Calling all runners, readers, and anyone else interested in

Options
During my break, I was introduced to the book Born to Run. It has given me a new motivation to exercise and to be healthy. The book was fantastic and I encourage EVERYONE on this website to read it, you will not be sorry!

Preview: The book studys running, how humans are born to run despite our problems with running nowdays, superathletes, an ethnic group in Mexico, and an how to learn to love to run again. The author goes to the doctor and asks, How come my foot hurts? answer because running is bad for you. Why is running bad for me? Because it makes your foot hurt.

Page 13, " But why? Antelope don't get shin splits. Wolves don't ice-pack their knees. I doubt that 80% of all wild mustands are annually disabled with impact injuries. It reminded me of a proverb attributed to Roger Bannister, who, while simultaneously studying medicine working as a clinical researcher, and minting pithy parables became the first man to break the four-minute mile: " Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up, It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle-- when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."

Replies

• j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    love the last sentence It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle-- when the sun comes up, you'd better be running." I'm going to the library tomorrow and I will rent this one. I also want to read Ali's book I don't know if our small town will have it on the shelf but they can get it if anything. Than you for sharing. :flowerforyou:
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info - will get this book to read when i can!
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    So what's the answer to injury-free running?
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options

You will have to read the book!
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options

You will have to read the book!

Aw.. I was hoping for the reader's digest version! :laugh: