nuts to take as well.
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    Jerky, though I know the sodium is high, what about some fruit that you dry yourself? Snack Wells peanut butter protien bars. Almond butter on whole grain bread. Canned fruit with no added sugar. Hope you get lots of suggestions. I think you need to start a group to work with your school for healthier options, and more access to fridges or other ways to get healthy food. Start your own food revolution!
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Instant oatmeal, protein shakes, low-sodium canned soups, organic nut butter on bread or bagels (as long as it is whole wheat). if you have a fridge you can keep fresh veggies, fruit, dips like hummus or salsa, spinach to make salads. :)

Edit: Just saw you can't have a refrigerator. Woops! Well, you can still eat the instant oatmeal and protein shakes if you put it in water. I'll try to think of some more and see what I can come up with! Oh, and some fruits and veggies don't need refrigerating, like bananas, apples, oranges, peaches, and tomatoes. .
  • SarahSosi
    SarahSosi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    i usually take slices of whole wheat toast with beef slices or tyrkey or whatever keeps me full , or low fat cheese or even beans!!!! and i take an apple with me ..coz i know we have ****ty food there i get only small stuff so that i don't go nuts :D
  • kenh14
    Options
    I will definitely be looking into buying these items. They are a step up from all the crud I was consuming last year. Love Kashi & beef jerky so will make sure to take those. Gotta make sure to take oatmeal too. The fruit they have out are usually apples, bananas, and pears, not much variety, but I'll work with it.

You'd think that since it's a military school they would want to provide us with healthier options, but that's not the way it works apparently. Having a fridge of some sort would make things so much easier, but I don't think that's gonna happen soon. We weren't allowed to have coffee machines or water heating devices till this past year. I'm gonna try to def. do something about the veggies bc it shouldn't just be two types of lettuce and tomatoes. I need my spinach! Again, thank you all for the suggestions so far!

I really wish they would provide us with the nutritional info too. It'd prob seem a little weird if I were to take measuring spoons & cups in there.
  • smarty3
    smarty3 Posts: 11
    Options
    I've been thinking about this too because I'll be going to school!
    I'm thinking nuts, soups, protien bars, and yogurt (although I can have a fridge)
    Also popcorn is a good, relatively low cal snack
  • kenh14
    Options
    Popcorn is a must! I've been reading about air popped popcorn, so it can't hurt to give that a try? Also, low cal hot chocolate would make a good alternative for when roommates are having the real thing. Umm...this threads got me thinking.
  • 19shann77
    19shann77 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm a professor, so I am kind of in the same boat with needing healthy and convenient stuff. Here are a few ideas:

-water! I usually bring a big plastic cup with a straw (the reusable kind) with water or iced coffee or Cyrstal Light made at home with me. Then, I also bring a big thing of water in an insualted sleeve (found them at Target) for later in the day.

-Nuts! I always keep different kinds of nuts in the office.

-peanut butter sandwiches on whole wheat.

-low carb wraps

-cut up red pepper strips and cut up cucumbers.

-Luna Fiber bars. I think these are kind of new. They are so good! And, they have 7 grams of fiber in each one. I think, like 120 calories.

-Kind bars! So yummy and healthy.

-fruit. I buy the bags of cut up apples, which are way overpriced, but they are so convenient. I like to dip them in chocolate PB2.

-as far as keeping stuff cold, Target has some really cool tupperware type things with ice packs in them. They have one where you can store your salad and dressing separately with a cold pack. Amazon has lots of this kind of stuff too.

Good luck! I know it's hard when you don't have a fridge. The things at Target really do work well though. At least at my Target, some of them are with the other tupperware, but some are back with like the sport water bottles and yoga stuff. They can be a little hard to find.

Oh, also, I just subscribed to Naturebox, after reading about it on a blog. They send you healthy snacks each month. I'm excited, because I think it will work so well for work.