Calories or what you eat?

Options
Hey all,

I know this is a topic discussed before, but I keep going back and forth. Do you think that its about the number of calories or more so of what you eat. I'm talking about in terms of weight loss only.

If i eat 4 donuts at 300 cal apiece and eat 1200 will I lose the same amount of weight as if I ate 1200 calories worth of fruit and nuts and lean meats?

And no i don't plan on eating 4 donuts, I just want to confirm that if I allow myself some cheat foods that are within my calorie range I will be okay. I personally feel if I don't eat 95% clean then weight loss is harder but I think it might just be mental.

All opinions welcome! Thanks!!

Replies

• volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • ericbonfiglio
    Options
    The calories you eat have to stay consistent, however the cleaner you eat the faster you will lose weight...For instance on your calculator if you only add calories, you won't see your sodium intake, carbs, or protein. If you ate 1200 calories but lots of sodium you will retain a lot of water. Also if you ate all protein calories, your body has a hard time burning protein, it burns much slower...so yes you can eat your 1200 calories, but you have to enter each item you eat and track your carbs, protein, fat, and sodium...if you go too far over your daily allowances each day the weight will not come off very fast.
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I think the donuts are the same calories, just not the same nutirents as other foods you could choose. also you are gonna be one hungry gal after all that suger burns off.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    The short answer is no.

Fat, Carbs, Sugar, Sodium, Fiber etc etc etc all matter too...so if you're eating lean meats, veggies, fruits ETC you'e going to A. Be Fuller and therefore be able to eat less. And B. Your fat/sugar/carb consumption will remain in check.

That being said some people are obsessed with eating clean. I say track what you need to track (fat, carbs, sugar...etc) and stay within those limits eating whatever it is you want to eat.

Fruit I do quick add calories because I don't really count the sugar in fruit...

(I'm too tired for a long post lol but someone will I'm sure reply in much more detail)
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I completely think what we eat even if within our calories matters a lot.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    I don't think eating four donuts is a good idea, but it looks like you're with me on that one.

I wouldn't restrict yourself from anything. I think that's what leads a lot of people to binge. I eat salads almost every day, but I also eat a little bit of chocolate or some fruit with whip cream. Moderation is key, in my opinion. I don't eat fast food any more (except a salad if I'm in a bind) and now that I've stopped eating it, just the thought of a McDouble makes me cringe a little.

Allow yourself that little treat. Just have the self control to not go overboard.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories. So technically no, doesn't matter what those calories are when you are losing weight, just as long as their number remains low enough to create a deficit between consumed and expended.

Of course not all calories are equal in terms of how they make you feel -- but that's not the point. The more you deny yourself "treat" calories the more you'll probably want them, feel deprived and want to give up or over eat.

So ma'am, as long as you are eating a balanced diet and not regularly trading in filling, whole foods for "empty" calories - do not be afraid treat yourself to ANYTHING. Even if they do take you over that 1,200 mark by 200-300 calories a day (or every single day) -- you're still probably still going to lose (unless you're really, really short), just at a slower rate.
  • sirmio
    sirmio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A good place to start researching this stuff is with insulin sensitivity and glycemic indices. Look it up yourself, everyone who answers here doesn't know what they're talking about.

As a quick answer, yes, it matters. Simple starches, refined sugars and flours, and other artificial food stuffs affects our bodies metabolic processes in ways that are typically bad for weight loss. They can also lead to metabolic disorders, such as diabetes.
  • jacqui1612
    jacqui1612 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    As what the previous posters have said. The type of nutrients in the food effects weight lose.
    If you head lots of high calorie foods, you will be hungry. If you eats foods low in calories, you will be able to eat more. Load up on veggies, great nutrients and low calories. Also they taste awesome!
    I eat reasonable well throughout the week, but have a not so good weekend. I try to make good choices, but usually end up with a pub feed or take away chinese. I try to fit these into my daily calories but it does not always work. I lose weight even though I don't eat the best. Sure it takes a bit longer, but I also don't feel the need to binge on anything because I have little treats here and there.
    Good luck with your journey. Just remember, make good choice most of the time and you will be fine. Allow yourself a treat ever so often so you don't get cravings then eat way too much of the bad stuff..
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Yes, you CAN eat a doughnut diet, but I do think it's harder to lose weight.

