ZUMBA

Options
How can we/ who do we speak to about having a new exercise such as zumba added to the list? It is such a common way to exercise these days but yet it is not int he list. Please let me know hwat you think!

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    since zumba is such a low tier exercise you could try inputting it as walking
  • missmonica78
    missmonica78 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't classify Zumba as "Low Tier">
    You can go to www.zumbacalories.com to calculate your calories and then input it manually.
    I usually search "Aerobic Dancing" and the calories are usually pretty close.
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I burn a lot more calories at Zumba than I do walking (and I do both).

I used this as a calorie calculator:

http://www.caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/

And I've been steadily losing eating back 75% of my exercise calories, so I have to believe it's pretty accurate.
  • Plates559
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't classify Zumba as "Low Tier"

Why not? lets say you have 4 exercises, and we'll keep them aerobic.

1. Metabolic Conditioning
    2. Zumba
    3. HIIT
    4. Walking

Please put them in order based off of difficulty.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Zumba can vary from easy to "F me that was exhausting". Walking changes with the speed, zumba changes with the pace. But it still depends on the energy you put in. If I have worked haard I pin it under High intesity aerobics. If I'm being lazy (which is rare) then it gets rated under low impact or something
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

2. Zumba
    3. HIIT
    4. Walking

It would depend on the type of HIIT, as that's a broad category, the length and intensity of the Zumba workout, as those can vary greatly, and what you mean by "difficulty" (energy required to complete, coordination required, stamina, ???)

But I'd put a good Zumba class on par with HIIT.
  • Plates559
    Options

lol, 10/10, made me laugh.

When in an entire zumba class do you sprint/dance for an entire minute. It is impossible to swivel your hips hard enough to equate to an all out minuet long sprint.

A normal HIIT is sprinting for a minute, and then walk minute, sprint another, rinse and repeat. Zumba doesn't offer that kind of work effort.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options

2. Zumba
    3. HIIT
    4. Walking

As a man who does Zumba, HIIT, Martial Arts, step classes, spinning, etc Zumba is not some little lite exercise in and of itself. If you push yourself, you will burn a ton of calories.

Wearing a Polar HRM, I can easily burn 900+ calories in an hour dance session. It's all in how hard you push yourself and how good the instructor is. Its foolish to denounce Zumba as a cardio session just because it is dancing.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Under the exercise tab you have the option of creating a workout if you cant find it in the database. You could go to the Zumba Calories website, put in your info and it will tell you how many calories you are expending based on your weight, duration of workout and intensity level. And then you input that info into MFP. And now when you log it you can pull it up under "My Exercises". Hope that helps :wink:

http://www.caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/
  • Plates559
    Options
    Its foolish to denounce Zumba as a cardio session just because it is dancing.

It certainly couldn't be considered anaerobic exercise. I would love to see someone try and dance without breathing. therefore it is aerobic aka cardio.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    It certainly couldn't be considered anaerobic exercise. I would love to see someone try and dance without breathing. therefore it is aerobic aka cardio.

You can reach points in which you do hit anaerobic at parts. It's not meant to be anaerobic, that's what HIIT, etc is for. But you were mentioning earlier aerobic and not anaerobic unless I am missing a post somewhere. As far as aerobic conditioning, Zumba is very good at doing that. Granted, for me body combat and martial arts hit harder as far as cardio goes. But, I do enjoy mixing up my exercise with zumba now and then and I don't feel like I wasted my time with it.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    since zumba is such a low tier exercise you could try inputting it as walking

LMAO! Meet me at the gym Saturday and we'll see about that. ;)

I created a Zumba option. I put that I burn 500-550 a class. I am certain I underestimate that, but I would rather under then over. My instructor says he thinks I burn around 700. (a one hour class)
  • sam_sb2008
    sam_sb2008 Posts: 17
    Options
    I have Zumba in under Dance aerobics. It shows a low amount of calories that are burned because my instructor does not move as much as i used to when I went to another gym. Typically in Zumba they say it ranges between 500-1000 calories an hour depending on your movement.
  • scmorock
    scmorock Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ha, you must have the WRONG Zumba instructor! I burn >800 calories in a single 55 minute class.
  • MrsCCWoods
    MrsCCWoods Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    lol um no i burn a lot of calories doing Zumba i wear a HRM and you can go to the website like many people have already posted and i pretty much burn 1000 or more in a 60 min class
    25438163.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • AidaOnTheRoad
    AidaOnTheRoad Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I need to check my calorie counter when I do Zumba. Most times the counter shows around 2 miles. It is like a high intensity dance class for me! I am moving the entire hour, with a MAYBE 15 second break between songs. Very high intensity for me! :smile:
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I would guess that because Zumba varies so widely based on the individual, it would be best for you to wear a heart rate monitor and manually input your calories. That's what I do, but I've discovered that my calorie burn and MFP's estimate are almost NEVER the same...so it's more accurate for me to use a HRM to get an accurate picture of my calorie count
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Yep, I wear an HRM too doing 50 mn. at Intermediate level on my Zumba on the Wii and burned 536 calories. More than walking would do for me!!
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    LOL According to my HRM I burn about 850 calories per hour of Zumba. Can't imagine how long I'd have to walk to burn that!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

lol, 10/10, made me laugh.

When in an entire zumba class do you sprint/dance for an entire minute. It is impossible to swivel your hips hard enough to equate to an all out minuet long sprint.

A normal HIIT is sprinting for a minute, and then walk minute, sprint another, rinse and repeat. Zumba doesn't offer that kind of work effort.

Oh Sweetie, youve never done Zumba, have you?