Drinking Water

MFPfriend
MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I have a serious problem here: I can't drink water.
It's not just water, it's any liquids. I can barely get in 4 cups of tea a day, and since it's caffeinated, it really only counts as 2 cups.
I don't know why, but I just can't force myself to drink water when I'm not thirsty. To me, it's like trying to eat mroe food after a 9-course meal. It hurts, you know?

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm starting to get major side effects now. My skin is drying out, and I'm constipated (Maybe a TMI here) all the time. It hurts like crazy to have a bowel movement, and I'm screaming when I go the bathroom. My urine is dark yellow, too.

I don't know what to do. I just can't drink water, or any liquids, unless I am thirsty.

Replies

• Emilydmo
    Emilydmo Posts: 101
    Some intense cardio might make you want to drink more water. Also, you could add more liquid rich foods to your diet, like soups and stuff. Would adding flavor to your water (crystal light, special K protein mix, etc) help?
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    I might try the cardio thing (I need to add a workout routine anyways), maybe that will help.

And the Crystal Light and everything, it doesn't really bother me to drink plain water. I actually like water, I just don't like drinking anything unless I am actually really thirsty.

Thanks for the suggestion on the cardio.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    When you are thirsty, take advantage of that and quickly drink MORE than you normally would. Forcing yourself to drink is a hard thing to do, but the body isn't all that great at telling you exactly how much water it needs, and you're having negative health effects from not drinking enough. The easiest time to get in some water is in the AM, I find when I'm extra thirsty (and after a workout). Don't drink anything other than water as your main beverage or have your water first before you have your tea.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 22,029 Member
    I would try really hard to find a way to get some water in. It's that important. Even if you start out small, say 2 ounces at a time. You could set a timer to go off once an hour and drink your 2 ounces (or 1 if that's all you can choke down). I have to think you would get used to it and it would get easier, and when it does, you could gradually increase the amount or frequency, or both. Your side effects are a serious wake-up call that I don't think you can afford to ignore, even if it "hurts" to drink when you're not thirsty.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    I have the same problem too. I am not much of a drinker. Except coffee. Anything else, juice, water, etc. I usually just take shots and I'm good. Someone advised cardio and I think that is a great idea. I usually get my recommended 8 cups of water a day once I get in a good hour of some hardcore cardio. I drink 2 complete 24 liter bottle of water and that counts for 6 cups after I do about 3-4 cups at work during the day. Good luck.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    The major problem here is that your thirst reflex isn't very accurate. Infact once you are thirsty you are really needing water. What I would do is a mind over matter thing. Tell yourself you need the water and start with a very small glass everytime you eat something. After that start to increase the amount until you get your 8 -8oz servings. If you are fighting it in your mind remind yourself of all the bad side effects and tell yourself you need it then swallow a little bit. Hunger also isn't always accurate, sometimes you are just thirsty.

Good luck!
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    I'm going to echo what everyone else is telling you, and also add one more thing: Think very seriously about seeing your doctor. You're in a chronic state of dehydration, and that needs to be taken care of. Your doctor may also be able to help you with any underlying conditions that may be making it difficult for you to drink.

I can't stress how important it is that you get some liquid into your system. The effects you describe in your first post are really worrying. :flowerforyou:
  • I would carry around a small sports jug with a spout and take very small sips all the time. that way it's not like your even swallowing anything. Also take small sips in between every bite of food when eating. After a while you'll probably get used to drinking more and it will get easier. My recommendation anyways...
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    I carry around a 1 L water bottle around with me all the time. When I first started drinking water, I hated it. I couldn't do it....or so I thought. I started to make a game of how many 1 L jugs I could drink a day, and sometimes how fast I could do it. You have to make it interesting, ya know? :)

Here's the secret...I just make myself do it. :tongue: After I take a big chug, my tum is really full for about 30 seconds, and then it's gone. Water drains from your stomach relatively quickly, so any discomfort is momentary. You clearly know that you need to be drinking more, so just do it :wink: You could add a flavored water packet if you don't like plain water, but I have learned to love it plain now. I neverrrrr drank water before, and now it's all I drink, and I drink about 4 L a day. Good luck, you can do this!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    How much are you trying to get in at one time? If you are up for, say, 13 hours, you only need to be drinking about 6 oz per hr to meet the recommended water intake. Most people are awake longer than that. I think you can handle drinking 1/2-1 cup of water every couple of hours. 1/2 cup is just about one big gulp.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    I drink Stash brand Green Chai - it's lower in caffeine than normal tea, it's smooth and easy to drink unlike regular green tea, and with some sweetener it actually tastes pretty nice hot or cold (or most often room temp!) At work I drink it all day long with sweetener, and at home I make up jugs of it with chamomile tea bags (about 2/3 chai) and keep it in the refrigerator. I buy it bulk from Amazon :happy:

Another way to slip water into your diet is to drink diet sodas. OF COURSE IT'S NOT GREAT but it is better than being dehydrated all day.

A trick a friend at work uses is she gets crushed ice from a machine in the cafeteria and eats it with a spoon. She's also sprinkled it with those packets of crystal light (single servings) to make a poor man's snow cone.

The last idea is high in calories but still better than being dehydrated - eat your water through water dense foods like celery (low cal!!) , melon, grapes, oranges, and even apples. Lots of foods have a large amount of water in them and your body isn't too worried about how the water is delivered as long as it gets some!
  • dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Try eating water-dense foods like watermelon. celery, grapes, brown rice...
  • LeanLisa4U
    LeanLisa4U Posts: 16 Member
    I found a water bottle by "Home Presences" which is 3 servings a water with a straw. I can sip on it all day. During the summer I put ice in it, but during the winter, no ice. I fill it up first thing in the morning, and it takes me through my workout. I fill it up before I go to work, and its done by lunch. Then I have another one when I get home. 9 servings a water a day minimum.

I hope you luck, because water is essential for the health of your red blood cells, organs and skin. It is also necessary for effective weight loss and digestion.
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    I'm going to echo what everyone else is telling you, and also add one more thing: Think very seriously about seeing your doctor. You're in a chronic state of dehydration, and that needs to be taken care of. Your doctor may also be able to help you with any underlying conditions that may be making it difficult for you to drink.

I can't stress how important it is that you get some liquid into your system. The effects you describe in your first post are really worrying. :flowerforyou:

Possibly the best answer yet.

Replace the tea with water. From what this sounds like, you need the water more than you need the tea and you may need a health screening to get to the root cause of this.
This discussion has been closed.