Not pregnant, just fat

Options

Replies

• UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    This happens to me all the time, it's kind of awkward because... well... I am a man. My reaction is usually the same as yours was.

I am just joking, people can be insensitive and just stupid. Do this for yourself not because someone said something stupid. Good luck!
  • susanhiding
    susanhiding Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    That is the worst.

I was at Starbucks once and a guy in front of me said "Won't have to wait too long, right?" I thought he was talking about the line, but then he pointed to my belly. I decided to get a skinny latte that day.

I tell all my guy friends to never, ever ask a woman if she is pregnant, unless you know with 100% certainty that she is!
  • jenwalton
    jenwalton Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I got asked this a few times. And then, the piece de resistance... this woman on the T (Boston's subway system) insisted on me taking her seat. I shook my head because I was okay standing. Then she walks over, and in very broken English yells at me, "No! You pregnant lady! You seat! Seat now!". It was terrifying. I sat. And went for a run as soon as I got home.

I am so sorry!! And yet I can't stop laughing!! That is terrible!!!!!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I got asked this a few times. And then, the piece de resistance... this woman on the T (Boston's subway system) insisted on me taking her seat. I shook my head because I was okay standing. Then she walks over, and in very broken English yells at me, "No! You pregnant lady! You seat! Seat now!". It was terrifying. I sat. And went for a run as soon as I got home.

Id run too if I got yelled at in broken english
  • jasperann
    jasperann Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had this happen to me. I was walking across to a store across the parking lot and I crossed in front of a car stopped at a stop sign and my family for some reason didn't follow me, and the man says as he is passing that he will stop any day to let a pregnant woman walk across the street. I was so embarrassed. Sadly it wasn't my breaking point and I continued to gain weight for a few more months after that. =(
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    This happened to me, too. I vowed to never again wear that shirt.

(Unfortunately- the shirt wasn't the problem.)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

I am so sorry!! And yet I can't stop laughing!! That is terrible!!!!!

I am about ready to pee my pants even retelling the story. I hope to see that little lady some time now that I'm slimmer and be like, "Seat! Seat now!"
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Id run too if I got yelled at in broken english

"You seat! Seat naoooowwwww!" :laugh:
  • DianaR13
    DianaR13 Posts: 5
    Options
    I think its safe to say that if you're a woman and you've ever hand the pouchy or round belly, you have been accused of being pregnant. Some people...I know they don't mean it.
    I'm looking for MFP buddies too because sometimes I get swept up in my day and forget to eat right or at least jump rope on the front porch. It's good to have friends to keep you motivated.And for you to motivate.
  • BeanQueen3000
    Options
    I can't even count how many times i've been asked. All the women in my family have this body type-- broad hips, big boobs, and any extra weight goes straight to the pooch. It's the worst, and the only consolation is how MORTIFIED you know the person asking must be after you tell them to piss off.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I used to get asked that question about once every few months -- I've always had a pooch, and it used to infuriate me. My husband used to hate it, too, because I'd usually be a boo-hooing basket case for a few days afterward.

The funny thing is, everybody who said that to me was FEMALE, and 98% of them had kids in tow! I thought they'd know better.

I've never had a guy ask me that -- I think most guys stay faaaaar away from that question.

I'm glad you're finding motivation in that not-so-fun moment!!
  • no1betta
    no1betta Posts: 11
    Options
    Ok you might not find it funny but I have to share because I was watching this movie called thanks for inviting me on comedy central (crazy but fun movie) and the girl n guy were on a bus and this lady sat next to them. Well the girl turns to the lady and said awwww and began rubbing her stomach and that prompted the guy to do it to and say congrats. Well the lady looks up and says I'm not pregnant. Of course it was funny on the movie but now that I read your post I am thinking oh I would have been horrified. So it is a shock that I was just watching that and then to know it happened in real life. OMG so naive at times..... Well glad u weren't too bothered by it that u shared the story and that you are using it to push for better health! Stay positive is very helpful in the battle of the bulge! Feel free to add me for encouragement and some laughs! Oh I am a lil like Jillian because I do check your diary to see what ur eating and i will say Hey is that a Cheese burger 2 days in a row..... so add at your own risk LOL but i expect the same in return!
  • kikiloo
    kikiloo Posts: 14
    Options
    Oh the mortifying "when are you due?" comment, had it happen too many times. The strange one I have a friend who when asked it always snaps back with "I have a thyroid condition!!" and fake tears. She doesn't, but it makes her feel better then admitting she should lose weight.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I have never been asked if I was pregnant. I carry my weight all over so maybe that's why? Also, I really don't understand how people just assume like that. I would never in my right mind ask a stranger if they're pregnant or make a comment about them. The only time I ever say something is to close friends who I know are pregnant. One thing that creeps me out about strangers is that I was with my friend who was pregnant at the time and a stranger put her hands on my friend's belly. That's weird, guys. Don't do that.
  • Amailynn
    Amailynn Posts: 13
    Options
    I got that a lot two years ago... Use it to motiavate youself trun it into positive energy.
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    There should be a rule about not asking women if they are pregnant. If they were pregnant, they would tell you.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I had this happen once. I was sitting in a booth at a restaurant near the kitchen. About to order some nice fattening food I am sure. Our waitress not only asked when I was due, she rubbed my belly! I was mortified. I am sure my response was not so polite to her. She was so embarrassed, went into the kitchen and told all the staff, who then kept peeking out at the fat chick. I got up and just left the restaurant. The manager chased my bf down, packed up our meals to go, and gave them to us free. Needless to say, I never went back there.

I had completely forgotten about that experience until now....
  • kt1280
    kt1280 Posts: 19
    Options
    Ugh. I have been asked several times at work from a couple of different WOMEN if I was pregnant. The kicker was when I was asked if I was sure. I replied that I was just fat and yes, I was sure that I wasn't pregnant seeing as I was on my period. People are so rude.

I can tell you one thing though....this has been my biggest motivator.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I've been asked a couple of times "When's it due?" - "It's not, I'm fat!"

The other week I was at choir practice, standing next to a very slender girl. I looked down & thought "She's pregnant" - there was this round tum sticking out on my right. I wondered whether to say anything & decided not to - let her tell me. During a break she told me she'd been really embarassed earlier that day - she'd met a friend who'd asked her when her baby was due, and she was mortified to have to say that she wasn't pregnant. I was so glad I'd kept quiet!
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I got that question on the 4th of July this year, at 6:00 a.m. in the MARTA station en route to run the Peachtree Road Race! I am 49 years old and had my 17 and 19 year old daughters with me! I laughed. I admit that I like to run in an oversized men's tank top because its cooler. But some people need to look once and think twice before speaking!