Running apps and podcasts

Options
I run with NikePlus app on my Iphone and love it. I love the voices that tell you when you've hit every .5 mile, I love how it tells you if you've run personal best, I love how I can listen to music with it and shuffle.

Problem is, I find it easier to zone out while running if I'm listening to podcasts/ talking and I can't run the podcasts at the same time as NikePlus app.

Anyone know a running app that tracks distance, speed allows you to listen to podcasts on Itunes while running app with mileage prompts?

Replies

• Runner50266
    Options
    Runkeeper works for me. Do you use the Nike+ where you have to wear a chip, the one that is native with the iPhone? I downloaded a different NIke+ from the app store and so far don't have that issue you are talking about.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper. I know I can listen to my music, but not sure about podcasts. When selecting what to listen to, it doesn't list podcasts as an option, but I remember awhile ago I had a podcast that I was able to save to my playlists, so then it played just like music. That might work for you.
  • dwyadygwyad
    dwyadygwyad Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper works for me. Do you use the Nike+ where you have to wear a chip, the one that is native with the iPhone? I downloaded a different NIke+ from the app store and so far don't have that issue you are talking about.

I don't wear a chip, I believe it uses the GPS in my iphone. The GPS isn't great, but I love everything else about it. Lance Armstrong congratulates me on runs and it is said how much it lifts my mood! Does runkeeper have that? Do you listen to podcasts?
  • Runner50266
    Options
    Runkeeper doesn't have the motivational type of things like Nike+ does (sounds like you have the same app I do). It has a more "You have done x" type of thing. You can choose the audio cues of your choice. I listen to lots of podcasts. Listening when I'm running is the only way I can make the time to hear them, LOL.
  • dwyadygwyad
    Options
    I use RunKeeper. I know I can listen to my music, but not sure about podcasts. When selecting what to listen to, it doesn't list podcasts as an option, but I remember awhile ago I had a podcast that I was able to save to my playlists, so then it played just like music. That might work for you.

I downloaded app, but the only option is to listen to "All music", no option to choose a specific playlist OR podcast.
  • Rmfowler1990
    Rmfowler1990 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Oh try Cardio Trainer. You can use it for a lot of exercises, I like to use it when I bike!
  • dwyadygwyad
    Options
    Runkeeper doesn't have the motivational type of things like Nike+ does (sounds like you have the same app I do). It has a more "You have done x" type of thing. You can choose the audio cues of your choice. I listen to lots of podcasts. Listening when I'm running is the only way I can make the time to hear them, LOL.

How do you listen to podcasts on runkeeper? I only see the "all music" choice?
  • rozeltf
    rozeltf Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Can't you just listen music/podcast through a different app while Runkeeper is running?
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options

I downloaded app, but the only option is to listen to "All music", no option to choose a specific playlist OR podcast.

My Playlist is set to "None" but when I touch it up pops a list that includes All Music and all of the playlists I've created. Not sure why you are unable to change that.
  • kehowe83
    kehowe83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    mapmyrun is an app that I use. It does GPS location to monitor, as well as how far you go every mile, average speed, current speed and other options. It simply does this and interrupts your music when you hit a milestone; so I don't see why you couldn't use it while listening to podcasts.

Also, what is nice is it records everything online, and you can see your route, save and store it and look at elevation along your route. It is nice to record how far you go during the week, effort, etc.
  • charlieandrew1980
    Options
    I also use Mapmyrun - you can run it in the background and then select whatever you like to listen to - it just fades out the music when it wants to talk to you - although I am not sure it does motivational speeches...
  • Iain_65
    Iain_65 Posts: 5
    Options
    I use Endomondo.

First open your podcast/playlist/radio etc, then open Endomondo and start the activity you want. Your music will play in the foreground and you will only get occasional prompts form the 'Trainer"
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I've switched from Runkeeper to Endomondo.
  • nellelaughs
    Options
    Don't try to listen to the podcast through the Nike + app, just play it through the music player on your phone. I start my running app, then I push the "home" button and go to the music player and select what I want to listen to from there. You'll hear the running prompts over the music/podcast.