For all the people who have successfully made it...

Options
I wanna know how you did it :) I've struggled with weight all my life and I know my problem is that I dont stick to it!

What major changes did you make in your life?
Did you head to the gym to burn all those calories?
Did you take up running?
Did weights work best for you?

Theres probably been a lot of posts like this but I cant seem to find any so thought I'd add one :)

Really looking forward to hearing how you guys made it :) Blood sweat and tears I'm sure! I've had all three so far and I'm only beginning lol

Replies

• kimberlygo
    Options

I just made a commitment to being committed this time. Eating well is not that hard if you're committed to the process and not just to eating well if that makes sense

Yes 6X a week

Did you take up running?
    Yes, but started with walking on an incline

I didn't lift weights
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    By not being on a diet. If you're on a diet, you'll eventually quit it. If you change your life, and start eating the amount of food needed for the weight you want to be, you'll get there.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I finally got it through my head that losing weight is a long, slow process. Results happen over time not overnight. I don't get discouraged if I go off track for a day. I just make a U-TURN (YOU-turn) and get right back on the path to success.

Counting calories on MFP has definitely made the biggest difference. It keeps me accountable. It's amazing how many calories you eat/drink and don't even realize it.

I started on the treadmill walking, then running. Now I run 3 miles about once or twice a week. The other days I do a video that is either circuit training (Jillian Michaels), kickboxing, or strength training. I have lost 20 pounds and I have 4 pounds to go :)
  • VVEXVVEX
    VVEXVVEX Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I know my problem is that I dont stick to it!

Been there. The difference for me this time is a "no excuses" attitude. I own this, and it's my fault if it doesn't work.

So I do these three things now: 1. Measure and count calories; 2. Exercise 5 times a week (two cardio, three circuit); 3. Enjoy (not whine about) a process that is making me healthier and happier.

Everything else is the small stuff.

Good luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What made this work for me was that I didn't make any HUGE changes. Not all at once, anyway. My eating habits weren't great, but they weren't that bad. Adding exercise to the mix was the biggest thing, and really watching what I ate, not so much to make sure I stayed under as to make sure I got the right nutrition.

But I think trying to make a HUGE change was where I went wrong every other time. I went from eating whatever I wanted to starving myself. And eating too few of calories, I had slow progress and felt like crap.

This time around, it was more about getting fit and strong and healthy, because I already assumed that I wouldn't lose weight. So I started running using the couch to 5k plan, and worked my way up to running 10k from there.

If you look at it from last year to this year, I made huge changes. But I didn't start out running 6 miles a day or paying this much attention to getting enough protein and stuff like that.

That would be my advice. Make small, easy to live with changes, and add new changes when the old ones become habit. Know you're working in the right direction, and don't be in too big of a hurry. You'll get there, even if you have to make a few detours along the way.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    I ma very close to my goal and feel better than ever, so I think it's OK to respond to this :)

I started making small changes over time in the way I eat and how much I move. I liked the way I felt and kept up with it. Over time, those small changes added up to major ones. For me it's not an all or nothing process. I can go to parties, I can eat treats, pizza, chocolate, I do not deprive my self of anything - I just eat a lot smarter now.

Kickboxing twice a week, yoga every day

Did you take up running?
    Yes. Started, by walking, then walking on an incline, then speed walking and now running.

The only weight I lift is my own (push ups, pull ups, squats, lunges, some of the arm balances in yoga are pretty intense as yoou have lift and hold your entire body on the strength and power of your arms and shoulders)
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I wasn't finding much success with anything I have tried.

So on 9/21/10 I had gastric by-pass surgery. I have since lost 125 lbs. It was the tool I needed to get my food addictions, and emotional eating under control. I have learned that I need to exercise every day and watch portion control.

There are many on here who have lost significant amounts of weight without using weight loss surgery. They have amazing will power and motivation.

I think the key is just trying to find out what works best for you. Just remember it takes time. Take measurements because the scale doesn't always reflect a loss when you notice your clothes are fitting differently. Logging everything you taste, even if it's a nibble of cheese counts. Being aware of what you consume is very important.

