Can't meet my calories!

Options

Replies

• basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Dani, I never eat back my exercize calories! If your aren't hungry dont eat!!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    A lot of people gain weight because of what they eat, not necessarily the amount. .

sorry, not true. it is the amount of calories not the source of calories that causes weight gain.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand this problem. How do you get overweight to begin with if you are stuffed and unable to eat anymore than 1200 calories a day? I am not being snotty, I sincerely am confused by this.

Well this is rude.

I, too, have struggled to meet my calorie goal multiple times.

A lot of people gain weight because of what they eat, not necessarily the amount. Such as, I can eat an entire bag of chips if I want, and that'll be nearly 1000 calories. I don't do that, but I could if I wanted to. However, when you make healthier choices, especially when it comes to vegetables, you're eating far more with way less calories. I, as an example, love asparagus, and 100grams of asparagus is still only around 30cals.

So when I eat asparagus, I'm eating around 200g, which is about 60cals, and I'm full. Whereas if I ate 200g of my favourite chips, I would max out my cals for the day in one go. So. that's how people get fat. Wrong choices and all.

I eat your so called healthy choice every day and am currently consuming 3200-3400 calories a day and am by no means stuffed... This isn't a rude statement at all... When I was at my heaviest I was eating 8000+ calories a day, I to find it very hard to believe anyone that was overweight can have any trouble eating 1200 calories a day.. 2 Tbps. of Peanut butter in itself has a couple hundred calories...
  • ajleo61
    ajleo61 Posts: 3
    Options
    I am struggling to eat my calories too, but then I am trying to eat 2200 calories as the site says this is what I need to eat to get to my desired weight before end of August.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Well this is rude.

I, too, have struggled to meet my calorie goal multiple times.

A lot of people gain weight because of what they eat, not necessarily the amount. Such as, I can eat an entire bag of chips if I want, and that'll be nearly 1000 calories. I don't do that, but I could if I wanted to. However, when you make healthier choices, especially when it comes to vegetables, you're eating far more with way less calories. I, as an example, love asparagus, and 100grams of asparagus is still only around 30cals.

So when I eat asparagus, I'm eating around 200g, which is about 60cals, and I'm full. Whereas if I ate 200g of my favourite chips, I would max out my cals for the day in one go. So. that's how people get fat. Wrong choices and all.

Eating 200 grams of asparagus and feeling full on 60 cals is as unhealthy as eating 1000 calories worth of chips. If healthy eating habits is a concern, that is. Instead you can have 50 grams of asparagus, 100 grams of beans and 125 grams of lean meat at around 250-300 calories easy with around 25 grams of protein and 15 grams of carbs + fats from olive oil or any healthy one of your choice.

If you're stuffing yourself with cellulose and complaining about feeling full, then people have the right to criticize.
  • 2raj
    2raj Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am too confused! I'll love to be full and be under my goal. I can eat a huge bawl of salad and be full, but I know in an hour I'll feel like eating something. I have to eat protein to feel full for a good 3-4 hours. Carbohydrates and fatty food (or even veggies and fruit) won't help me much.

Often I have to go out and exercise so I can just eat a couple of hundred calories.

If you are not hungry, don't eat. You are lucky.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand this problem. How do you get overweight to begin with if you are stuffed and unable to eat anymore than 1200 calories a day? I am not being snotty, I sincerely am confused by this.

You're appetite changes with your diet, that's how. When a person eats alot their appetite will accustom to that, allowing the person not to get full as easy, as you diet your appetite then accustoms to that, having the person get full easier. Also the types of food have changed, the person may be eating more low cal but fiber dense foods which will make a person get full easier. What you have to remember is the person wasn't watching what they ate before when overweight, that is how the person became overweight so the person having been overweight is a mute point.
  • bigchee419
    bigchee419 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Dani, You don't want to eat back your exercise calories. The exercise will give you a greater calorie deficit and that's what you want. By the way, you need to eat breakfast!!!!!

Please don't listen to this advice.

