how do I pick out the right bike?

Options
I am interested in doing a 100 mile charity bike ride. The 2010 Bike MS: Valero Ride to The River will be October 9-10 so I have plenty of time. My questions is how do I pick out the right bike. If anyone has suggestions that would be really great. I have no idea where to start.

191371.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• shera426
    shera426 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You have to go to a good bike shop in your area. They will help with all your questions and fit you with the right bike. I never knew there were so many variables when picking out a bike until I stepped into a bike shop and wanted to take one home. There are so many great ones out there so good luck! I'm hoping to do some bike races in the future as well, right now i'm just enjoying my outdoor time w/ my Trek 7200 :happy:
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    thanks
  • Nikki_Z
    Options
    A good bike can be hard to find. Start EARLY!! It took me 3 months of looking and fitting to find the right one - and it still needs a few tweaks before next season!
    First and foremost: Go to a reputable bike shop. Check to see if there are any bike clubs in your area, and ask around if you don't know where to go.
    Take your time. Don't settle on the prettiest one!
    100 miles may seem like a long distance, and it is - sort of. Make sure you get extra tubes (they're bound to go on the ride, if not in training!), small pump, patch kit, front and rear lights (you'll be doing some riding in dusk hours likely) - and find a comfortable seat!
    I've done a few 100 milers over weekends and am planning my first race in NM in May 2010.
    Good luck with it!