Does MFP really work?

Options
Hi everyone. I am new to MFP(3days in). I have to say I'm scared to follow the advice from my profile because I have tried other fitness tools before, and seen no results. I have read the success stories, but I am still nervous... I am doing a beach body fitness challenge (more lifestyle change for me then fitness challenge though). I really really don't want to fail... So if I follow the program religiously will it work?

Replies

• lilorphann
    lilorphann Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Me, my hubby, and my son have all used mfp for 517 days straight, and we've lost collectively, 382 pounds. We changed how and what we eat and started a little exercise, mostly walking. It def works!!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Go to the Success Stories in the Community tab.

You will only get out of it what you put into it. This is all on you.
  • michelle_w_04
    michelle_w_04 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do believe it does work! This is the first time where I've tried losing weight and have seen consistent results. I've only been tracking since mid April and am down 26 lbs. Which, for me, is huge. Plus there are a ton of other people basically doing it with you. You can't beat the support that's offered here.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. I didn't think it would work because nothing else ever worked.

I've logged in 580 days in a row today, and have been maintaining my weight for over a year. It not only works, but it was way easier than I ever thought possible.
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    52 pounds down...! Started just logging and eating, lost 18 lbs, had a total abdominal hysterectomy (March 6, 2012), at release from doc 5 weeks later, added exercising to the mix and here I am, not yet six months and down 52 lbs! Nothing I did worked before MFP...MFP works and it ROCKS to have friends losing with me!!
  • blf20
    blf20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yes it works, providing:
    you set realistic goals within the site
    in the beginning, you measure and weigh to ensure you know portion size
    learn from others in the Community
    give back so others can learn

I'm about 6 months in and have lost 36 lbs. That's after many years of yo-yo dieting
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    What Lorina said. I am living proof that it works. I am someone who has struggled with weight pretty much always. This is the first time I've ever felt in control of my weight, ever. I have been told and had actually convinced myself that this is my lot in life, that there is nothing I could do about it.

So yes. It works. The thing that makes it work is that it is not extreme. It's allowed me to make a sustainable change. Forever.
  • pammybrochu
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I see all these success stories, but I guess till it happens to you, it's always just "someone else's story". I am excited to start this journey. Thanks for squishing my neurotic fear! I appreciate it!
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I find calorie counting highly effective and in the years I've been doing it MFP is the easiest site there is! I lost 75 lbs in college counting calories and working out. It took me 3 years, but if you don't give up it will happen.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    It doesn't "work" per se, you have to put in the work yourself. It's a good tool to help you along the way but tracking your own nutrition in a notebook would be as effective too.

The only thing that really works is a life long sustainable change in your diet and exercise habits.
  • br2012
    br2012 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your personality. If you are type A and enjoy inputting everything into your phone or computer, it will be great. If you cant get to your device throughout the day, its easy to forget to record or measure accurately. I could also see it failing it you eat out alot. Although there are so many restaurants are in the database, portion sizes and oils used can be different from restaurant to restaurant and day to day. it has definitely helped me to realize how much grazing I did around the kids meal cleanup. wow holy oreo! LOL.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Yes it works, providing:
    you set realistic goals within the site
    in the beginning, you measure and weigh to ensure you know portion size
    learn from others in the Community
    give back so others can learn

I'm about 6 months in and have lost 36 lbs. That's after many years of yo-yo dieting

I've only been a member for three weeks but I already know it works re the suggestions above. I have lost 3 pounds of my 25 making it a pound a week. I am happy with that level because my intent is to get rid of my excess weight, yes, but it's also to get into a healthier lifestyle so I don't gain it back.

Making friends has also made it more attractive as a plan and also more fun.
  • CaralynH
    CaralynH Posts: 18
    Options
    Yes, it works. I've done various diets before and have always put weight back on. Thing is, I am not, and have never been, clinicially obese or overweight. However, there are weights at which I feel good and weights at which I feel bad and lumpy.
    I've been on MFP for about 4 months, 2 of those seriously and logging daily. I've lost 7lb which at my weight is a big achievement. I only want to lose another 3-4lb anyway.
    MFP has also encouraged me to exercise when maybe before I couldn't be bothered due to heat, fatigue etc. Yet now when I know I want a big meal or extra food, I have to earn those calories. I finished a 12hr night shift at 7am today, got home 7.40am and asleep by 8. I was up and about at 3pm but very tired. Yet the bloke wanted to cook pizza (900 calories per person) and I wanted to drink wine since I've been off alcohol while working nights. So something had to give, and we went for a 5.5mile run before cooking. In the bad old days I'd never have done that. I'd have said I was too tired to run and that would have been that.
    The biggest things MFP has taught me are:
    1. Portion control. Weigh what you eat and you'll see where the calories go, and can adjust accordingly.
    2. Value of exercise. If I want to eat more, I have to move more. End of.

If I can get under 130 pounds I'll be a lower weight than I've been for nearly 10yrs!! MFP does work, and I plan to continue using it for maintenance after the weight loss.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    It works for all shapes and sizes of people!

Some people on here are recovering from eating disorders and it helps them track their eating to ensure they eat enough.

Some people are obese or very overweight and are able to get their weight down.

People like myself, have just slowly put pounds on over the years, and while still in the "normal" range, prefer to keep things under control.

It is a terrific tool, and has really helped me understand much much more about weight loss. I thought I knew what works before, but the wealth of information here is totally awesome.

And... it's free! This is a community. The site offers tools to aid us and expects no pay from us. It is truly wonderful.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    MFP is just a tool. You will probably need other tools in your tool box to get the job done, just like you need more than just a hammer to build a house.

Other basics you will need:

*Scale
    *Tape measure
    *Have a professional body fat analysis done. Don't rely on BMI. If you have more than 10% of your overall body weight to lose, consider a method other than calipers. Hydrostatic weighing, bodpod, impedance are all good methods to get a basic idea of your body fat percentage.
    *Have several sets of measuring cups (liquid and dry measure)
    *Dietary scale
    *Measuring spoons
    *A before photo in your bathing suit or underwear (Front, back and profile). Look at those photos every day or when you feel like going off program.
    *Some weight loss buddies. Social support is very important to weight loss success.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    MFP is just a tool. You will probably need other tools in your tool box to get the job done, just like you need more than just a hammer to build a house.

This!!! It works only as well as you make it work, and that means consistancy, dedication, and sometimes brutal honesty. But yes....it works.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Don't know for you. For me, it worked almost effortlessly. It was kind of scary. On the other hand, I ate really healthy to start with - I just needed to cut calories.

MFP was a great tool for doing that. I could definitely not do it without it.

And it feeds into my obsessive love of data :)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Any program will work if the end user has the dedication to follow it. MFP is no different. If you don't put in the effort then it will fail. If you follow the plan as it is in the system then you will succeed. This is the same as Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Lose It, Herbalife or any other program. Like Lose It, MFP is free so might as well give it a chance.

I'll fess up now and say that I do not follow MFP. I only use it to track foods but many people here have gotten healthy using it.
  • BrianaRenee21
    Options
    I definitely think it works! I've tried to lose weight before and nothing worked. MFP helps you log your calories and exercise routine and at the same time makes you more conscious of what you're eating. For example the other day I was going to go to McDonalds cause I was craving french fries veeeerry badly. When I went to log the french fries the amount pf calories that were in them made me want to spit them all out. I've lost 20 pounds since using this and I can't wait to keep losing more. I would advise weighing yourself once a week and using a measuring tape to see the inches fall off as well. Good luck!