Why not? Thats exactly what you need to do to burn fat. Fat is lost by burning more calories then you eat in a day.
  • SherriLibrarian
    Options
    How do you calculate your exercise calories? Several have mentioned that the lists here overestimate calories burned for many of us. That is why so many use heart rate monitors.
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hmmm what are you eating? rocks??? Try nuts or a granola bar or yogurt or fruit, none of these are extremely filling but will add calories.
  • swat1948
    Options
    Really I do not have that problem at all lol
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Hi Dani, You don't want to eat back your exercise calories. The exercise will give you a greater calorie deficit and that's what you want. By the way, you need to eat breakfast!!!!!

BAD ADVICE!!!!
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Why not? Thats exactly what you need to do to burn fat. Fat is lost by burning more calories then you eat in a day.

Suppose I'm on a 1400 cal diet and I workout 6x doing cardio totalling up to 1000 cals each session (let's say cycling with HRM). In the long run I'll be living on 400 cals on average with the exception of rest days and it's not something you'd like to venture in.

As for the second part, no, breakfast isn't something necessary.
  • swat1948
    Options
    I mostly use a stationary bike that calculates calories burned, how far I have gone and my pulse...
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options

No, you will lose muscle and bone. We want to hang onto those. Fuel your body.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

You're appetite changes with your diet, that's how. When a person eats alot their appetite will accustom to that, allowing the person not to get full as easy, as you diet your appetite then accustoms to that, having the person get full easier. Also the types of food have changed, the person may be eating more low cal but fiber dense foods which will make a person get full easier. What you have to remember is the person wasn't watching what they ate before when overweight, that is how the person became overweight so the person having been overweight is a mute point.

Really??? I have lost 310 lbs. and yesterday for breakfast I ate 4 eggs over easy, Home fries, 3 pc. of bacon, 2 pcs. of Thick cut Wheat toast, 3 cups of coffee, 1 glass of chocolate milk, 4 pcs. of cinnamon raisin french toast with hot maple syrup and can tell you I was by no means stuffed... (To be fair I make this point that your appetite doesn't change that much even after losing alot of weight but this meal was intentional do to a 3 hour/ 10.5 mile Hike yesterday) If I did not have discipline I could easily eat at the same quantity level I ate at when I weighed 560 lbs. The man point is balance in your choices, those eating just large salads and complaining about not being able to meet there calorie goals need to balance that meal out with a chicken breast or lean meats, some brown rice or even a potato of some sort, or work in some good fats like avacado's and whatnot..
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

wrong, but thanks for playing!!

LmfTFhrQbUWxL7aWTgJIAg2.gif
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

This is absolutely wrong. You will lose fat by eating under your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). Research bmr and tdee before doling out bad advice. If you exercise off more calories than you consume your body will not burn fat, as fat is not fuel. Your body will go after muscle and bones, as that is where nutrients are to sustain life. Do some research before giving bad advice.

To OP please remember that the people you are currently giving advice to are NOT medical people. They are people just like you that are not trained in body sciences and are only going based on the bad advice they also were given in these damn forums.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Suppose I'm on a 1400 cal diet and I workout 6x doing cardio totalling up to 1000 cals each session (let's say cycling with HRM). In the long run I'll be living on 400 cals on average with the exception of rest days and it's not something you'd like to venture in.

You forgot the fat off your body that's used to fill the calorie gap. You'll be using say 1800 to live plus 1000 of exercise = 2800 total - 1400 of food and 1400 of fat. That's a big deficit to be sure, and would need about 50 lbs of excess fat reserves to supply it, but will work for heavier people.
    If you exercise off more calories than you consume your body will not burn fat, as fat is not fuel. Your body will go after muscle and bones, as that is where nutrients are to sustain life. Do some research before giving bad advice.

So bone is fuel ? The 9 calories per gram of fat aren't fuel ? Weird.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

This is absolutely wrong. You will lose fat by eating under your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). Research bmr and tdee before doling out bad advice. If you exercise off more calories than you consume your body will not burn fat, as fat is not fuel. Your body will go after muscle and bones, as that is where nutrients are to sustain life. Do some research before giving bad advice.

To OP please remember that the people you are currently giving advice to are NOT medical people. They are people just like you that are not trained in body sciences and are only going based on the bad advice they also were given in these damn forums.

lol. fat is totally a fuel.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2012/06/nutrition/inside-triathlon-magazine-fat-burning-machine_31034