Craving carbs

Options
I find myself really missing and craving carbs. There are certain foods I shall not mention because I don't want to undermine anyone's morning, and I'm just dying for them. I'm a vegetarian and there are certain foods that used to really "make my day," and I just can't afford all those calories. I wish fruit salad were really exciting to me.

I'm going to get out of my chair where I sit in front of the computer all day, and go walk around a bit, distract myself.

Replies

• Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. After a little while I stopped having this **raging** cravings. You're doing yourself a favor with the distraction. The worst thing you can do is stay in the house with nothing to do on the computer with the TV on being assaulted by the food network and commercials, etc. Count the small victories too!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Usually, I would say to just eat your craving as long as it fits into your calorie requirements. However, given the info you gave, I'l also add that carbs - specifically breads and refined grains - you almost need to detox yourself from! For me, anyway, I find that if I go for a few weeks and really limit those, that I quit craving them, but if I take a day and overeat that stuff, my cravings come back, so it is like crack to me!

Also, since you are vegetarian, it is more difficult for you to meet your protein requirements without blowing your carb intake since your protein sources are likely to have a pretty high level of carbohydrates as well, so keep an eye on your protein if you don't already.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Once you start staying away from those cravings (sugar tooth, guilty as charged), they will diminish over time and hopefully you'll find yourself enjoying fruits more. At least that's how it worked for me. I still have a hard time saying no to a guilty pleasure when it's present in the house so I avoid buying them now.

I still keep repeating myself that my body doesn't need them. No matter how much I want them, I definitely don't need them.
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    perhaps you need to consume more carbs? How many grams are you allowing yourself per day? It would be helpful if your diary was open then we could comment accordingly.
  • rachael52
    rachael52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know I could open my diary. I just did so, with some trepidatation. I'd better get better at recording actual foods as opposed to being lazy and using that Quick calories feature.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You can cut your cravings by eating more healthy fats. I eat a ton of almonds. They have a lot of calories because of all the healthy fats they contain, but definitely help with cravings.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    What makes u feel as though u need to restrict your carbs?
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Usually, I would say to just eat your craving as long as it fits into your calorie requirements. However, given the info you gave, I'l also add that carbs - specifically breads and refined grains - you almost need to detox yourself from! For me, anyway, I find that if I go for a few weeks and really limit those, that I quit craving them, but if I take a day and overeat that stuff, my cravings come back, so it is like crack to me!

Also, since you are vegetarian, it is more difficult for you to meet your protein requirements without blowing your carb intake since your protein sources are likely to have a pretty high level of carbohydrates as well, so keep an eye on your protein if you don't already.

^^ This ^^ The sugar, fat, carb combo is absolutely "crack" to me. I can't remember the last time I had any. Being an ovo-vegetarian does make it easier to be satisfied in the protien department though. Had an swesome vegetable soup for breakfast today! Mmm.

edited to add, I'll second the almonds, walnuts too, but almonds for sure!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I'm the last person to criticize someone for not eating enough, but you're not eating enough!!! I only looked at the last couple of days in your diary, and it seems like you're eating a lot of carbs. You're eating cheerios for breakfast, pasta for lunch, and then candy as snack. I think one day you ate a peach for lunch, if I read that correctly? That's not nearly enough food, and what you're eating is not going to keep you satisfied throughout the day. Carbs are not the enemy, but you need to eat complex carbs. I have found that eating protein at every meal helps not only with my carb cravings, but also it keeps my hunger at bay throughout the day. I don't have my diary open, but I also don't log everything as meticulously as I used to. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Maybe try more protein earlier in the day? Like greek yoghurt or eggs for breakfast ? Just a thought as I find higher protein foods more satiating than carbs and helps to reduce carb craving.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    You might actually be missing protein. Have a greek yogurt if your diet allows or a handful of almonds or maybe an apple and some natural PB.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    mmm I eat an Atkins advantage bar...the chocolate and carmel one everyday. It is so tasty and I've been losing steady all week. If you need a fix..eat one of those. You could even break it up into pieces and just eat a bite of it once a day if you wanted..and it would help if you have a sweet tooth. It is that good.
  • rachael52
    Options
    Wow, someone found the one day I ate candy. It's scary opening up your diary!
    I appreciate the almonds suggestion. I'm going to buy some this week, but go easy on them (bring a handful to work in a baggy).

I'm working on trying to like yogurt and brought some to work today, so I'm going to have some soon, with fruit.

What I really miss, frankly, is the bagels and muffins and cookies that were a regular part of my day; but I don't miss the five pounds I've lost since I cut them out.

Thanks, friends.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try that paleo bread that is out by Julians Bakery... it is one net carb. When I get near to my goal..I'm going to use that as my bread.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I eat a bagel for breakfast almost every day.

See ticker. :smile:
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    Wow, someone found the one day I ate candy. It's scary opening up your diary!
    I appreciate the almonds suggestion. I'm going to buy some this week, but go easy on them (bring a handful to work in a baggy).

I'm working on trying to like yogurt and brought some to work today, so I'm going to have some soon, with fruit.

What I really miss, frankly, is the bagels and muffins and cookies that were a regular part of my day; but I don't miss the five pounds I've lost since I cut them out.

Thanks, friends.
    I cut out wheat from my diet completely (I found it aggravated my IBS) and found that I quit craving things after awhile. It allowed me to have more room in my stomach for more nutritious foods that kept me fuller longer. If you really miss toast though give a rice cake with some PB or your favorite topping a try. My favorite is a brown rice cake with some PB and sliced banana on top, sprinkled with cinnamon. Well goodluck on congrats on the 5 lbs!
  • rachael52
    Options
    I've gotten some great suggestions and I also am reminded that "trigger" foods for me are not the same for other folks. This whole MFP experience has been so helpful for me. Thank you all. Now I'd better close it down and get back to my job!
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options

I bag mine in individual daily servings at the grocery store. I'm that guy cashing out 5 bags of almonds, lol. Today I brought a 3 oz bag, so I know exactly how many to log. I'll probably kick them up to 4 or even 5 oz next time.

I like the roasted/unsalted a lot.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It doesn't look like you're on a particularly low-carb regime. (And yes, if you want to track that, then you need to record the actual food, not just do a quick add calories)

Was it after exercise? I know after a cardio session my body devours carbs!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    perhaps you need to consume more carbs? How many grams are you allowing yourself per day? It would be helpful if your diary was open then we could comment accordingly.

Yum, tastey carbs. I'll never understand why, unless the answer is rooted in medical necessity, people are so afraid of yummy tastey carbs.