Best Wishes~Rhonda
  • Sooznine
    Sooznine Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i don't know about successfully made as i am still looking to lose about 10-12 more, but to lose the first 44, i:
    1. did the 30 day shred for... 30 days. no skipping. period. this then led to establishing an EVERY day exercise routine. i fully intend to devote 45-60(+) minutes per day to doing something. Only ~10 days since 4/18 have i not been able to do that.
    2. decided to cut out the pop. even diet was not helping me any... it's ALL WATER. and lots of it.
    3. tracked EVERY day, even the bad ones.... i'm up to 190+ days in a row.
    4. started running. it's not for everyone, but it helps me b/c i've set goals and it helps to burn a lot more calories in a shorter amount of time.
    5. no excuses.... if i let myself off the hook, who do i fail? you? nope, ME. If i want this, i have to do it. NO ONE can make me but me.

Good luck!
  • Fit4sure
    Fit4sure Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You already know really.

I lost 120 lbs...kept it off for over 5 years. Lost it in 19 months...while enrolled in a weight loss program that helped open my eyes without telling me what to eat. (Weight Watchers) It boiled down to:

1. Awareness (track, track, track and count that food...calories or "points plus"...doesn't matter.

2. Stick with it.

3. Move a little more doing something you like (for me it's walking).

I couldn't walk much at first but as I lost weight it just felt good and I did more and more.

I tracked diligently, choosing healthier and healthier options over time but still "splurging" on treats on occasion (avoid deprivation like the plague). I carried a paper tracker with me everywhere and wrote EVERYTHING I stuck in my mouth down on that tracker and counted it!

And don't stop...even after a successful loss...you make it your lifestyle choice rather than a "diet" and enjoy it and stick with it like a "hair in a biscuit". I didn't go and reward myself with a candy bar or splurge binge meal every time I lost a couple of pounds...would have been counter-productive.

The tracker here on myfitnesspal is awesome and an ideal way to keep track of your food choices and exercise. Make it your new best friend...your new hobby becomes...YOU!
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I wanna know how you did it :) I've struggled with weight all my life and I know my problem is that I dont stick to it!

Did you take up running?

Theres probably been a lot of posts like this but I cant seem to find any so thought I'd add one :)

Really looking forward to hearing how you guys made it :) Blood sweat and tears I'm sure! I've had all three so far and I'm only beginning lol

I have always struggled too but today I reached 90lb off! It can be done, but you have to have determination. My trigger was my daughter said i was the fattest mammy in class. I think knowing you motivation - writing them down is key - why are you doing it - put it on the wall in a spot you pass everyday. The changes I made were exercising 5 times a week, and doing lots of cardio couped with weights to avoid spare skin at the end. I started eating breakfast and snacks and not binging when I got in from work as a result. I don't run other than during a circuits class - classes are another huge motivator for me - I was the biggest there and now I am not - but i help those who are and have a fab social life and go out with people from the gym regularly. Gym nights out are awesome! The girls (and boys) I train with know the struggle and have become my tightest friends and a really positive influence as they have similar goals. The best thing I can say is stay focused and when you **** up and your bound to don't dwell on the negative but channel the bad things to do good. Pick yourself up and move on. Also know that you can do it, YOU, Me everyone can if they really want it and stick at it. Hope you do great I am sure you can. Add me if you like :)
  • maverick48
    maverick48 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 65lbs and gone from wearing 46" pants to 34". And I'd tried losing weight before and failed and gained it back. What helped me succeed the most was the right motivation. I decided I wanted to join the military, and though I lost the weight, never actually joined. Another big thing for me was getting past the idea that I had to eat "healthy" and I could never cheat. Instead, I embraced cheating (occasionally) and eating "unhealthy" food as long as I kept my calorie intake in check. And I never "stopped" my diet, I failed on occasion, but I kept recommitting myself when I had a bad day. And I did go to the gym and lifted weights. I firmly believe, man or woman you can lose much more weight by doing resistance training either exclusively or in addition to cardio. Resistance training builds muscle, muscle raises your metabolism. And while cardio can raise your metabolism for a short time during and after your work out, resistance training raises your metabolism for up to 48 hours after your work out.
  • babbs23
    babbs23 Posts: 11
    Options
    What motivated me was seeing family members die or become disabled at a fairly young age. I told my 22 year old son that if I was ever debilitated like that, he should just take me out back and shoot me. He looked at me and said, "No way , mom! That's on you!" And he was right. Not fair to make my kids responsible for my health as I age unless I have done all I can to maintain my health when I could. So I got started. And I some point, I finally made myself and my needs (and health) a priority, and stopped feeling guilty about it.

