USA's snub to UK terror victims

Options
2»

Replies

• stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    o_O America is disgraceful?
    America didn't choose what was shown, we didnt say "don't show that **** on our Tv"

NBC chose what we saw. NBC is not America, it is just a Tv station.

Seriously people.

To quote the OP

"It seems that US media firm 'NBC' refused to show the part of the event which was a tribute to victims of the London bombings on 7 July when the Ceremony was aired to America. It was edited out".

To quote the OP
    "USA's snub to UK terror victims"

It doesn't say NBC's snub, which is what it is.

To be fair, it probably seems that way to the UK folks. You can bet plenty of Americans would be huffy if BBC did the same regarding 9-11 victims. I can see the Facebook postings now. I'm thinking ABC should broadcast in 4 yrs.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Anyway - you can just google and watch it, there's plenty of coverage other than NBC.

It hasn't felt like a snub here - maybe because we don't watch NBC, lol - but it's understandable that NBC focus would be on on your prime athlete. Maybe not the best timing for that particular interview as there were other bits that could have been skipped over.

But - every country has had its traumas minor or major one way or another. It isn't possible to remember or include everything in every Olympic opening ceremony.

What I really loved was the cauldron. That was a real "we are here together" statement. Only without the words.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Considering the moments of silence the UK has given in tribute to victims of 9/11.

Well - yes. They were rather a mixed bunch, not just US, and although you lost the iconic buildings the loss of people went farwide.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    America didn't choose what was shown, we didnt say "don't show that **** on our Tv"

Seriously people.

To quote the OP

"It seems that US media firm 'NBC' refused to show the part of the event which was a tribute to victims of the London bombings on 7 July when the Ceremony was aired to America. It was edited out".

To quote the OP

Yes, thank you. It's not that we're all dummies and don't care. Please don't judge like that. Thanks.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options

Seriously people.

To quote the OP

To quote the OP

Yes, thank you. It's not that we're all dummies and don't care. Please don't judge like that. Thanks.

Can you actually read my post - I have put a line in the top to say NBC's snub.
    And if NBC are showing it for the USA then they are choosing to represent.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Meh. My country's mere participation in the Olympics gets edited out of several country's coverage. Not to mention that apparently the opening ceremony is not a fitting time to remember murdered Olympians, but it is a fitting time to remember terrorist attack victims.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Meh. My country's mere participation in the Olympics gets edited out of several country's coverage. Not to mention that apparently the opening ceremony is not a fitting time to remember murdered Olympians, but it is a fitting time to remember terrorist attack victims.

I'm not going to argue about the murdered olympians being remembered, BUT part of the significance of the terrorist attacks is that it happened it a day apart from London actually winning the bid. It's also very relevant in that the threat of terrorist attacks are still very real, but we will not hide or live a quiet life in the shadow to avoid the threat, surely?

NBC sounds like a complete shower from what I've read. But BBC isn't so perfect. They majorly messed up in broadcasting the Jubilee celebrations at several times.