Breakfast help!

Options
Hi....I have recently gotten rid of bread from my diet, and I am having trouble on breakfast. I am trying to watch my sugar intake in the morning. I know that milk is pretty much filled with it, and if you combine it with a few servings of cereal, you have already hit the home stretch in the sugar column, and it is only 7am.
I do like to have some eggs, turkey sausage or bacon, and then maybe some orange slices. I stopped eating boxes pancakes. What are some other good breakfast ideas so that I can stray away from packing on the breakfast sugars, but still have good energy for the day? Should I abandon milk? I am trying to stay under 700 calories.

Replies

• ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hi....I have recently gotten rid of bread from my diet, and I am having trouble on breakfast. I am trying to watch my sugar intake in the morning. I know that milk is pretty much filled with it, and if you combine it with a few servings of cereal, you have already hit the home stretch in the sugar column, and it is only 7am.
    I do like to have some eggs, turkey sausage or bacon, and then maybe some orange slices. I stopped eating boxes pancakes. What are some other good breakfast ideas so that I can stray away from packing on the breakfast sugars, but still have good energy for the day? Should I abandon milk? I am trying to stay under 700 calories.

700 calories for breakfast alone? I hope its not the day dude. Consider adding oatmeal to your diet, half a cup won't hurt you.
    For breakfast there are times that I just drink whey or just have a nice full breakfast with oatmeal and protein from eggs or meat. Then add low fat cheese, and steak.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Unless you have problems with dairy, I wouldn't really worry about milk. It's great for you nutritionally. If you really don't want it, try out soy milk or almond milk, etc. It's a good replacement. I love using just milk and cereal with fruits for breakfast. Or oatmeal.

But I would also suggest eggs. Don't be afraid of breads. A single english muffin is what, 110 calories? I buy the low-cal breads that are 45 cals. per slice. You can check those out too.

700 cals for breakfast is a lot of room to work with
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options
    Unless you have problems with dairy, I wouldn't really worry about milk. It's great for you nutritionally. If you really don't want it, try out soy milk or almond milk, etc. It's a good replacement. I love using just milk and cereal with fruits for breakfast. Or oatmeal.

But I would also suggest eggs. Don't be afraid of breads. A single english muffin is what, 110 calories? I buy the low-cal breads that are 45 cals. per slice. You can check those out too.

I use soy milk cause regular milk just wrecks havoc lol.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    muesli yoghurt fruit
    scrambled eggs and fruit
    boiled eggs and fruit
    leftovers from the night before - why not?
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is blueberries and sliced strawberries sprinkled with stevia. I mix it with about 2-3 tablespoons of reduced fat sour cream and sprinkle my favorite granola or sliced almonds over the top. It tastes like a dessert, but it is filling and healthy.
  • erinleigh76
    Options
    smoothies
  • ndempsey
    ndempsey Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes! Yes! Hooorah for SMOOTHIES! And not just any kind of smoothie but GREEN smoothies. Sound gross? Well listen up - these are AH-Mazing. Simple ....just add fresh, baby spinich leaves to any fruit smoothie. The leaves are sweet and very mild so you don't even know they are there - and what a nutritional bump! Fiber, iron, etc. etc, etc. As for the rest of the smoothie I mix it up....always a small banana, then blueberries, strawberries, nectarines. If I want it super cold, I add ice or use frozen fruit. For liquid I use milk, water, low sugar juice, soy mile, almand milk, rice milk. If I need more protien I add half cup of Fage nonfat yogurt - it's got like double the protien of regular yogurt. GO GREEN MY FRIENDS! At 300 calories or less, you can still have an egg white omelet with a a couple TB shreded cheese and salsa, or that half cup of oatmeal the others suggest.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options

