NSV - Today, I was "that guy" running past other people

Options
wombat94
wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
The trail that I often run on in the Harmony Hill Nature Area in East Bradford township, PA is about 2.75 miles long (just a bit longer than that actually).

What this means for a longer run, is that I have to run a part of it “out-and-back” multiple times. I like this trail for a 6 mile/10k distance because the trailhead that I park at is just about 1/3 of the way along the trail – meaning that it is .75 miles from that trail head to one end, and 1.5 miles from the trailhead to the other end. When I want 6 miles, I run the “short” side – then back, then the long side and back, and then the short side and back… ending up right near the car. (.75+.75+1.5+1.5+.75+.75 = 6 miles)

On this trail, this is not an unusual pattern for runners looking for more distance. Because of this, you can end up seeing the same people multiple times on a single run.

Today, I had a funny experience… one where I was on the “other” side of beginning running.

At the start of my run, I passed two women out for a walk together about a half mile in – they were heading north on the trail – about a .25 mile into their own walk. I reached the end, turned around and ran back north, catching up to them and passing them just about the 2.0 mile point of my run. They were still walking north, about 1.25 miles into their walk.

I continued on to the end of the trail – turning around just after the 3 mile lap on my GPS watch and headed back south again. With my first 5k being in a sub-35 minute time, and feeling strong, I decided to see if I could break 70 minutes for a full 10k and I kept pushing my pace rather than allowing myself to stop for walk breaks. As miles 4 and 5 ticked off, I ran past my car and back onto the “short” end of the trail and just as I was getting to my final turn-around point at the south end, I came up on the two ladies who were finishing their walk.

I slowed a little bit instead of trying to get around them and turn around with just a few yards left in the trail, and one of them called to me “Hey… thanks for showing us up!” She said this with a smile on her face and a laugh in her tone… obviously voicing approval of my 60 minutes of running while they had 60 minutes of walking.

I laughed and said “Thanks. Have a great day!” and then turned around and ran back up the hill.

I think that little exchange gave me a bit of extra motivation and spring in my step to finish out the last mile of my 10k run strong… stronger than I would have expected.

So, apparently… for today at least, and for those two women… I was “that guy” running out on the same trail where they were “only” walking.

It made me smile. Six hours later I’m still thinking about it so I guess it made my day.

It’s just another change that I am grateful for, more evidence of the good that running has brought to my life.

Replies

• tom_servo
    tom_servo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome! Congrats on all of your hard work.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It;s NSVs like you had tody that help keep us all motivated Congratualtions.
  • tabithajoyy
    tabithajoyy Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    What a great story! I hope someday i can run better! U inspire me!
  • shgreenw
    shgreenw Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!! Nice work!!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Well done 'that guy'!
  • RealMattHopkins
    RealMattHopkins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love hearing stuff like this. Good job, man! Keep it up!
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Fantastic :)
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    great story. but that run sounds like a lot of math... :wink:
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Congrats on a great run and better experience You get to tuck this into your memory banks and have it as a permanent motivator. You will remember this every time you think about hitting this trail and it will make you smile
  • katrinkap
    katrinkap Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    that's awesome! did you finish your 10k under 70 like you wanted to?

I am running my first 10K in septemer... super excited and super nervous!
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    congrats on the great run and on becoming "that guy" :)
  • RaluKitty
    RaluKitty Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for being "that guy" :) Keep it up!
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    that's awesome! did you finish your 10k under 70 like you wanted to?

I am running my first 10K in septemer... super excited and super nervous!

Indeed I did... with the boost at the end of my run from being "that guy" my 10k time was 68:38... that's three and a half minutes faster than my previous record!
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!! Way to go, & congrats on being "that guy"!!! :)
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic. :bigsmile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!