I started walking and tried the C25K program but my knees didn't care for running at all so just stuck to walking. I started at 1200 calories but hit a plateau at 38 lbs lost. So I contacted my sister, who had made a committment to her health18 months earlier and now had a hot rockin' body, and the first thing she did was increase my calories then put me on a home weight training program, Chalen Extreme. I have been doing that for 11 weeks now and have lost an additional 24 pounds and 14.25 inches total from my waist, hips, thighs and arms and have muscle definition and tone I have never had before, even when I was in the Army. I am now eating 1600 calories a day with a 40/40/20 split of carbs/protein and fat grams. My muscles need energy to grow stronger, burn fat, and make me leaner, so that is why I am feeding them. I also eat clean, meaning few processed foods, most everything very fresh and natural...and I shop at my local grocer, not an expensive specialty store. Food is yummy, I am NEVER hungry cause I eat all day, and I feel great...full of energy. I have gone from a size 20 to a 10. And most important, I no longer live to eat but I eat in order to live!!!!

Hope this helps!!!!
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I had a gastric lap band put in in April this year and going through the decision making process made me really assess where I was and where I didn't want to be in my life. To avoid getting where I didn't want to be, I had to choose a different destination and take a different journey.

All was going well but still very hard work, then I heard a speaker who said you can have excuses or you can have results but you can't have both. That really hit home with me so I have chosen results. It has given me a whole new mindset where excuses don't even come into the equation. And to think, he was talking about business!
  • crafterpaula
    crafterpaula Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    hi i have finally made it ive been trying to lose weight for at least 25 yrs and i did only to gain it back in the end, well this time it is forever; I did it ;I succeeded ,ive lost 98 lbs and I am on my last 6 pounds ,. i think for me its been the intensity of my exersize I used to exersize but not enough or for long enough now I spend 6 to 7 days a wk at the gym and do 60 to 3hrs daily. I try to burn at least 500 to 1000 calories while i'm there plus do weights, I had a trainer for a yr and he helped me alot but now i am on my own and i am doing great! as far as my eating i graze all day I eat at least 6 to 7 times aday! i feel great and for the first time in my life I am enjoying buying clothes! WHEN YOU MAKE UP YOUR MIND THAT THIS IS THE DAY YOU WILL SUCCEED i PROMISE!!!!
  • crafterpaula
    Options
    well I am doing ok but ots been tough if it wasn't for exersize i'd never keep this weight off!
  • crafterpaula
    Options
    i am happy to say as of august, Ive kept my weight off for a year! yeahoooooooooooo!:smile:
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've had issues with my weight for about the past 10 years. All my life, I was always a healthy weight and was into sports. Then, once I had my son, I had about 15-20lbs of extra weight and then continued to add about 5-10bs a year after that by not eating well and being sedentary. I decided last summer that enough was enough and here I am, one year later and only a few pounds heavier than my pre-pregnancy/early 20's weight.

-I started eating more food and more regularly (I wouldn't eat much throughout the day and then carb overload at night) and became physically active again (working out at least 5X/week).

-Nope. I bought a treadmill and walked away the first 60lbs. I now run and I also picked up biking recently as well.

Did you take up running?
    -I did, but not until I was only about 10-15lbs overweight because it was too hard on my knees otherwise (despite the fact that I used to be a cross-country runner). I tried when I was heavier and it did not work.

-Confession time: I'm lax in the weights department. I go on little kicks where I'll incorporate kettlebells into my routine, but I'm a cardio junkie. With that being said, I will fully admit that while I'm glad that I hit my goal weight, I'm no where as toned as I should be and the lack of weight training has been my downfall.