Yeah, the sugar in milk is natural. It's the added sugars in cereals and such that you should be more worried about. I have oatmeal with almond butter and fruit for breakfast basically every day and it's filling. Eggs are awesome, but since I'm vegan I personally don't eat them.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Microwave some oatmeal, stir in some plain Greek yogurt for protein, top it with fresh blueberries, peaches, bananas - whatever ya got, a handful of walnuts, and a drizzle of honey. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon with the peaches and it tastes like dessert.
  • j_wilson2012
    j_wilson2012 Posts: 293
    Options
    So it seems like I should try to move away from the cold cereal, move to the hot cereal, and get a blender. I like the oatmeal ideas. There are so many things that can be done there. One guy I talked to mentioned making oatmeal pancakes. It is a good way to work with fruit. I am kind of bummed out because I cant eat bananas---they give me too much gas. I like these ideas!
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    TRY UNSWEETENED ORGANIC SOY MILK N DA TURQUOISE
    CARTON. I BOUGHT SUM LAST NITE.I USUALLY JUX BUY DA
    ORIGINAL BT DECIDED 2TRY DIS ONE. ITZ 80CALS, 4CARBS,
    1SUGAR, 7PROTEIN. I POURED SUM OVER FIBER ONE ORIGINAL
    FA A LATE SNACK
  • CSO200
    CSO200 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try overnight oatmeal:
    1/4 cup old fashioned oatmeal, 1/4 cup fat free greek yogurt, 1/3 cup any kind of milk (I like coconut), 1 tablespoon chia or flax seeds, shake it up, then add 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped fruit. Put in fridge overnight and in the morning just grab your spoon! This morning I had one with coconut milk and pineapple! Yum...just like pina colada oatmeal!:smile:
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options
    So it seems like I should try to move away from the cold cereal, move to the hot cereal, and get a blender. I like the oatmeal ideas. There are so many things that can be done there. One guy I talked to mentioned making oatmeal pancakes. It is a good way to work with fruit. I am kind of bummed out because I cant eat bananas---they give me too much gas. I like these ideas!

Not sure about oatmeal pancakes but you can try it. Just be aware of what you put in your food lol. A certain level of sugar is acceptable. I personally look at low glycemic foods and try to keep it that way that is why oatmeal is great. You don't have to have oatmeal just for breakfast but it is a good substitute to brown rice if you hate brown rice.
  • rubyiu
    rubyiu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My go-to has been a whole wheat English muffin with laughing cow light swiss cheese. It spreads on like cream cheese, very good! You could add more protein like an egg white, but it does have a good amount. I'm a vegetarian and it works well for me!
  • j_wilson2012
    j_wilson2012 Posts: 293
    Options
    My go-to has been a whole wheat English muffin with laughing cow light swiss cheese. It spreads on like cream cheese, very good! You could add more protein like an egg white, but it does have a good amount. I'm a vegetarian and it works well for me!

Just one? :ohwell:
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Egg muffins. Go here for recipes. http://www.kalynskitchen.com/
  • Nikkers25
    Nikkers25 Posts: 7
    Options
    Whole Wheat or Low Carb Tortillas (My new favorites are Santa Fe Whole Wheat, only 100 calories and 13g Carbs)
    Scrambled eggs (Should be more whites than whole)
    Jennie O Extra Lean turkey bacon or Fit n Active Turkey bacon (Aldis)
    Kraft Cheese Fat Free Slice
    2 TBSP Salsa
    = Breakfast Burrito!

Also, replace the milk with almond milk. I stick with Unsweetened but Sweetened or Flavored is not that bad.

Oatmeal with 2TBSP of Peanut Butter & Cup of Berries

Also, Kashi has some great waffles as well, add with brummel & Brown yogurt butter & Hungry Jack Lite Syrup!

Hope this helps!
  • chrissyn_2005
    chrissyn_2005 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Usually I have an egg white substitue omelet! I like to fill it with veggies, cauliflower in the egg then stuff some spinach, onion and a sprinkle of cheese over the top. Very low in calories and adding in the veggies make it yummy and tastey! Fills you up to. I add in fruit, half a peach is very easy and yummy for me. And I am a water-holic. Can't seem to ever get enough so I just drink water with it. Voila, my breakfast! Low carb and filling.
  • Cjoseph03
    Cjoseph03 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    One of my faves is an Egg Quesadilla. Very easy to cook and tasty! I hate the taste of eggs but love these. There is a cute video on how here: http://weelicious.com/ Egg, cheese, tortilla. Then you add anything you want ontop. I like to add fat free sour cream...Delish! Also, I use the large tortilla and cut the quesadilla in half. I put the other half in the fridge and then heat it up on the toaster oven and it's just as good and crunchy.
    Overnight Oatmeal is also an awesome choice. I love mine with fruit and cinnamon. With most fruit, I don't even need to add sugar/stevia.
  • DfantaBeneFIT
    Options
    Here's my recipe for egg muffins i posted yesterday

breakfast "muffin"
    Carb-less too!

grease muffin tin
    crack one egg in each tin
    sprinkle loose turkey sausage (about 2oz) in each
    top with 1 oz cheese

bake at 350 for about 10 - 15 minutes

let cool and pop them out! keep them in the fridge. Grab and GO!!! When i'm eating carbs i'll throw in some oats with cinnamon!