In my personal experience, I lose weight much faster by eating better. This week has been a no-loss week, even though I ate under my calories and worked out six days this week. Usually I lose at least 2 pounds a week, but my diet is bad, so my loss isn't there.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I am only in the beginning of my journey, right now I am learning portion sizes and adding exercise. Because I want this to be a life style change I am starting slow. Right now if I want it and it fits in my dailies then I enjoy it. Now this said on our last vacation I learned that fried food is a trigger food for me. This was only the second time I had eaten fried food since starting b/c it had not been a part of my diet in a while I was able to recognize what it does to my eating. I know now that fried food will not be a part of my new life style b/c it makes things to hard. For me at this stage 1200 = 1200. I will say that eating protein helps me not get hungry as fast so I am sure there will be other foods I will eliminate as I learn more about how they effect my body.

Not sure if this helps but one of the latest studies had clients eating from a vending machine but staying under 1200 a day and they lost weight.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    the bottom line is that weight loss = calories in < calories out

is it healthy? definitely not.

in fact there was a study done recently that compared atkins type diets, to traditional diets, and a zone style diet and it showed that while atkins had the biggest losses there were some harmful side effects like elevated levels of bad stuff in your blood (definitely not the scientific term for it).

and then there was that guy who ate twinkies, doritos, and other crap food to prove that weight loss is all about calorie intake. so... i think a cheat day here and there will not harm over all if you are able to stay in your calorie goal.
  • volume77
    Options
    A good place to start researching this stuff is with insulin sensitivity and glycemic indices. Look it up yourself, everyone who answers here doesn't know what they're talking about.

As a quick answer, yes, it matters. Simple starches, refined sugars and flours, and other artificial food stuffs affects our bodies metabolic processes in ways that are typically bad for weight loss. They can also lead to metabolic disorders, such as diabetes.

^^^ THIS
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Yes, you lose the same amount of weight... and maybe just a tad bit more. Thing is what kind of weight are you losing. Protein builds muscles... Fat builds... well, fat. So by eating all junk food, you actually would lose lean muscle mass (body pulling from lean stores to meet your protein needs.. By eating more protein and such, you are meeting your body's needs in the diet and most of your weight loss will be from fat stores. Just my opinion but it makes sense to me.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If we are only talking weight loss - I don't think it matters too much, unless you have a medical condition that causes a sensitivity to particular foods.

If we are talking energy levels, general health and sustainabliliy of the way you are eating - I think that eating mostly "real" foods vs highly processed, low-nutrition foods is going to be a superior approach.
  • volume77
    Options
    I CAN EAT 1400 calories high carb and gain
    I CAN EAT 1400 calories low carb and loose
    thats just my experience
  • Long_and_Lean
    Long_and_Lean Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    short answer: it's both.

some things to consider:

1. research shows that high fructose corn syrup is metabolized differently than regular sugar. Same calories, and according to the corn industry "sugar is sugar" -- which is obviously not true, as HFCS affects your insulin levels differently than white sugar. (note to self: go on pubmed and find study)
    2. to consistently remain below/at your calorie goal and take in the nutrients your body needs, you WILL need to eat nutrient dense, not calorie dense foods like fresh vegetables, fruits and lean protein.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

I think you have an excellent response to somebody who is struggling with why eating cleaner matters, but the OP is talking about allowing herself occasional treats. If she wants one donut rather than a bag of carrots for a snack on occasion, no she isn't going to give herself diabetes or stop her weight loss for the week is she has a calorie deficit. Period.

Sure, if she chooses a donut every single day over fruit or veggies -- yeah, she might eventually see some effects from that, even if the donut fits in her daily goals. But that would again be over an extended period of time.
  • sirmio
    sirmio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ... the OP is talking about allowing herself occasional treats. If she wants one donut rather than a bag of carrots for a snack on occasion, no she isn't going to give herself diabetes or stop her weight loss for the week is she has a calorie deficit. Period.

That's true, but I was responding to the hypothetical situation she posed first. Thanks for clarifying it for me. :)

A major contributing factor to why a lot of people are here in the first place is that they're ignorant of the body's physiological, specifically metabolic, processes and nutrition. It's difficult to make a lifestyle change and continue to improve your health when you don't understand what happens after you put something in your mouth.

Furthermore, everyone should be wary of the advice they take from the internet. Some people even post that they have certifications or education that qualifies them to dispense advice, yet they don't post their real names or license numbers for any checking. Any professional who is licensed to dispense nutritional advice also has the legal resonsibility to ensure it is accurate, they're legally culpable if something happens to you for listening to them. It's definitely something to think about when you're talking to an anonymous professional.

Just a clarification, I'm not targeting anyone specifically with these comments. I'm also not qualified to give nutritional advice, I'm just an advocate of self education.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Meet your daily macro/micros and if you have any calories left over afterward, eat WHATEVER you want but don't exceed you calorie limit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition