How do you cook your salmon? :)

Options
gel91
gel91 Posts: 309
I have a massive massive love for salmon, and enjoy experimenting with it.
So what do you do with yours?
I LOVE garlic, chillies, onions - anything strong tasting. So if you do something special with your salmon, I'd be interested in trying your recipies!

Replies

• vegasmari
    vegasmari Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite way (not very healthy). I mix brown sugar, garlic, butter, dijon mustard, dash of soy, salt/pepper. and melt it all together in the microwave, Pour it over the salmon and bake..... It's SOOOOOO yummy!!

Check out brown sugar glazed salmon for alternatives to the ingrediants
  • Taryn1627
    Taryn1627 Posts: 120
    Options
    bump! sounds awesome!
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    That does sound good!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I made seared salmon with edamame succotash this week. Delicious.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/seared-salmon-fillets-with-edamame-succotash-10000001896019/
  • KimThames84
    KimThames84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to enjoy salmon is super simple, but SO delicious! I use minced garlic and soy sauce, mix them together in a gallon zip baggie, then let the salmon marinate in the bag for a few hours. I then steam it for about 20-30 minutes, depending on the thickness of the cut of salmon. It literally melts in your mouth and tastes amazing!! I could eat an entire giant filet of it... :)
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    On the grill with lemon pepper. I'm boring. But it tastes soooo good! Tonight I am trying salmon burgers. Tempted to slice some oranges and sub out tomato with orange slices on the burger to give it that citrus taste that goes so good with salmon.
  • rhinolady410
    Options
    Teriyaki Salmon
    Combine 2 (6 oz) salmon fillets and 5 Tablespoons of teriyaki sauce in a zip lock bag. Seal and marinate for 20 minutes. Drain fish and discard marinade. Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat and add salmon, cook 5 minutes. Then turn and cook for 5 more minutets over meduium-low heat.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am kind of boring, but I have cooked it on the frill (either the George Forman, or the propane grill) plain or with some McCormicks Salmon rub on it for seasoning.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I am totally simple when it comes to my salmon. I spray a pan with nonstick spray, and lay the fish portions down skin side down. I spray a little lemon juice over the top, then add a bit of sea salt, some fresh cracked pepper, and tarragon with either dill or Herbs of Provence. Alternatively I use a little Spike seasoning instead of the lemon, dill, salt and pepper.

I then add a thin <very thin> bit of butter or smart balance over the top of each fillet... like 4 thin sheets and then throw it in the oven at about 400 or 425 for 10 mins.

Once it flakes its done. So easy, simple and so yummy. I love living in the Pacific NW... we have good fish here!!
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    On the grill with lemon pepper. I'm boring. But it tastes soooo good! Tonight I am trying salmon burgers. Tempted to slice some oranges and sub out tomato with orange slices on the burger to give it that citrus taste that goes so good with salmon.

We eat salmon burgers a lot!! A nice touch is to use a thin bit of marmalade <not the overly sweet kind but the more natural>...just a tiny bit on the bun brings out the flavor great!
  • mariafh0709
    mariafh0709 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple because I love having the flavor of the salmon to come through. I get a filet and put in a very large frying pan and cover it with water that contains about 1tsp to 1tbsp of lemon juice and about 1/2 tsp of dried dill. Make sure filet is skinned. Poach for about 10 minutes depending on the size/thickness. If water doesn't cover, then turn over in the water to cook evenly on both sides. Taste great and the richness of the salmon comes through. It is always moist because it i poached.
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Easy Salmon Cakes

From EatingWell

If you are trying to boost your intake of omega-3s, try this simple favorite. It is a great way to use convenient canned (or leftover) salmon.

4 servings

Active Time: 30 minutes
    Total Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients
    3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    1 stalk celery, finely diced
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    15 ounces canned salmon, drained, or 1 1/2 cups cooked salmon
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    1 3/4 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 lemon, cut into wedges

Preparation
    1 - Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
    2 - Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in parsley; remove from the heat.
    3 - Place salmon in a medium bowl. Flake apart with a fork; remove any bones and skin. Add egg and mustard; mix well. Add the onion mixture, breadcrumbs and pepper; mix well. Shape the mixture into 8 patties, about 2 1/2 inches wide.
    4 - Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium heat. Add 4 patties and cook until the undersides are golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a wide spatula, turn them over onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining patties.
    5 - Bake the salmon cakes until golden on top and heated through, 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare Creamy Dill Sauce. Serve salmon cakes with sauce and lemon wedges.

Tips & Notes
    Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
    Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear the bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice makes about 1/3 cup.

Nutrition
    Per serving: 324 calories; 10 g fat ( 1 g sat , 3 g mono ); 129 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 7 g fiber; 585 mg sodium; 97 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: 27% dv fiber, 171 mg calcium (15% dv).

Carbohydrate Servings: 1

Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean protein, 1 fat
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Great ideas x
  • dickster1961
    dickster1961 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    my wife makes it with a little butter and fresh dill and just bakes it in the oven
  • dianniejt
    dianniejt Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    We have 2 favorites.

If I buy the little 4oz fillets from the freezer section I just throw them in a baking dish, pour a little bit of Yoshidas Original Gourmet Sauce on it and bake for 20 minutes.

If I buy fresh fillets we grill them on cedar planks. Sprinkle them with dill, salt, pepper and garlic.
  • G7MCP
    G7MCP Posts: 11
    Options
    Pesto mixed with breadcrumbs on the fillet then baked, or coated in spicy Jerk seasoning...

:-)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Light layer of miracle whip across the top then sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and old bay. Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Last night I spread smashed up green olives all over a fillet, then baked it 400 degrees for 20 minutes, let it rest a few moments when it came out, Salty moist delicious.
  • zealousmissjj_wechange
    Options
    Marinate in Ketjap Asin, with a little honey and wasabi. Then grill :) Nomnomnom...
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Zest a lemon, 1/3 cup brown sugar, fresh cracked pepper, and salt. Spread this rub across the salmon and let sit for about 20 minutes. Broil it until internal temp is about 120 - then remove and rest for a couple minutes. This is stolen from Alton Brown, and I eat it once a week... Great stuff. Key to salmon is cooking it to medium temp (maxed out around 130) - remember if you're cooking over higher heat (pan sear, broil, grill) it will continue to cook after removing from the heat (about 10 degrees).