Chia Seeds

Options

Replies

• Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    soak them in water so they form a gel and just take them by the teaspoonful before each meal, feel fuller and eat less.

I haven't gotten my hands on any yet but I had an aunt in town who ate them...when she told me about them all I could think about was ch-ch-ch-chia????

LOL my thoughts exactly on the ch-ch-cha- chia..my daughter told me her boss at work was using chia seeds and I'm like ?WHAT? Like those chia seeds on the chia pets?? for real? Anyhow her boss swears by them. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to try them just thinking about the chia pets.
  • Ken4Life
    Ken4Life Posts: 11
    Options
    I sprinkle them on my food just like I would if I where using salt and pepper. This works great as long as you dont mind a slite crunch.
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I've used sprinkled over salads or in overnight oatmeal, but there are some great suggestions here!
  • insyweensy
    insyweensy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump - such great ideas!
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    i add them to yogurt with some berries ( Greek 0% style) or if i am making a smoothie i soak them in the smoothie liquid for a bit first and they get softer and are easier to blend. ( they swell and form a gel like substance)

good luck and enjoy
  • clare_smiles
    clare_smiles Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the ideas and recipes! I've been wanting to try these but wasn't sure how to use them.
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have a jar of chia seeds and a jar with a blend of protein powder, oats, and chia seeds blended into a powder, which I use for smoothies for my other half. He doesn't know he is getting healthy :D
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Ingredients

1/4 cup chia seeds
    1 1/2 cups almond milk
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1-2 drops of liquid stevia
    This is similar to the chia smoothie recipe I use.

1 tbsp chia seeds
    1 cup almond milk
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 packet stevia

Put it in the freezer for 15 minutes. Stir. Enjoy.
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    - bump -

This is very interesting, I've drunk Chai Tea before but never thought about using the raw material. I need to investigate
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Aaaah, so they DO work??? I've been wanting to try these for about 6 months now... I'm glad I finally found a product that actually get's good reviews! So, how much do they curb your appetite? You don't forget to eat, do you?? LOL:laugh:
    I haven't found them to be any more of a "superfood" than any of dozens of other healthy foods. I do feel full and satisfied when I eat them, but no more so than when I eat things like nuts, veggies, fruits, flax, wild rice, quinoa, etc. Nor have I found any special benefit in my running performance when I eat them. However they are a nice healthy food that tastes pretty good, so I eat them in rotation with my other healthy staples. I like variety.
  • lenema
    lenema Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are a good source of omega 3s. I put them in my protein shake in my blender and have never had a problem with then clumping.
  • redshoeshelley
    redshoeshelley Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Pre-soak your chia seeds for about 20 minutes ... ratio of 9:1 (water to seed). Mix together, wait 10 minutes and mix again.
    They become a wonderful gob of gelatinous goo !!
    I keep a bowl of soaked seeds in the fridge ready for use.
    Love, love, love them in my smoothies :smile:
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Aaaah, so they DO work??? I've been wanting to try these for about 6 months now... I'm glad I finally found a product that actually get's good reviews! So, how much do they curb your appetite? You don't forget to eat, do you?? LOL:laugh:
    I haven't found them to be any more of a "superfood" than any of dozens of other healthy foods. I do feel full and satisfied when I eat them, but no more so than when I eat things like nuts, veggies, fruits, flax, wild rice, quinoa, etc. Nor have I found any special benefit in my running performance when I eat them. However they are a nice healthy food that tastes pretty good, so I eat them in rotation with my other healthy staples. I like variety.

My experience is the opposite. On low carb, I had more energy and I was super full... but I think it is because it soaked up all the liquid in my belly. I had to really down some water!
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Just went running all over town (Tucson) to find some, Sunflower/Sprouts were sold out of course but found a small 5.3 oz bag of them at Trader Joes. They're good in Omega 3 and a tablespoon of the seeds has 6 grams of fiber, 3 grams of protein.
    I'm going to try them in Overnite Oats, my protein smoothies and stir some in Carbmaster yogurt for starters.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them from a bowl. Took me a good hour to eat a few tablespoons so definitely got my money's worth there. Sadly chia seeds stuck in teeth = very unkempt look. Not too sure all these amazing health claims are worth the effort, tbh.

I've started scooping them out of my bag with a shot glass - so its easy to measure - and quickly 'drinking' them in two gulps - each swallowed with a good drink of water. Then brush & floss right after. :)
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    - bump -

This is very interesting, I've drunk Chai Tea before but never thought about using the raw material. I need to investigate

Not the same thing. ChIA - not chAI.
  • Obrienlo
    Obrienlo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use a pinterest overnight no bake oatmeal recipe! Just put all of this into a container (i use mason jars) shake it up, and put in fridge overnight and its perfect for the next day! No cooking involved! Most of them last a couple days!

1/4 cup large flake oats
    1/3 cup almond milk
    1/4 cup greek yogurt
    1.5 tsp chia seed
    1 tsp maple syrup
    blueberries

You can play around with the recipe, like add pineapple and coconut, or raspberry and vanilla, pb and cocoa powder etc! But the chia seeds almost form a a tapioca like ball. Its like having a thick yogurt parfait every morning!
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I found bottled chia seeds at whole foods one day so I bought it, and I didn't know what to do with them so I just drank them. lol!

-bump too so I can find some ideas because I really like them-
  • thinmen
    thinmen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are these healthy for you? Do you know if there are any side effects? Thinmen
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas