Gym induction.. what to expect?

Options
porffor
porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
I'll confess to having been 220+ lbs at my heaviest, and now down to 182. I used to (before my heaviest) level out around 154 ish, so have never been totally slim but lifted weights / strength trained for fun in those years.

With this in mind, I am heading back to the gym... It's 18 years since I did an induction as the last gym I trained at was a body builders gym where I was shown around by my then BF.

So... I'm wondering how much inductions have changed.. will they weigh me? measure my BF? What can I expect?

I've only ever been shown how to use each machine and station, and generally what to 'do'. I would however like a plan but have the 'New rules for lifting for girls' book that I'm working through, so can use that as a plan if I don't like / agree with or want to do the gym version.

Any advice really appreciated.

My goals now are to lose body fat while working on gaining muscle. I have a much stronger right side arm than my left so likely need to work on levelling them up a bit. I ride my horse and have been strength training at home (30 DS, P90X and a bit of my own weights etc) for about a year and the odd class recently.

Thanks

Replies

• laurie858
    laurie858 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Great job getting back into the gym!!!

I just joined 24 hour fitness about 2 weeks ago. The guy basically gave me the tour, showed me around, and then said I get one free personal training session (where they PUSH you to sing up for and pay for more sessions). They can measure your body fat and take measurements if you want, but you can request not to if you're to ready. And, they'll show you some exercises that should fit your weightloss and exercise goals.

Whatever they do and tell you, you're doing the right thing by joining. Definitely lift weights and strength train. They're really important (more important than cardio, in my opinion).

Enjoy the gym!
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) Well done also! I've got free membership for a week then signing up. I want it to fill gaps in my riding as when I'm at uni I find it impossible to ride in the winter other than weekends.

I also agree that strength training is the way to go.. I always felt good strength training but attitudes seem to have shifted in the time gap I've had! lol For the better.. I'm hoping I can find a trainer at the gym who doesn't think I should run on the tredmill for hours on end to lose weight.. :$ We'll see! lol My darling hubby (not the body builder ex I mentioned). lol gave me advice on 'not lifting weights in case I bulk out...' I paused before I gently said I'm a girl unless I take hormone supplements I won't bulk out.. it's not in my nature to do so!

I already have strong calves, thighs and biceps (relatively strong back and triceps) and grip muscles in my right arm are starting to show themselves a bit more, but I really want to trim down my body fat but still work on muscle tone.

Thanks for the advice, will get ready for them to measure me so I have a baseline BF from them. :)