Worried I'll put weight back on if...

Options
My diary is open.

People are telling me that I'm undereating calories and I know it's true. But if I start eating my full 1,200 calories a day (+ exercise calories?) am I going to put on the weight I've lost in the last week? Someone told me I might put on weight for a full month before losing it again!

What do I do?

Replies

• justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    honestly... I don't add my work outs here...

I may get flamed for this... but I don't eat back my exercise cals...

granted my cal limit for the day is 1750... so maybe a little high... but I don't care...

I am not starving... and I am not worried about "starvation mode"
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    You might in the beginning, but it will even out over time. Just stay off the scale for a month.
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    I'm eating ~900 calories a day, and exercising off at least 500, and I know for a fact that I will lose all my wind for this diet if I put all the weight back on...
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    That's way too few calories. You're going to seriously depress your metabolism while eating that way, plus you'll be hungry all the time and be much more likely to cheat.

Weight loss isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. You need to find something sustainable and 900cal/day is definitely not sustainable. If you look at this as a punishment for being overweight, you may lose some weight, but you'll put it right back on when you finish. You need to train yourself to eat healthy forever. If you want to keep the weight you lose off forever, you can't ever go back to eating the way you did.
  • becsnz1
    becsnz1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    ^^^ what kaervaak said.
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    The thing is I'm not hungry, so I'm having trouble. And whenever I eat more than 300 cal in a meal, I panic. Though to be honest part of the problem is, I think, that I live with a recovering-ish anorexic.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm eating ~900 calories a day, and exercising off at least 500, and I know for a fact that I will lose all my wind for this diet if I put all the weight back on...

I definitely think you need more cals than that...

I don't subscribe to the whole "eat less than 1200 cals and you will never lose weight" idea... but I do think that you need more than 400 net cals...

when you said you panic when you eat more than 300 cals in a meal... makes me think you might need to see a therapist... the thing with food is we need it to live... and we have to come to a point where we aren't panicking over food and what we put into our bodies... we have to eat to live... and you will eat for the rest of your life... no matter how much you have to lose... you have to eat

edited to add.... things didn't change in my head until I stopped thinking of this as a "diet" and started thinking of this as a "lifestyle"
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You wont lose weight at less than 1200-1300 per day after a while...trust me...you will see hunny...you will see.
  • Nan_
    Nan_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you're really happy that you lost the weight you're going to be real upset soon, because losing weight will become really difficult because you're just not eating enough calories. Your metabolism will begin to slow down and your body will fight to keep every calorie that you want to burn. Your body NEEDS food to function properly and to be healthy and you're not giving it enough between the amount that you're eating and exercising off.

If you're living with someone who is recovering from an eating disorder I imagine that you want to set an example for them, not become a victim yourself, right?

Let MFP set whatever calories you are supposed to eat each week, and EAT them! You will lose weight. It may take a bit longer but you will lose more weight doing it that way than doing it the way you're doing now. It will be healthier too.

As for not feeling hungry, your stomach has probably shrunk a bit because you're not eating enough. Once you force yourself to eat the normal amount of calories that you should be eating in order to lose weight, your stomach will stretch out a bit.

You can do this the right way! So what if you put a few pounds on again if it means that you will actually lose more in the end? Don't let it bother you. You didn't put that weight on overnight and you won't lose it overnight either, but you WILL lose it! Just be patient! :0)