Protein shakes

Options
Gagaluvr
Gagaluvr Posts: 73 Member
Ok I want to know which protein powder is the best? whey protein powder OR soy protein powder? I've been drinking EAS lean 15 vanilla mixed with unsweetened vanilla soy milk for awhile as a protein shake after my workout. But I also noticed they make a soy protein powder. I have friends that drink body by vi and some drink shakeology. I cannot afford to pay $100 a bag of powder. I think that is WAY overpriced. I'm a big skeptical of both of those brands. Are there other products out there that aren't $100 a bag that are as healthy to drink? I just want to make sure i'm drinking something that isn't holding me back from the 10 lbs I want to lose. I am watching and tracking my calories everyday but i'm trying to make some adjustments with this and some other things I eat. Do you have any protein powders that you recommend? Thanks!

Replies

• sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I use prograde protein powder. I like it, it tastes good and lasts awhile. As for price it's about 40 dollars for a bottle. It seems ok to me. Give it a try and see what you think.
  • brendddda
    brendddda Posts: 33
    Options
    This is what I use. I'm not an expert on protein powder, but whey protein seems most highly recommended. It's a great price, too. I've read reviews and compared, and this seems to be the best value for the money.
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2134051
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Body By Vi and ShakeO are kind of a joke. SO much money down the drain imo.

Whey protein is the way to go. I just get what ever is cheapest. Usually Optimum Nutrition or Isofuel are my go to brands

Also every soy powder I have had tasted like *kitten* xD
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Ahem....Myofusion. :p
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I use new whey vials I get at walmart, about 2.50 each, 42g protein, 180 calories, and its a liquid, so ready to drink. Taste kinda weird, like drinking a solid, but its clear liquid. Still, got a pack in my fridge right now.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would guess it all in personal choice. I bought the whey chocolate and mixit with skim milk and I like it. I have to replenish it soon and next time I am going to buy the vanilla. I like whey because it gives me 38 grams and I want to get 80 grams of protein a day for fat .

Basil
  • Gagaluvr
    Gagaluvr Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Does whey keep you fuller? I love the EAS brand. Both taste great! But I heard body fortress (some brand at walmart) is a nice price and good too. So I might try that next. I totally agree with you Train Insane! What store can you buy the optimum brand?
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition, I buy it from Amazon.com in 5# jugs. Tons of flavors, though I prefer vanilla, and it's quite tasty.
  • brendddda
    brendddda Posts: 33
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition can be found at GNC, www.vitaminshoppe.com, www.amazon.com and a few other websites.

But it's currently on sale at GNC
  • br2012
    br2012 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! Shakeology costs so much because of all the coaches the product supports! I've found cheapest proteins cause most gas (maybe TMI). I think best taste but but half price of shakeology is Max Muscle High Five and Sun Warrior from Vitamin Shoppe.
  • DeMayr
    DeMayr Posts: 67
    Options
    I'd stay away from soy, it's not as pure or valuable of a protein source as whey.

Whey protein is more digestible and has a greater availability to the body therefore giving it a greater biological value. Overall, whey is more efficient and is utilized better by our bodies because it has a greater nutritional value.

I personally use Optimun Nutrition Gold Standard. It comes in many different flavors too. Don't order from GNC though, they are too expensive. Bodybuilding.com is typically much cheaper than anywhere else I've come across.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress Super Advanced whey protein. It's great in smoothies....perfect breakfast.
  • honore54
    honore54 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i use gnc's amplified wheybolic extreme 60. they say to use 3 scoops each time but i use one if its a non training day and two if it's a training day. i think it's pretty good, the vanilla mixes well with anything. i bought a tub for around 50 dollars in mid june and i can probably go another few weeks before buying another one.
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    isolated whey is bomb. look for low or no cholesterol, also if you take 4 x the amount of protein per serving the total should be real close to the calories per serving. so if you get 25 grams of protein per serving and its 100 cals per serving you are sitting pretty. Scoobysworkshop.com explains in detail how to choose a good protein powder. Also watch what they sweeten them with.
    Dymatize iso 100 is one of the best proteins I have found 103 calories 25 protein 0 fat 0 carbs and 0 cholesterol, This is just my opinion, but I was an Optimum Whey guy for years
  • Jamesecj
    Jamesecj Posts: 20
    Options
    I use Advocare products since they are top of the line and really focus on absorption. Their protein shake has digestive enzymes so that your body can easily digest and absorb the protein. And since I'm not interested in wasting my money by purchasing products that are going to pass right through and not absorb, I stick with them! EAS was listed on consumer reports for having toxins. You should really look into that!

https://www.advocare.com
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Protein Powder (available at Target, WalMart, Amazon) because it's on the cheap side,but still tastes good. I have both the Frosty Chocolate and the Vanilla Creme (it's whey protein powder).

I also currently have Body Fortress Strawberry, but I don't like it very much. Maybe because I'm not a huge fan of strawberry stuff??? I also have CVS brand Cookies N Cream because they are clearanced right now. I definitely wouldn't pay full price for it as it's not that great, but for the $3 I paid for it, I'll use it up :)
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Does whey keep you fuller? I love the EAS brand. Both taste great! But I heard body fortress (some brand at walmart) is a nice price and good too. So I might try that next. I totally agree with you Train Insane! What store can you buy the optimum brand?

My boyfriend used to drink Body Fortress (vanilla).. it smelled awful. Like something was rotting.. it was really bad. :/

I love Optimum Nutrition. I buy it from GNC for like $26. And it's definitely VERY filling in my opinion! From what I've noticed about protein powder, you pay for what you get in regards to taste.
  • maddyg1989
    maddyg1989 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Currently, I use muscle milk. I mix it with chocolate almond milk to enhance flavor. quite yummy. I avoid anything soy because it messes with my hormones and I gained a freakin ton of weight.

I also like BSN Dessert shakes (banana pudding!!!!!) and GNC Amp chocolate is pretty good too.

It all really depends on what you're looking for in a protein powder and you'll have to try it for yourself. Usually, GNC will let you sample a powder before you buy.
  • smartin9912
    smartin9912 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    BSN- Dessert or Synthra 6
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    I use Body fortress and six star pro nutrition from walmart. About $15-20. I eat them for breakfast sometimes, and especially after a workout. Add egg whites for added protein, you cant taste them. I tried adding cottage cheese to, taste ok. Makes it tangy.

They keep me full for about 3-4 hours.