Do you rely on diet industry products?

Options

Replies

• MandyMoos1978
    MandyMoos1978 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    How ironic - an advert for Weight Watchers appeared on here as I was reading the comments!
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I think it's more to do with the fact you're being tracked! As far as I know browsers track your activity unless you turn it off!
    Whenever I'm reading up on something I'll get ads relating to that appear in my web pages! I should turn it off but I haven't figured that bit out!
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    I use these guys here in the UK.

www.soulmatefood.com

Everything is freshly prepared and delivered to my door every other day 3 times a week. All made with fresh ingredients, nothing processed or packaged a-la Weight Watchers or Biggest Loser, and completely tailored to my dietry requirements and my likes\dislikes.
    The closest I come to a "meal replacement shake" is a fresh smoothie or a juice as a snack.

The closest thing I could find across the pond is this place.

https://www.zonemanhattan.com

Looks bloomin expensive but LUSH!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    If it has a health claim on the box/packet it is immediately suspect for me.

Double suspect if it has 'diet' in the title and don't get me started on 'low fat' or 'lowers cholesterol'.

I tend to therefore avoid psuedo-food in boxes and packets.
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options

www.soulmatefood.com

Everything is freshly prepared and delivered to my door every other day 3 times a week. All made with fresh ingredients, nothing processed or packaged a-la Weight Watchers or Biggest Loser, and completely tailored to my dietry requirements and my likes\dislikes.
    The closest I come to a "meal replacement shake" is a fresh smoothie or a juice as a snack.

It works out at £22.50 per day, that's Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack and Dinner - 6 days a week. No wasted or spoiled food, no time spent shopping for groceries (I can now go grocery shopping once a month for the household type.), no time spent cooking (other than heating the food through.), I have more time to spend on myself and exercising.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any weight watchers type packaged foods. If I won't feed it to my kids, I won't feed it to myself.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine is on LighterLife and absolutely everything she eats at the moment comes from a sachet. I don't think I could stick to that for 3 days let alone weeks on end!

Admittedly she is losing faster than I can eating sensible amounts of real food, but then I don't have to be monitored weekly by a health counsellor either so it can't be completely safe, and anyway it's not just about speed, it's about change for me, at the end of the day she'll have to start eating real food again and I wonder what she'll have learnt through this process? Probably just to go back on the program when it starts piling back on :-(
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

www.soulmatefood.com

It works out at £22.50 per day, that's Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack and Dinner - 6 days a week. No wasted or spoiled food, no time spent shopping for groceries (I can now go grocery shopping once a month for the household type.), no time spent cooking (other than heating the food through.), I have more time to spend on myself and exercising.

Expensive but maybe you'll feel empowered to learn to cook the same kinds of foods for yourself once you've learnt the foods and quantities you can eat? It's a shame we are all so spread out across the country/world or we could set up healthy supper clubs :-)
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I just make better choices.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I would rather stay away from the processed foods, but sometimes I'm tired/lazy/busy and they're there and easy. Eat what fits into your calories and makes you full!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Heck no. I do what I can with what I have. I can't really afford the diet industry products and besides, I've learned once you stop using them your weight comes back.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    No I don´t use anything diet. I just eat regular food and eat less but more often through out the day so it is more healthy than eating too much and only 1-3 times a day.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    if i like it i eat it, if it says 'diet' or not. only drawback to this is i don't get to be smug about my 'clean' lifestyle - i can have a snickers tho :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    ...or are you re-educating your eating habits?

I ask because I have noticed a lot of WeightWatchers this, or Diet that in people's diaries and wonder if I am odd to be avoiding these things?

In my mind that wouldn't be teaching myself what things I should be eating - and besides - they usually taste awful compared to the thing they are emulating. I think I'd rather have the real thing less often than a over-processed imitation of that thing - but am I missing a trick here?
    Just shakes, vitamins and fish oils.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    I would rather stay away from the processed foods, but sometimes I'm tired/lazy/busy and they're there and easy. Eat what fits into your calories and makes you full!
    This^^ I keep Lean Cusine in the extra freezer we have. I just know that I'm not one of those fortunate people who has a relatively normal schedule and somedays I just have no time to go to the grocery store for the week, so I have to live on what I have in the fridge until I find the time to buy, make, and pre-pack lunches. I'd rather nuke a Lean Cusine than hit a drive-thru.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    NO!!! If you only want to lose for a couple of months yes, If you want to lose weight and keep it off then you have to do it by changing your eating habits!!!

Basil
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them just because I don't like them. They taste gross to me so I always end up regretting wasting my calorie budget on them. And since they're trying (unsuccessfully) to emulate delicious treats, they're totally unsatisfying. I mean, if I want chocolate, I don't want chocolate-flavored waxy coating; I want some rich awesome chocolate. So if I eat the substitute, I'm still going to be having the desire for chocolate and will have basically eaten a couple hundred calories for nothing.

I find that if I eat high-quality versions of these things, I eat less of them because I'm satiated. So to keep with the chocolate theme, I will usually find that one really good truffle is enough for me while I might down three diet bars. Guess which one has (far) fewer calories?

In the end, I'm more likely to overeat and gain weight on diet products because I never feel satisfied with what I'm eating. It never feels like food.
  • littlemom1983
    littlemom1983 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    No. I like food. 'diet food' tastes of disappointment and regret. If I have to eat fewer calories, then dammit each one had better count and be awesome

This ^^^
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    ...or are you re-educating your eating habits?

I ask because I have noticed a lot of WeightWatchers this, or Diet that in people's diaries and wonder if I am odd to be avoiding these things?

In my mind that wouldn't be teaching myself what things I should be eating - and besides - they usually taste awful compared to the thing they are emulating. I think I'd rather have the real thing less often than a over-processed imitation of that thing - but am I missing a trick here?

don't think its odd to eat differently from others, but its odd to check out diarys, comment on them then keep your own private.
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options

don't think its odd to eat differently from others, but its odd to check out diarys, comment on them then keep your own private.

:laugh: :drinker: