C25K-- how did you deal with pain?

Options

Replies

• brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    mostly in my lower legs, shin splints or outer shin area (sorry I don't know the proper names!).

Shin splints usually mean you are wearing the wrong kind of running shoes for you. Start with a good pair of shoes, or at the very least, a good pair of orthotics to go in your current ones.

Also, runnersworld.com has a Shoe Finder page that is really useful. You enter height, weight, level, arch, stride, etc, and they will give you a listing of about 5 brands of running shoes that all suit your type.
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    check out your running clubs in the area. see if you can dig up a phone number for the club and tell them you are new and need advice on local running stores, ect. they will likely point you in the right direction.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be in pain. I completed C25K earlier this year, having never run before, and I can tell you that, while it's hard, it's not really painful. Good luck
  • Nteeter
    Nteeter Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I would say before buying expensive shoes and equipment learn how you run. Whether you over pronate or under pronate or are neutral. That's what these stores look for and then sell you expensive shoes to correct that. Any serious running will tell you when starting out to work on form and to think about how your jogging or running. Control your body and make sure your not out of control. Then work on distance and stamina lastly work on speed.
    Google is your friend read up on it. I went to one of those stores and they wanted around 180 bucks for my perfect shoe lol. I'm cheap so I googled stuff and found me a pair of brooks running shoes to help with my pronation for 80 bucks. Most comfortable shoe I've ever owned, bought another pair two weeks later. Before I was a Nike only guy but I think they are selling style over function anymore.
    This is my opinion only, you gotta educate yourself to make an informed decision. I applaud your efforts.
  • iana_cass
    iana_cass Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I would say before buying expensive shoes and equipment learn how you run. Whether you over pronate or under pronate or are neutral. That's what these stores look for and then sell you expensive shoes to correct that. Any serious running will tell you when starting out to work on form and to think about how your jogging or running. Control your body and make sure your not out of control. Then work on distance and stamina lastly work on speed.
    Google is your friend read up on it. I went to one of those stores and they wanted around 180 bucks for my perfect shoe lol. I'm cheap so I googled stuff and found me a pair of brooks running shoes to help with my pronation for 80 bucks. Most comfortable shoe I've ever owned, bought another pair two weeks later. Before I was a Nike only guy but I think they are selling style over function anymore.
    This is my opinion only, you gotta educate yourself to make an informed decision. I applaud your efforts.

I already know I overpronate-- remember that from teenage running days. Thanks for the tips, I'm bookmarking this page. :)
  • forkeeps251
    forkeeps251 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K last summer (I got to week 8 and stopped.... boo!)
    And this will probably repeat what others said, but 1) good shoes and 2) make sure you are properly hydrated BEFORE you start. If you have access to one (I didn't last summer, but I've done this before) then consider doing it on a elliptical. It is lower impact, and easier. It won't get you to running on the street quite as fast, but I bet if you completed the C25K on an elliptical, running on the street wouldn't feel nearly as rough.

For me though, it was good shoes that helped the most. I too had a lot of pain in my shins/knees. I kind of miss it, and I think I may start again soon!
  • Owly22
    Owly22 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hiya, I suffered really bad shin splints when I started out running just a few weeks back! What I would suggest you do is:

1) Get a good set of running shoes and also find out if you have flat feet or high arches and get some good insoles depending on which type of feet you have. I found out I had flat feet and ever since I got my insoles it made a massive massive difference!
    2) After a jog if you are suffering light aches/pains in the shins then look up youtube for some shin splints self massage - I carried out this a few times and it really helps, almost instantly I find!
    3) Don't run for two days in a row. It can be a bit frustrating but I swear by alternating with cross train or biking/spinning and your legs are tons better for the next time you jog!

I can't think if there was anything else I did, apart from apply frozen peas for 10-15mins straight after if there was pain but hope some of this helps :) shin splints are the worst and I thought I would never be able to run but I can run almost any time I want now and don't get bothered by it at all really
  • Cappicorn
    Cappicorn Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I started developing shin splints when I started running back in March. A friend gave me this link:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://triathlon.competitor.com/2011/02/training/how-to-prevent-shin-splints_19447&h=zAQE8pwXGAQGcAKV1nKfiSIUXAoCYat2GuQfgarGPA1iBQw

Just walking on the heels of my feet for a couple minutes every now and then and right before running COMPLETELY took away the pain in my shins. I can't imagine what my legs would feel like if I never started doing that. Totally works.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Pain or soreness? Pain is not good, soreness goes away with continuing exercise :) Sore is good, means you're working muscles you hadn't before. Ice and ibuprofen helps with mine.
  • iana_cass
    Options
    just went for my walk and switched shoes, so I can already tell that's going to be a major part. I feel much better today. It'll be a while before I can invest in better shoes though. Thank you, everyone!
  • yogagirl1111
    yogagirl1111 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    THanks!
    When I started running I was 25, 60 lbs over the top end of my recommended weight range, and a smoker. It's hard, but it should NEVER really "hurt." Yes, uncomfortable and sometimes borderline unbearable... but nothing should physically hurt. You might just need to ramp your body up to prepare for this new adventure!

There are three things that helped me:

1.) Foam roller ($10-20 at any sporting goods place) - Great for self-massage and quick recovery.
    2.) An elliptical trainer - Simulates running without the impact. Starting out I did 30 minute sessions 3x/week and did a walk/run 2x/week. It will help shed those extra pounds faster than running alone because chances are you'll keep a faster pace on the elliptical than you can maintain on the pavement.
    3.) Squats, lunges, and side lunges to strengthen those legs. You don't need any weights starting out, just using your own body weight is fantastic! I just find after 30 days or so it's helpful to up the ante and add some weight just to challenge the body a bit more. If you are riddled with shin splints, take a seat and spell out the alphabet with your toes bending at the ankle. 3 times through your ABC's on each foot will help strengthen the delicate musculature that support your lower leg.

Start small, get big results. Running does not happen over night. It's not shameful to take a month or two to get to "week one" of C25K especially if you need to really work at it. The fact is that you CAN do this.
  • andreashawty100
    Options
    I finished week 2 of day 1 today.. So hard for me. I stopped at some points but I didn't give up I finished it. I'm dreading wedensday
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I tried doing C25K almost 3 years ago and got up to week 5, I believe, before I just gave in to the pain and quit (didn't help that my dad laughed at me when I told him I was starting it). Now I can't even walk 40 min without my legs feeling like lead, but I have a goal to be able to run again by next summer, so very very slow progress. And of course now I'm about 20lb heavier than I was last time I tried!

So, how did you work through the pain? I used to run in Jr High/High school and I miss it!

Shoes! Have them checked :) Where do you run? Outside? On a treadmill etc? Surface can make a big difference if you are new to running. Start small and build from there - so run 1 min, walk 1 min. It normally takes me 18 mins of running to get into a good pace and then from there I am all good.
  • queengina2010
    Options
    I started the C25k today && I'm excited for the 5k run! :)
  • jgsinfw
    jgsinfw Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Only a couple of people have mentioned it, but ICE (or a bag of frozen peas / edamame / lima beans / corn) is very effective - 3 or even 4 times a day for 15-20 minutes, whether you are running or not on that day, whether you are in pain or not on that day. My heels, ankles, knees and hips all get stiff and sore, and the cold helps a lot, especially on my middle-aged frame.

Ibuprofen can hurt your stomach if overdone, but taking it before or after running can help. Alternate with Tylenol.

Stretching - even on days that you are not running - again, 3 or 4 times a day for 15-20 minutes, can really help.

When you finish running, eat a banana - the potassium can help with muscle aches.

Good shoes that correct your stride problems are a fantastic investment - I got fitted at a local running store and got a pair of Nikes to fix my overpronation that gets compensated for by too much inward force that leads me to supinate and pop my knees. The shoes were about $100, so not a lot more than a good pair of normal shoes - the knowledge of what exactly I am doing when I run was great to know (and to see on the slow-motion video they took of me jogging on their treadmill.)

I started doing C25K by jog / walking back in early October of 2011, and I got less than a mile my first time out. After that, I took 4 days off, I think. Working on the elliptical helped to build my strength as I alternated that with days of running on the track.

By Thanksgiving of last year, I ran a 5k in just under 33 minutes. This morning I ran that distance in just under 26 minutes, and the difference was that this morning, I wasn't really pushing myself and could have gone faster, while last year, I couldn't talk for 10 minutes after finishing.

You can do this - just start slow as others have advised, get good shoes, stretch / ice / medicate muscle pains and ice / moist heat joint pains (alternating).

All the best of luck, and don't give up :)
  • iana_cass
    Options
    Only a couple of people have mentioned it, but ICE (or a bag of frozen peas / edamame / lima beans / corn) is very effective - 3 or even 4 times a day for 15-20 minutes, whether you are running or not on that day, whether you are in pain or not on that day. My heels, ankles, knees and hips all get stiff and sore, and the cold helps a lot, especially on my middle-aged frame.

