Is it impossible to lose 2lb/week like this?(TDEE&BMR)

Options
Meraid
Meraid Posts: 148 Member
Okay I think I get the premises of how I should eat between my BMR and TDEE to lose weight. My BMR is about 1600 and my TDEE is 2210. So does this mean that the max I can lose is 1.2lbs a week? (2210-1600= 610x7=4270/3500=1.22)
When i exercise I don't burn a lot, maybe 200-300, and I know already that I eat those back. So my basic question is: Is 1.2lbs/week the max I can lose? Can I not lose 2lbs/week?
(171lbs currently at 5'2)

Replies

• ruralife
    ruralife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think you can. You just have to up your exercise, either the intensity or amount of time, or find a new exercise that burns more calories than the one(s) you are doing now.
    I've lost more than this program tells me I should, and I know it's through exercise and making far better food choices. I love to eat, I'm just finding better foods to eat. I am also eating more frequently than I used to, but sticking healthy foods.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You would have to increase your TDEE so that you can create a 1000 cal/day deficit. It still may not come off at 2 lbs/week, but there's no reason you can't try. You have to burn 2600 calories/day and still eat 1600.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You would take your TDEE and subtract 500 calories for each pound you'd like to lose. So 2210-550 is 1660 so unless you want to cut even more than that I would say no. Losing 1.5 a week is very good though! Good luck!
  • BethlovesRene
    BethlovesRene Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm just not educated about this, but why do you subtract TDEE from your BMR? Does anyone recommend any articles that I can read to understand this better, or some can give me a brief synopsis.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    You would have to increase your TDEE so that you can create a 1000 cal/day deficit. It still may not come off at 2 lbs/week, but there's no reason you can't try. You have to burn 2600 calories/day and still eat 1600.

Yeah, what she said. It's doable, but you'd need to keep your net calories high enough to feed your body, which means a BUTTLOAD of exercise. There's nothing wrong with 1.2 pounds a week. Slower loss is more sustainable, which is what you want -- no sense in killing yourself with an insane exercise regime only to put all those pounds back on as soon as you drop the intensity. You might want to consider taking a more long-term approach that you can stick with for the rest of your life, like doing exercise that fits with how you live every day, not just for the months that it takes to lose your excess poundage.

Good luck!
  • Meraid
    Options
    I guess my reasoning behind it is childish, because I am entering my last year of high school and I've seen plenty of people lose almost 10 lbs a month and hope I would too, so that I would be my ideal weight by the middle of the school year. I really just wanted to be at that weight before I graduate. I guess it's an impatience thing, but I do understand that losing a lot in a short amount of time will make it just come back faster.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I guess my reasoning behind it is childish, because I am entering my last year of high school and I've seen plenty of people lose almost 10 lbs a month and hope I would too, so that I would be my ideal weight by the middle of the school year. I really just wanted to be at that weight before I graduate. I guess it's an impatience thing, but I do understand that losing a lot in a short amount of time will make it just come back faster.

It'll come back faster..is simply a cop out for people who are to lazy and undisciplined to sustain it. It doesn't ever have to come back.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

Meh... just do it sensibly without killing yourself over it and you will feel amazing by Christmas time. I've lost 30 slow and steady since January and I have barely noticed I'm "dieting". By the end of the school year you could very well be at your goal. Go for it!
  • ActiveYogi
    ActiveYogi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm just not educated about this, but why do you subtract TDEE from your BMR? Does anyone recommend any articles that I can read to understand this better, or some can give me a brief synopsis.

Yeah agreed ^^ , Whats the generic formula to calculate how many calories you need or how many pounds you would lose per week? So confused! hahaa
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    You can change your goals on mfp to losing 2#s a week: setting/update diet profile.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    1% of your bodyweight is a good goal per week to lose. It's safe and doable. That's what you should shoot for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jvhall83
    jvhall83 Posts: 35
    Options
    1% of your bodyweight is a good goal per week to lose. It's safe and doable. That's what you should shoot for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thanks for this information I never actually knew this. Like another member said, you can actually update your profile and it will do the math for you so that you can reach 2 pounds a week. But you may need to up your exercise maybe another day or so or what you are doing for an extended amount of time. Its your goal so go for it because you are the one that is affected by it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

You don't, misunderstanding.

Your BMR (MFP - Tools - BMR Calc and brief description) is probably above the bottom level safe line of 1200, if you plan on exercising and actually want to see improvements from it.
    Leave you body this many calories on avg daily to use for the BMR.

Your TDEE, total calories burned in a day from all your activity, some days more, some days less. Usually look at weekly routine and get a daily avg. Usually take the BMR times a multiplier that represents your activity level and what studies have shown is typical. May or may not be correct.

MFP activity levels are NOT the same as the TDEE activity levels, different multipliers. MFP includes NO exercise estimates in it, just daily non-exercise activity. Hence the reason you add the exercise when you really do it, are given credit, and after eating it back, you have the same deficit your weight loss goal created.
    It would be the same as TDEE activity level with exercise included, and then deficit taken.
    Unless the exercise really doesn't happen.

Hence MyFitnessPal - I guess pal because you get to eat more when you really exercise.

Search for TDEE calculator on Google, some sites describe the above.

To actually do the above outside of MFP, use the spreadsheet referenced in the topic and log your stats and see how you can change your goal.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/677905-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calc-macro-calc-hrm
  • Meraid
    Options
    Thank you guys for telling it to me straight, lol. I've spent awhile now thinking about it realistically and I figured I can get to 118lbs by the end of march if I religiously stick to 1.5 a week. I will have to up my exercise a bit, but that's okay. I'm sick right now with a fever so I'm not getting in my workouts but I will be doing 30ds soon!
    I'm excited because i counted the weeks on a calender and found out a goal for each month. Some months I lose 8 lbs, some I lose 5. I'll be content in losing 60lbs in 9 months. :)
    I hope I'm better soon, I want to get working!

Actually, now that I think about it... on 30ds, people will lose maybe 4 pounds but look like they lost 10. So maybe I'll stick to 118 when I get there. It's not just the number ;)