How important in water?

Options
Have to admit that the water goal each day is getting me down and I don't even come close to making it. So how important is the water goal each day?

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It is important to stay hydrated - your body needs water for lots and lots of different functions. The goal suggested by MFP is just a general recommendation and might not apply to everyone - it depends on different variables like what climate you live in and how active you are. If your urine is a pale straw colour then you're probably not dehydrated. If it's dark in colour, you should probably try to drink more.

It doesn't have to be plain water though. Your body can just as easily use the water that is part of other fluids, including decaffeinated tea. (The caffeine does not dehydrate you enough to negate the hydration from the water in the same drink). So, if you're struggling with plain water, but drink plenty of other drinks, then that's ok. I get my water from plain water, tea, fruit/herbal teas, milk and nut milks.
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    For me it makes all the difference. I retain water very easily, and if I don't drink enough or eat too much sodium my weight can go up by 3 to 5 pounds.

Now, there are different opinions on this, but if you don't like drinking water you can drink (and count) other liquids as well. Herbal teas, water with a few slices of fruit, water with a little bit of fruit juice, water with some flavoring, milk, tea and coffee, and so on.
    The only thing I wouldn't count is anything with sugar or alcohol.

I started by drinking herbal teas and water with a drop of Ribena (sugar free version) and now I drink about 10-13 glasses of plain water a day because I got used to it.
  • mjnov
    mjnov Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i thought it was hard too! but water is so important to your body, so you should try to make it a priority.

to help me, i bought a large 32 oz water bottle that helped me keep track of the exact amount of water i was drinking per day. i made it my goal to have at least two full water bottles a day (8oz = 1cup, 64 oz = 8 cups). before i knew it, i was getting more than enough water.

it also helped me to add lemon juice to my water, makes it taste better and curbs that juice craving.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Probably just as important as eating healthy...

If you are not hydrated properly, a couple of things happen- it is harder to eliminate all the toxins from your body, so they stay in your tissue longer and can cause a multitude of problems long term. Your body will recognize this and retain a lot of the water you do drink, so you gain weight.

Get a bottle and drink the water, it is really good for you to do this. 8 cups is only half a gallon...

I add Mi0 ti mine or I drink iced tea, pure water is good too- gotta drink it if you expect to benefit from a healthy lifestyle later!
  • tas3980
    tas3980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's very important..! I went from not being able to drink it (physcological thing from contracting a water borne virus a few years back), to adding no added preservatives/no sugar cordial to it and now I am able to drink it "straight". Although some days, I do struggle to reach the recommended daily intake but the next day, I just try to do better.
  • Adara13
    Adara13 Posts: 50
    Options
    Thank all for the replys! I drink a lot do the, Rooibos and fruit tea's. But from what I am reading I will have to make a bigger effort!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I didn't drink a lot....until I ended up with a 14mm kidney stone 13 months ago. Apparently it was caused by chronic dehydration :( Now I drink an average of 3-4 liters a day...
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I find my water intake really easy to hit.. This is because I drink like a camel on a hot day. I can easily drink 3 -4 L a day and drink as much as I can handle. If you are worried you are getting too little then assess why you dont drink enough (little time, dont like the taste, ect). I know putting some lemon juice in my water makes it taste better. Great suggestions here about drinking teas and other drinks. Every drop counts.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I truly believe many health issues comes from chronic dehydration that most ppl dont know they have. At home when my kids complain about small issues I will often ask if theyve drank a lot of water yet today and that includes complaints of : head ache, muscle ache, fatigue, sore throat, constipation, and even digestive issues. A tall glass of water often fixes these issues as often its lack of water that brought them on.

Its great for your skin- keeps you full in between meals and is what your body is mostly made of - it should be the main drink of your day.

No other drink should be for thirst quenching- not soda, or tea- those are foods (treats) if there are calories- I dont count drinks as a drink- its food to my body. Water is necessary- soda/juice/etc are not. By the time you feel thirsty you are already partially dehydrated. Sometimes we mistake hunger for thirst. If we all drank the 8 glasses a day - some of that noise would go away- and we'd all be better for it in so many ways.

Water isnt just important- its absolutely necessary- every single day - in large quantities. - shouldnt be a goal- should be a way of life getting 64oz min. a day.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    water is important, keep a bottle with you all the time, that way u can see exactly how much u are drinking, and since it's right there, u will find yourself reaching for it without even thinking about it
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Drinking is important. It doesn't have to be water. I only drink water when exercising, and get the rest of my fluids from tea and peppermint tea.
  • sana66
    sana66 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    wow its great that u all drink soo much water...my problem is rushing to the loo within 5 minutes of drinking a whole glass ov water..lol...v irriating,,does that mean my body isnt using/needing the water?
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It is important to stay hydrated - your body needs water for lots and lots of different functions. The goal suggested by MFP is just a general recommendation and might not apply to everyone - it depends on different variables like what climate you live in and how active you are. If your urine is a pale straw colour then you're probably not dehydrated. If it's dark in colour, you should probably try to drink more.

It doesn't have to be plain water though. Your body can just as easily use the water that is part of other fluids, including decaffeinated tea. (The caffeine does not dehydrate you enough to negate the hydration from the water in the same drink). So, if you're struggling with plain water, but drink plenty of other drinks, then that's ok. I get my water from plain water, tea, fruit/herbal teas, milk and nut milks.
    This.
  • Fasbold
    Fasbold Posts: 29
    Options
    Good topic and great advice! Water keeps things working and moving like they should - general health & fitness; and water helps us with our weight loss goals. Listen and watch the signals from your body to know if you are getting enough.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I truly believe many health issues comes from chronic dehydration that most ppl dont know they have. At home when my kids complain about small issues I will often ask if theyve drank a lot of water yet today and that includes complaints of : head ache, muscle ache, fatigue, sore throat, constipation, and even digestive issues. A tall glass of water often fixes these issues as often its lack of water that brought them on.

Its great for your skin- keeps you full in between meals and is what your body is mostly made of - it should be the main drink of your day.

No other drink should be for thirst quenching- not soda, or tea- those are foods (treats) if there are calories- I dont count drinks as a drink- its food to my body. Water is necessary- soda/juice/etc are not.

Whether you count other drinks as water or not has no effect on whether or not your body can use the water in those drinks. No one is saying that soda or juice are necessary for good health, or that they don't have other reasons that you might not want to drink them. The body can still use them for hydration though. If some sugar or sweetener is added to water, the water is still there.
  • slim104
    slim104 Posts: 160
    Options
    wow its great that u all drink soo much water...my problem is rushing to the loo within 5 minutes of drinking a whole glass ov water..lol...v irriating,,does that mean my body isnt using/needing the water?

I'm interested to hear the answer to this question. I drink about 3 litres a day and am always popping to the loo.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Have to admit that the water goal each day is getting me down and I don't even come close to making it. So how important is the water goal each day?

Just drink more?

I'm not sure what you want people to say to you on this?
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jenheath4.htm

this article explains how water aids in burning fat, it has to do with organ function.
  • Adara13
    Adara13 Posts: 50
    Options
    Elcollins, For me the biggest question was can I get away by not drinking so much water. I am sorry if I didn't put it in the correct wording for you to quite understand it,

I drink about 4 cups of coffee a day and arouse 2 cups of tea with honey. But water self.... Not unless it snows or rains or some major even takes place.
  • monianderson
    Options
    you could also drink crystal light. every now and again when im really craving the flavor of juice but know i kneed to drink water i grab a water bottle and just add a to go packet. one packet helps me drink almost two bottles. they have a wide verity of flavors and boosters. there is even a green tea one.