Exercise & HRM ??

Options
This afternoon, I took a walk with the dogs for a little over an hour. It's about at 2.5 mile walk. When I plug it into here, it shows about 269 calories burned. However, my HRM shows I burned 617. Is it possible to have such a big difference?

Replies

• natashiag
    natashiag Posts: 33
    Options
    Thats a pretty big difference, but if its really hot outside it can increase your heart rate therefore change your results.
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options
    Absolutely possible, especially if you were using a chest strap HRM and it was set up accurately. The HRM sees how your body is responding and calculates your calorie burn, MFP doesn't.
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Actually, the HRM inflated your calorie burn, which is typical when it is used for walking. HRM's are not designed to accurately measure calorie burn during low intensity cardio, such as walking, gardening, and many other activities so many people use them for. I will bet the MFP number is more accurate. Hope you didn't eat them back yet.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    It would depend on how out of shape you are as someone who is heavier and not use to exercising you would definitely burn more calories. 617 does seem high for a walk, even if it was vigorous.
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options
    Actually, the HRM inflated your calorie burn, which is typical when it is used for walking. HRM's are not designed to accurately measure calorie burn during low intensity cardio, such as walking, gardening, and many other activities so many people use them for. I will bet the MFP number is more accurate. Hope you didn't eat them back yet.

Low intensity? Not everyone walks casually. I walk like I mean it on my treadmill, alternating inclines, HR in the 160's, sweat dripping, unable to speak much or drink. That's not low intensity. I burn 450-550 in an hour so it's not unlikely at all that the OP burned 619 in an hour.
  • Coco_UK
    Coco_UK Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had exactly the same on Saturday. I went out for a 72 minute walk with my dog, I kept a good pace and stayed above 70% for all of the time. For about 35/40 minutes I kept myself between 75% and 85%... every time I dropped I jumped around or run a little (not fit enough to run yet).

When I got home I had the following reading:

HRM = 625
    MFP = 336 (based on 3mph)
    Endomondo = 353

I walked 3.20 miles average speed 2.73 mph, I am pretty out of shape, 42, female and at the lower end of the obese BMI.

The HRM reading was consistent with what I often get from it, always higher than anything else.

What I do is log the HRM calories because it makes me feel great but try not to eat them all back just in case :-)
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have to workout HARD for 60 minutes to burn 650 calories. So I'd say your HRM is off a bit. Check it to make sure your AGE, WEIGHT, HEIGHT, etc are accurate. Does your HRM have a chest strap or just touch with your finger? Get one with a chest strap. Like a Polar FT4 or FT7.