Ibuprofen can hurt your stomach if overdone, but taking it before or after running can help. Alternate with Tylenol.

Stretching - even on days that you are not running - again, 3 or 4 times a day for 15-20 minutes, can really help.

When you finish running, eat a banana - the potassium can help with muscle aches.

Good shoes that correct your stride problems are a fantastic investment - I got fitted at a local running store and got a pair of Nikes to fix my overpronation that gets compensated for by too much inward force that leads me to supinate and pop my knees. The shoes were about $100, so not a lot more than a good pair of normal shoes - the knowledge of what exactly I am doing when I run was great to know (and to see on the slow-motion video they took of me jogging on their treadmill.)

I started doing C25K by jog / walking back in early October of 2011, and I got less than a mile my first time out. After that, I took 4 days off, I think. Working on the elliptical helped to build my strength as I alternated that with days of running on the track.

By Thanksgiving of last year, I ran a 5k in just under 33 minutes. This morning I ran that distance in just under 26 minutes, and the difference was that this morning, I wasn't really pushing myself and could have gone faster, while last year, I couldn't talk for 10 minutes after finishing.

You can do this - just start slow as others have advised, get good shoes, stretch / ice / medicate muscle pains and ice / moist heat joint pains (alternating).

All the best of luck, and don't give up :)

Thanks for the wealth of tips!! I can't do new shoes at the moment but I have decided I won't start actually running until I can. Til then, working on the walking!
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to start C25K next month.... Idk about the pain, but when I asked almost EVERYONE said how important it is to have good shoes, and to go get fitted for proper running shoes... Maybe that will help?

i used to get bad pain and i bought really nice running shoes and it helped. then i bought athletes insoles and it helped even more!
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to start C25K next month.... Idk about the pain, but when I asked almost EVERYONE said how important it is to have good shoes, and to go get fitted for proper running shoes... Maybe that will help?

I would think so, though not sure where to go for that? Any sports store have a better reputation than others for doing well in this?

I'd like to also stress the importance of stretching. Shins, calves, etc, I like to stand with my heels on a sidewalk and my toes on the street to stretch my shins and then I turn so my heels are on the street and my toes on the sidewalk for my calves. I also did extra cool down and didn't crash when I got home, I would shower and cook and make sure to stay on my feet a bit longer as I got farther into C25k because I noticed I was getting tight, and that's when it would hurt. Make sure your gait is alright and that you're running correctly.
  • dadzpeach
    dadzpeach Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am starting week 5 Tuesday. I do a lot of stretching before and after and sometimes I take ibuprofen for I head out to the track. Maybe it's a mind thing for me but it seems to help. When I'm actually jogging and feel like I'm going to kill over I jog slower. Even if that means I'm only jogging as little faster than I actually walk. To me it's better than giving up completely or just walking. Other people might think I should just quit or walk but I don't really care what others think when I'm working out (or many other times for that matter :laugh: )

I also have actual running shoes so maybe you need better shoes? I'm going to go to a specialty store and get fitted properly once I can afford it but at this point I was lucky that I bought running shoes a long time ago and never wore them. I'm still not sure why.

I am in the middle of week 6 and when I was in high school any time I ran my knee would pop out of place (horribly painful) I'm ok now if I wear a knee brace, but sometimes the tendon in front/beside my knee will pop every time I take a step. So I'm like you, I take a couple ibuprofen before I head out, right around when I eat my snack before hand (anywhere from 30-45 minutes before I go) and I seem to do ok. If I start to hurt then I slow down a bit. It's all about knowing your limits, if you know you are going to hurt something, then slow down, it's not worth it to hurt something serious.
  • erniewebbiii
    erniewebbiii Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I tried doing C25K almost 3 years ago and got up to week 5, I believe, before I just gave in to the pain and quit (didn't help that my dad laughed at me when I told him I was starting it). Now I can't even walk 40 min without my legs feeling like lead, but I have a goal to be able to run again by next summer, so very very slow progress. And of course now I'm about 20lb heavier than I was last time I tried!

So, how did you work through the pain? I used to run in Jr High/High school and I miss it!

As a runner, I'm accustomed to icing my shins, calves and heels. Two things help me quite a bit: 1. The right pair of shoes. Critical. 2. CTR support pills.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!